XPEnology Community

Tutorial: installing 918+ 6.2.X DSM on 1.04b loader (transcoding)

Olegin

On 8/3/2019 at 1:27 AM, real3x said:

The jun's r8168 driver panic > [    5.449298] in your boot log

Since there's no new compiled driver for realtek and most of the realtek NIC stop to work since the 6.2.2-24922 update, you have to attach another NIC to your motherboard.

For note In your boot log, DSM is booting fine (but no lan)

hope for new realtek driver.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Can I get some help?

root@DiskStation:~# cd /dev/dri
-ash: cd: /dev/dri: No such file or directory
root@DiskStation:~# cat /usr/syno/etc/codec/activation.conf

{"success":true,"activated_codec":["hevc_dec","aac_dec","aac_enc","h264_dec","h264_enc","mpeg4part2_dec","ac3_dec","vc1_dec","vc1_enc"],"token":"

Running :

[    0.000000] DMI: HP ProLiant ML10 v2, BIOS J10 05/21/2018
CPU Intel i3-4150

DSM 6.2.2

1.04b 

Don`t know how to enable it.

On 9/16/2019 at 8:41 AM, dragosmp said:

Hi everyone,

Can I get some help?

root@DiskStation:~# cd /dev/dri
-ash: cd: /dev/dri: No such file or directory
root@DiskStation:~# cat /usr/syno/etc/codec/activation.conf

{"success":true,"activated_codec":["hevc_dec","aac_dec","aac_enc","h264_dec","h264_enc","mpeg4part2_dec","ac3_dec","vc1_dec","vc1_enc"],"token":"

Running :

[    0.000000] DMI: HP ProLiant ML10 v2, BIOS J10 05/21/2018
CPU Intel i3-4150

DSM 6.2.2

1.04b 

Don`t know how to enable it.

Neither do I, I have opposite issue, I have dec/dri folder but no codec/activation.conf

used legit Sn and Mac but after install complete both numbers looked different than what was inputted 

On 9/20/2019 at 10:54 AM, snowfox said:

Hi,everyone,

I use usb stick to install DSM918+_23824 with  jun’s loader 1.04b on  Asrock J5005 ITX,but when it reboot,synology assistant can't find it!

How can I solve this problem?   

I need your help.

Thank you!

Try a different usb disk.

Fresh install.

root@DiskStation:~#  cat /usr/syno/etc/codec/activation.conf

root@DiskStation:~# ls -all /dev/dri/
total 0
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root        80 Sep 21 22:49 .
drwxr-xr-x 12 root root     18920 Sep 21 23:01 ..
crw-rw----  1 root video 226,   0 Sep 21 22:49 card0
crw-rw----  1 root video 226, 128 Sep 21 22:49 renderD128

New Setup:

Intel Gold G5400

Gigabyte GA-B365M-DS3H

USB: Kingston

Loader 1.04b with extra.lzma attached on post 4 or 5

DSM 6.2.2-24922 Update 3

Codec list worked only after I installed Photo Station and added a video. fffmpeg started, only after that codec.conf was availble.

Edited by dragosmp

Plex has just released a new version of plex media server with hardware transcoding support on linux with Intel 9th gen CPU. Before I buy one to upgrade my NAS, can anyone confirm functionality in Xpenology?

Specifically

- 918+

-6.2.X DSM

-1.04b loader

-Plex media server with plex pass and hw transcoding enabled

-Intel 9th gen CPU with built in iGPI HD630, eg. i5-9600k

Still didnt work :-(

Tried new usb, tried a SN and mac posted here,

I have dev/dri and after installing ds video and playing a video file codec appears but sn wrong format error

Tried again with my newly acquired legit sn/mac and it now works.. haswell pretty limited though

root@TestNAS:~# cat /usr/syno/etc/codec/activation.conf

{"success":true,"activated_codec":["h264_dec","h264_enc"],"token":""}

Edited by merve04

Hello,

I have a j4105-itx and I want to transcode.
I put the SN and 2 MAC published by @Ziemowit

total 0
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 80 Sep 23 10:56.
drwxr-xr-x 13 root root 18800 Sep 23 11:09 ..
crw ------- 1 root root 226, 0 Sep 23 10:56 card0
crw ------- 1 root root 226, 128 Sep 23 10:56 renderD128

{"success": false, "msg": "SN format is wrong."}

Because it can be?
Try reinstalling the DSM, installing video station, photo station and putting a video.

DSM 6.2.1-23824 Update 6

Greetings.

Hello, I already have transcoding working but I have some doubts.

- DS video does not play DTS audio, install ffmpeg and stay the same, can anything be done?
- Some covers go wrong in DS video, how can I change them or not put anything?
- Plex when transcoding uses the CPU and not the GPU, do I have to have Plex PASS ?.

