XPEnology Community

Tutorial: installing 918+ 6.2.X DSM on 1.04b loader (transcoding)

Olegin

Hi guys, 

i recently migrated from loader v1.023 (3617xs, DSM 6.1.7) to loader v1.04b (918+, DSM 6.2.1)  and successfully migrated my data without using any custom extra.lzma. I am using an ASRock J4105 with an Intel 1000CT and a valid SN and MAC addresses. VT-D is disabled in the BIOS but the output of cat /usr/syno/etc/codec/activation.conf differs slightly:

{"success":true,"activated_codec":["aac_dec","aac_enc","h264_dec","h264_enc","hevc_dec","ac3_dec"],"token":"5da51973db56e3f7457a4d8a259d1f00"}

I am missing the "hevc_enc", "vc1_dec","vc1_enc" here. /dev/dri does exist.

/dev/dri$ ls
card0  renderD128

I played around with tvheadend server and wanted to use HEVC transcoding, unfortunately tvheadend is "unable to open hevc_vaapi encoder".

Anyone got a clue for me?

Edited by Timmey22

Hi i have running fine with LSI LSI 9207-8i and a 2 port 1G card. But recently I changed the network card to a X550-T2 10G card, it caused the LSI crashed or not detected.

If both are in, my hdd and volume will not show. but the 10G interfaces all ok.

If I removed the 10G card, the LSI is ok.

If I run the synology on top of esxi 6.7 I can detected both card. But after i passthru them, the LSI will crashed after sometime and become not passthru again.

I changed to run bare metal, as long as the X550 card is in, my volume cant be detected, I only managed to get it detected once but after reboot is gone again.

Any idea? how should I troubleshoot this?

- DSM version prior update: DSM 6.2.2

- Loader version and model: v1.04b - 918+

- Using custom extra.lzma: NO

- Installation type: BAREMETAL -

mb: asrock z370m pro4

cpu: i7-8700

LSI 9207-8i

X550-T2 network card

Additional comments: volume not detected, LSI not working after change to X550-T2. 

Edited by badbad2000

Hi,

I found these files in cd /dev/dri card0 and renderD128 . Using cat /usr/syno/etc/codec/activation.conf command i got this:

{"success":true,"activated_codec":["aac_dec","aac_enc","ac3_dec","hevc_dec","h26        4_dec","h264_enc","mpeg4part2_dec","vc1_dec","vc1_enc"],"token":"e12d2eb91847807         19a966f8d9f93e0dc"}.

I have a 20mbps bitrate h264 movie transcoded (to low quality) offline via video station and the estimated time to finish as about 50 minuttes (The hateful eight). Also watch a same bitrate movie online via plex at the same time. No buffering at all.

My CPU usage goes upto 90 % for a couple of seconds then down to 10 - 30 % for like 10 - 20 seconds and keeps repeating.

Can anyone tell me how can i recognize if its sw or hw transcoding? I have asrock j4105 and 6.2.1

Thank for any help

Edited by premikkoci

On 1/15/2020 at 1:03 AM, mattail said:

This is great, thanks.

Does the current 918+ loader works with coffee lake CPUs also?

I ran mine with a i5-9600K. (6.22 918+ 1.04b) xpenology was fine, but, at that time at least, plex didn't support hw transcoding on it correctly, so I swapped it for an i3-8100, and since moved to an overclocked i3-8350K. no changes were required anywhere in xpenology.

On 1/19/2020 at 5:37 PM, badbad2000 said:

Hi i have running fine with LSI LSI 9207-8i and a 2 port 1G card. But recently I changed the network card to a X550-T2 10G card, it caused the LSI crashed or not detected.

If both are in, my hdd and volume will not show. but the 10G interfaces all ok.

If I removed the 10G card, the LSI is ok.

If I run the synology on top of esxi 6.7 I can detected both card. But after i passthru them, the LSI will crashed after sometime and become not passthru again.

I changed to run bare metal, as long as the X550 card is in, my volume cant be detected, I only managed to get it detected once but after reboot is gone again.

Any idea? how should I troubleshoot this?

- DSM version prior update: DSM 6.2.2

- Loader version and model: v1.04b - 918+

- Using custom extra.lzma: NO

- Installation type: BAREMETAL -

mb: asrock z370m pro4

cpu: i7-8700

LSI 9207-8i

X550-T2 network card

Additional comments: volume not detected, LSI not working after change to X550-T2. 

I have something very similar with no issues. I have an HP LBA (LSI based) for the extra 8 SATA ports, I have an HP dual 10GigE (SFP+) NIC, even an intel SSD750-400 NVME SSD in there. motherboard is an asus prime a 390. DSK to date, 918+, v1.04b, no extra.lzma, baremetal, i3-8350

On 1/15/2020 at 9:10 PM, Timmey22 said:

{"success":true,"activated_codec":["aac_dec","aac_enc","h264_dec","h264_enc","hevc_dec","ac3_dec"],"token":"5da51973db56e3f7457a4d8a259d1f00"}

I am missing the "hevc_enc", "vc1_dec","vc1_enc" here. /dev/dri does exist.

