XPEnology Community

Tutorial: installing 918+ 6.2.X DSM on 1.04b loader (transcoding)

Olegin

@skodik
I use the same Mainboard.

Only one of the network cards are working fine with xpenology. ( The bottom one ). For the other one, there is now driver available.

Also the Driver pack from IG-88 is not working with that Board. After replacing both files, no network card as dedected anymore.

Kind Regards

On 9/21/2019 at 2:43 PM, mervincm said:

Plex has just released a new version of plex media server with hardware transcoding support on linux with Intel 9th gen CPU. Before I buy one to upgrade my NAS, can anyone confirm functionality in Xpenology?

Specifically

- 918+

-6.2.X DSM

-1.04b loader

-Plex media server with plex pass and hw transcoding enabled

-Intel 9th gen CPU with built in iGPI HD630, eg. i5-9600k

I use Intel 8700k with Asrock Z390 Itx/ac , disable wifi, boot legacy ,  16 ram corsair 32000 , 5  Seagate Iron Wolf  10Tb and 1 SSD Adata SU800 for Cache work Very good and Fast  with Plex  Version 1.18.0.1944 and work very well can Transcode 3 movies in 4K simultaneous and  other Server stuff  the main problem is  the Temp rise to 88 degrees!  

The next Upgrade will be Quadro P2000 to be Hardware and release the Cpu for other stuff ! 

On 10/16/2019 at 11:24 PM, bearcat said:

@antec Have you verified that you will be able to use the Quadro P2000 for Plex hw transcoding in XPEnology?

HI! bearcat I am testing for it , that will be  my new project on Xpenology , Win 7 ,8.1,& 10 all ready have it  by driver ... also Unraid. 

In the use of hardware trascoding  will of the case Will give you about 10 to 15 in 4k simultaneous and 9 % load CPU.

On 10/17/2019 at 12:57 AM, antec said:

The next Upgrade will be Quadro P2000 to be Hardware

xpenology/DSM is nas appliance not a normal linux, the most problems here come from missing divers that often need to be provided "externally"

i've never seen a driver for nvidia on xpenology yet, so even if plex could do it on linux, without a kernel driver you will not be able to use this card/hardware in any way in xpenology (3615/17, 918+)

Edited by IG-88
  • Like 1

On 9/23/2019 at 10:12 AM, dragosmp said:

I don't think if you set the same SN and Mac on several device will still work OK. 

Try to find a different SN 

@mervincm I have Intel® UHD Graphics 610 on G5400 gold series is a 9th Gen cpu

So it's a good probability that the 9th Gen cpu will work. 

work specifically to hardware transcode plex? this functionality is brand new, so it would have just started working.

On 25/10/2019 at 02:14, IG-88 said:

inserire almeno un processore Intel di quarta generazione (haswell)?

non penso che non funzionerà con quel vecchio hardware AMD

provare 3615/17 con il caricatore 1.03b

Thanks but I don't think I'll update the processor.  So the ds918 + will never work on my HP Proliant?  It was to have a DSM as updated as possible.  As with the 3615 DSM it does not have the updated router list and I cannot find my FRITZ! Box 7590. How can I update the router list?

1 hour ago, tomfon87 said:

As with the 3615 DSM it does not have the updated router list and I cannot find my FRITZ! Box 7590. How can I update the router list?

why do you think 918+ has support for 7590?

there seems to be a "db"

/var.defaults/lib/portforward/routerdb/FritzBox

but in 918+ there is only 7170, 7270v3, 7390

if compared with the 3615 image, it looks the same

but if there would be a newer version it looks like it could be as simple as copying the content of /var.defaults/lib/portforward/

just extract the pat file synology offers for downloading and extract the files in question

edit:

i had a closer look and

/var.defaults/lib/portforward/router_upnp.db.default contains inforamtion about 7590 (9018+ AND 3615 - both taken from latest 6.2.2 pat file))

[AVM Berlin/FRITZ!Box 7590/avm]
support="yes"
max="100"
support_change_port="yes"

Edited by IG-88

My setup: Asrock J3455-ITX DSM 6.2.2-24922 Update 4 v1.04b (tested with DSM 6.2.2-24922 Update 3 without success as well)

Clean install with photo and video station installed.

sn and mac from original 918+, mac = hardware mac

cat /usr/syno/etc/codec/activation.conf

{"success":true,"activated_codec":["hevc_dec","h264_dec","h264_enc","vc1_dec","vc1_enc"],"token":"9dc6b1c1cc5c6a31fe4773445ce23394"}

No /dev/dri

No transcoding. Any idea what could be wrong with my setup? Thank you.

• Thanks 1

Hi all,

I have setup my NAS (Jun 1.04b loader) with realtek NIC and dummy serial number. Needless to say, hardware transcode was not working by default and the contents of  /usr/syno/etc/codec/activation.conf was {"success":false,"msg":"SN format is wrong."}

I went through this thread, which said that hardware transcoding can be achieved using real SN and MAC. I guess the real MAC needs to be flashed in my NIC.
Alternately i tried this trick and it worked for me.

