XPEnology Community

Looking to buy a system to run this

lpstudio

In this case you should consider building an ESXi whitebox that will allow you to run XPEnology on standalone mode or in VM mode, and any other VMs actually, depending on your needs of the day. Check this link for an example of build. But I wouldn't go for a thin mini itx, I'd choose the micro-ATX Intel DQ77MK motherboard (one of the NIC is compatible with ESXi and probably with standalone XPEnology), and one of these CPU : low power, VT-d compatible and at least 4 threads.

I recently bought the following components for my new ESXi:

• ASRock Z77 Pro4-M
  • Intel Xeon E3-1230v2
  • 16GB-Kit Kingston HyperX

This setup supports VT-D, DirectPath and Hyperthreading for ESXi

Currently running XPEnology 4.1 with a single WD RED 2TB (as vmdk)

In the next days I'll try to passthrough a PCIe SATA Controller with the WD RED directly to XPEnology in the hope of better performance

For the future I really hope someone builds DSM 4.2 for ESXi

Thanks guys I have tried a vmware install on my i5 3570k just to check it out and wasn't too sure what to use for a gateway in dsm but everything works well. My son has an older i5 750 and was wondering the fact that it doesnt support vt-d is a big deal considering I will only be using one virtual machine.

• 3 weeks later...

Just as an FYI.

I have a DS212+ and it runs Sickbeard, couchpotato and sabnzb just fine. (admittedly sabnzb doesn't download as fast on the nas as if I run it from my pc, but it still manages 3.5MB/s, so only takes 5mins to download a HD tvshow). So you may want to reconsider splashing cash on new kit to run the hacked version if a suitable DS would suffice.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the following configuration since i prepared this NAS for FreeNAS:

CASE: Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced

CPU: AMD E-350 1,6Ghz Dual Core - Zacate (comes with the MB)

MB: Gigabyte E-350N (17cmx17cm mITX with 4 SATA ports, CPU included, Dual Channel 1066 RAM)

RAM: GeIL Black Dragon 16GB (2 x 8GB. Cheap. ZFS on FreeNAS was needing lots of RAM)

FAN: Noctua NF-S12B FLX (replaced the side 80mm fan with this one. It's really silent and has exceptional performance)

PSU: Seasonic S12II-430 Bronze 430W (overkill, but the fan doesn't spin and when it spins, it also helps the ventilation)

HDD1: Western Digital RED (WD30EFRX)

HDD2: Western Digital RED (WD30EFRX)

HDD3: Seagate Barracuda (ST3000DM001)

HDD4: Seagate Barracuda (ST3000DM001)

Additionally, these following 3 items are not compatible:

1). PCI-SATA-eSATA 4 CHANNEL, 4 PORT RAID CARD

2). USB 3.0 Network Adapter 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit LAN, RJ45

3). APC UPS ES700 VA

Sound meter: 37dBi (nice and quiet)

Watt meter: 55W in full load (wasn't really keen to measure it in idle)