/dev/dri$ ls
card0  renderD128

Im also missing hevc_enc, but i do got some others. No hevc_enc, and thus no hw transcoding in plex for hevc. This is a bummer since half of my library is h265. Does anyone know more about this problem?

cat /usr/syno/etc/codec/activation.conf

{"success":true,"activated_codec":["hevc_dec","aac_dec","aac_enc","h264_dec","h264_enc","mpeg4part2_dec","ac3_dec","vc1_dec","vc1_enc"],"token":"x"}

On 1/24/2020 at 9:57 PM, mervincm said:

I have something very similar with no issues. I have an HP LBA (LSI based) for the extra 8 SATA ports, I have an HP dual 10GigE (SFP+) NIC, even an intel SSD750-400 NVME SSD in there. motherboard is an asus prime a 390. DSK to date, 918+, v1.04b, no extra.lzma, baremetal, i3-8350

Cool that it runs fine on such new hardware. I'm surprised that your 10Gig ethernet NIC is supported also. 

Hello,

Thanks again for this guide ive been able to get transcoding working on a couple of machines.

i can confirm this works great with both i3-8100 and i5-8400 coffee lake cpus

I just want to ask, since i am building a new machine, would an i5-6500 with Intel HD 530 graphics work for this?

My reasons for the question are because i could not get this to work on Intel hd/uhd 610 (g4560), so i went for intel hd 630 and that worked.

But i have not tested on intel 530 graphics, plan to purchase cpu with hd 530, but have read 530 only has support for 8 bit hevc transcodes. 

Will that effect anything with this?

Edited by Captainfingerbang

1 час назад, Captainfingerbang сказал:

I just want to ask, since i am building a new machine, would an i5-6500

Transcoding work's on intel processors from 4th generation (Haswell) or later with GPU on board.

Edited by Olegin

On 1/28/2020 at 11:59 AM, The_Dave said:

@Olegin I have the same ASRock J4105-ITX that you have and can't get hw transcode to work with the latest dsm. As it seems that you're also not running hw transcode on your system, I wonder if it's even possible right now. Could someone halp me on that?

There are many people with the same problem. Just downgrade to 6.2.1-23824.

16 hours ago, Captainfingerbang said:

My reasons for the question are because i could not get this to work on Intel hd/uhd 610 (g4560), so i went for intel hd 630 and that worked.

that depends of the dsm version and maybe what driver pack you use

the new driver pack will have three varietys, one with jun's driver, one without juns drivers using the 918+ delivered drivers with additional firmware to support more gpu's (synology only delivers apollo lake firmware with dsm) and one that "disables" the i915 drivers for problem cases where loading the i915 driver crashes the system on boot

atm my conclusion is that gemini lake will not have /dev/dri with 6.2.2 and the drivers we have now, so J40xx/J41xx/J50xx will have to stay <6.2.2 to use hardware transcoding, if thats not needed then 6.2.2 is possible with gemini lake too

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/31/2020 at 5:48 AM, Olegin said:

Transcoding work's on intel processors from 4th generation (Haswell) or later with GPU on board.

Hi,

I have instantaneous reboot on Haswell CPU (35w i5 4460T).

Not random, it just reboots EVERY TIME I touch the slider while viewing a Video station content on the web browser player.

Power supply is generous (750w), I tried two of them.

Can you please help me? I have posted here too: 

Hi. I am using Xeon e52673v3  2,4ghz/4.0 turbo, 12 core/24 threads with Xpenology as Virtual Machine. I want to make new install of it-  will DSM918 platform be better to use for transcoding or DS3617 because it can use more threads than 918?

On 1/31/2020 at 8:46 PM, IG-88 said:

that depends of the dsm version and maybe what driver pack you use

the new driver pack will have three varietys, one with jun's driver, one without juns drivers using the 918+ delivered drivers with additional firmware to support more gpu's (synology only delivers apollo lake firmware with dsm) and one that "disables" the i915 drivers for problem cases where loading the i915 driver crashes the system on boot

atm my conclusion is that gemini lake will not have /dev/dri with 6.2.2 and the drivers we have now, so J40xx/J41xx/J50xx will have to stay <6.2.2 to use hardware transcoding, if thats not needed then 6.2.2 is possible with gemini lake too

Where can i find the driver pack and how to install it?

Im using:

DSM 6.2.1-23824 Update 6

1.04b

J4105

Thanks in advance

Edited by Silver Fang

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2019 at 11:13 AM, Olegin said:

I modified extra.lzma for 1.04b (thank's @TeleDDim for idea).

Ho to change it on working xpenology:

Admin@your_DS:~$ sudo -i 
Password: 
root@your_DS:~# mkdir -p /tmp/synoboot_part1 
root@your_DS:~# cd /dev
root@your_DS:/dev# mount -t vfat synoboot2 /tmp/synoboot_part1 
root@your_DS:/dev# ls /tmp/synoboot_part1
checksum.syno  extra2.lzma  extra.lzma  grub_cksum.syno  rd.gz  Sone.9  zImage
root@your_DS:/dev# cd /
root@your_DS:~# chown -R root:root /your_path_with_new_extra.lzma/extra.lzma
root@your_DS:~# chmod+x /your_path_with_new_extra.lzma/extra.lzma
root@your_DS:~# cp /your_path_with_new_extra.lzma/extra.lzma /tmp/synoboot_part1/
root@your_DS:~# exit

And reboot your system from webGUI.

What's new:

1. Guys say that working HDD hibernation, I can not check, because Docker and a VMM is running in my xpenology.

2. VM's now caching RAM and increased the speed of copying files for which RAM size is sufficient.

HDD:

1170103736_.png.a78251ba441c3bb8f3dba0394bb9d9ce.png

SSD:

1622762242_.png.a108ab3789ef28311c0af304598dfe90.png

Please try and report here 😉

Hi!

How have you modified the extra.lzma to solve Hibernation?
I use an extra.lzma to make my realtek network card work and if I put yours it stops working. Can you help me?

• 5 weeks later...