Open the grub.cfg file and update these
set sn=<original-SN>
set mac1=<your-existing-MAC>
set mac2=<original-MAC>

After this modification, following is the contents of the /usr/syno/etc/codec/activation.conf file
{"success":true,"activated_codec":["h264_dec","h264_enc","mpeg4part2_dec","aac_dec","aac_enc","hevc_dec","vc1_dec","vc1_enc","ac3_dec","mpeg4part2_enc"],"token":"a686af0830fd070505494ed7d9787f2f"}

Hardware transcode is also working as expected :)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Edited by CA50
cannot post from site, need to use tapatalk :(

Jun 1.04b loader for 918+, latest DSM, ASUS Z170i Pro Gaming, Pentium G4620, Intel 219v onboard LAN. Found SN/pair of MACs from real 918+, set my grub.cfg (on working system) with these MACs, rebooted… voila! There was MAC override (not default onboard 219v MAC, but MAC1 from grub.cfg), and there was hardware transcoding as well! «Enable hardware acceleration» became enabled in Videostation settings, hardware transcoding from 4K mkv to non-4K Android works like a charm.

{"success":true,"activated_codec":["hevc_dec","h264_dec","h264_enc","aac_dec","aac_enc","vc1_dec","vc1_enc","mpeg4part2_dec","ac3_dec","mpeg4part2_enc"],"token":"4972376d6aa1634d96ea8b06b98964a7"}

Thanks for the comprehensive guide!

Weird though, when I initially setup my USB key, I booted the machine with a spare hdd and did the install and it just gave “success true” message, I kept the same USB key and moved my other hdd from my 3615xs setup and did a migration preserving settings, and thought I’d just check and this is the message I got. HW transcoding does work just fine in plex. Maybe I just don’t worry about it...

• 1 month later...

hi,

i succesfully installed 6.2.2 update 4 on a ASROCK J4105 and did now the check:

cd /dev/dri -->No such file or directory --> the same for the activation.conf....

I did the real3x mod with replacing the extra.lzma but not deleting the extra2.lzma and no driver clean up.

May thats the problem?

On 1/3/2020 at 8:17 AM, chilly said:

hi,

i succesfully installed 6.2.2 update 4 on a ASROCK J4105 and did now the check:

cd /dev/dri -->No such file or directory --> the same for the activation.conf....

I did the real3x mod with replacing the extra.lzma but not deleting the extra2.lzma and no driver clean up.

May thats the problem?

From what has been said, no one has gotten hw transcoding to work with this mobo/cpu combo.  I have the same board and am anxious to get it working. 

3 hours ago, toyanucci said:

From what has been said, no one has gotten hw transcoding to work with this mobo/cpu combo.  I have the same board and am anxious to get it working.

really? that looks like it would if done properly

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/14222-asrock-j4105-itx-test-transcoding-etc-with-asrock-j5005-itx-will-be-the-same/?tab=comments#comment-119798

there would be no difference between 6.2.1 and 6.2.2. when using jun's normal extra.lzma drivers with 6.2.1 now as i'm using them in my new driver test version for 6.2.2

only things that make a difference atm is if you use jun's i915 driver at all or the one's coming with DSM (using real3x extra.lzma without jun's new i915 driver)

i've done some documentation and J4105 (as J5005) would be a geminilake gpu (Intel UHD Graphics 600) using glk*.bin firmware and there is no refference in the original DSM i915.ko driver to that

just bxt (apollolake), kbl (kabylake) and skl (skylake), as there only seems to be bxt firmware coming with 918+ dsm i guess only Intel HD Grraphics 500/505 based cpus will work ootb (J3xxx, J4200, J4205)

people with network driver problems on 6.2.2 will have it solved with the new driver package but there are also other problems that might be wrong interpreted like when a system hangs because of load problems with i915 driver (in some cases its a monitor connected to the system, in some is it the lack of monitor connected in other even active vt-d in bios might be a problem) - symptom might be that it cant be found in network after boot but source has not to be the nic and i guess there are a lot of cases where its blamed to the nic and in reality its about gpu driver - its hard to see as there is no console to see the messages when booting (only few people are able to use the serial console to diagnose this)

i dont expect to much success even with a new/better driver package i will release soon (there will be a version without new i915 drivers too) as most people don't understand the reasons to why the system does not show up in network (and in some cases people even miss to look in the network on the dhcp server to see that the system came up and wait on the screen for a message that never will come) -  and even trying 3615/17 instead 918+ is not guaranteed to work, on my own new hardware i use for testing now the 3615/17 loader stops right after loading the kernel and not even gives a messages on the serial console

Edited by IG-88
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question regarding my xpenology server I hope you guys can help me with.
Currently I have an intel core I7-6600T (skylake) CPU installed. After some firmware upgrades, I see now that my motherboard supports Kaby lake processsors.
As Skylake does not support HVEC 10bit encode/decoding (8-bit only) would it be possible just to swap CPU without going through bootloader install again?
The reason for this is just to take advantage of the kaby lake updated encoding/decoding support as much of the 4K movies sources today are now encoded in HVEC x.265 10-bit.

Edited by mattail