Thank you.

5 hours ago, guillep84 said:

Hello, I already have transcoding working but I have some doubts.

- DS video does not play DTS audio, install ffmpeg and stay the same, can anything be done?
- Some covers go wrong in DS video, how can I change them or not put anything?
- Plex when transcoding uses the CPU and not the GPU, do I have to have Plex PASS ?.

Thank you.

Transcoding in plex work only with Plex Pass

12796 ? Sl 0:01 \_ /volume1/@appstore/Plex Media Server/Plex Transcoder -codec:0 h264 -hwaccel:0 vaapi -hwaccel_fallback_threshold:0 10 -hwaccel_output_format:0 vaapi -codec:1 dca -ss 5.9519989999999989 -analyzeduration 20000000 -probesize 20000000 -i /volume1/public/download/Dark Phoenix (2019)/Dark.Phoenix.2019.1080p.BluRay.x264-GECKOS[rarbg].mkv

Hello,

I'm looking for a PCI Express x1 NIC that I can use on my Asrock J5005-ITX MB.

I have tried an Intel 82574L NIC but it is not supporting a fresh install (with DSM latest version) on baremetal. Internal NIC is disabled and MAC adress of 82574L NIC has been replace by a real Synology MAC adress.

Do youhave any PCI Express x1 NIC to recommend ?

2. Transcoding (needs sn and mac from real syno hardware)

I'm using my friends SN and MAC address, but after a fresh install cd /dev/dri shows nothing.

-sh: cd: /dev/dri: No such file or directory

cat: /usr/syno/etc/codec/activation.conf: No such file or directory

What did I miss?

1.04b bootloader, DSM 6.2.2-24922 Update 3
Asrock J4105

Edited by BullFrog

Hi, 

I am trying to install the D918+ with 1.04b loader on my setup with ASRock H370M-ITX/ac board. I am able to create bootable usb, boot from it but my Synology Web Assistant is not able to find my NAS. I was thinking, could it be problem with SerialNumber that I have? Is there somewhere any good tool for generating SN for 918+? Do you guys have any tips how to trubleshoot this? 

Thanks

14 hours ago, skodik said:

am trying to install the D918+ with 1.04b loader on my setup with ASRock H370M-ITX/ac board. I am able to create bootable usb, boot from it but my Synology Web Assistant is not able to find my NAS

if its not found in network (and the cpu is at least 4th gen intel) then its most likely a "to new" nic

beside trying a older intel nic or a realtek 8168/8111 based nic you can also try my new extra.lzma, it contains the latest e1000e driver witch should support you newer onboard intel nic

(i will have a better version in a view days but if you try with a empty disk and a separate usb drive there should be no issues with your current installation)

On 9/21/2019 at 10:43 PM, mervincm said:

Plex has just released a new version of plex media server with hardware transcoding support on linux with Intel 9th gen CPU. Before I buy one to upgrade my NAS, can anyone confirm functionality in Xpenology?

Specifically

- 918+

-6.2.X DSM

-1.04b loader

-Plex media server with plex pass and hw transcoding enabled

-Intel 9th gen CPU with built in iGPI HD630, eg. i5-9600k

Hi @mervincm I was also wandering if its possible upgrade to a 9th gen with Plex's latest release. Were you successful in your endeavour or not risked it yet?

23 hours ago, IG-88 said:

if its not found in network (and the cpu is at least 4th gen intel) then its most likely a "to new" nic

beside trying a older intel nic or a realtek 8168/8111 based nic you can also try my new extra.lzma, it contains the latest e1000e driver witch should support you newer onboard intel nic

(i will have a better version in a view days but if you try with a empty disk and a separate usb drive there should be no issues with your current installation)

Thank you, that could help. What if I cannot see izma file in mounted image? 

Edited by skodik
simplification

3 minutes ago, skodik said:

s how to work with izma files? where to place them etc?

it mentioned in the install tutorial

juns loder (img) has 3 partitions, 1st has the grub.cfg you need to edit for vid/pid of your usb device

2nd contains the extra.lzma, also the 2nd partition can be accessed by windows, so its using osfmount like with the 1st or replacing the extra.lzma later by just connecting it to a windows computer, kind special about the 1.04b 918+ is that it has two extra.lzma's, you need to replace both

Just now, IG-88 said:

it mentioned in the install tutorial

juns loder (img) has 3 partitions, 1st has the grub.cfg you need to edit for vid/pid of your usb device

2nd contains the extra.lzma, also the 2nd partition can be accessed by windows, so its using osfmount like with the 1st or replacing the extra.lzma later by just connecting it to a windows computer, kind special about the 1.04b 918+ is that it has two extra.lzma's, you need to replace both

Thank you very much, I am going to find some windows computer :D I am on mac and the mounting is a bit difficult, but I give it a try.