XPEnology Community

Tutorial: installing 918+ 6.2.X DSM on 1.04b loader (transcoding)

Olegin

The jun's r8168 driver panic > [    5.449298] in your boot log

Since there's no new compiled driver for realtek and most of the realtek NIC stop to work since the 6.2.2-24922 update, you have to attach another NIC to your motherboard.

For note In your boot log, DSM is booting fine (but no lan)

• Like 1

It's been a while since I was here on this forum. I'm currently running DSM 6.1 on the DS3215xs 1.02b loader and would like to upgrade to 6.2 but also take the avantage of HW decoding from the DS918+ loader as it is mostly used as a Plex media server. 
I have read this thread but some things are still not quiet clear to me before proceeding.
I have the following hardware:

CPU:  Intel core I7-6700T (Skylake)
MB:   ASRock E3C236D2I
NIC1: Intel i210
NIC2: Intel i219

Could someone be so kind to confirm if I'm correct that in order to get HW transcoding to work:
- A valid synology serial number is required but should it be unique? By that I mean that in this thread someone posted 2 valid serials. Can these be used or MUST the S/N be unique and not shared by others?

- The NICs mac address must match the serial number?
- Is it correct that the Intel i219 NIC is not supported in this loader? I use one of the NIC for IPMI which is I think is nice and would like to keep this functionality.

Thanks.

Edited by mattail

I am getting invalid serial when looking at var/log/messages with the the serial listed in this thread, so i am looking for a real working one as well :(

with that being said, you can you install just fine with it, but a few features does not work.

Edited by NooL

I just realized how difficult it is to find a PCIE 1x Intel NIC (my motherboard has just 1 PCIE1x slot)

Even using an older DSM would still result in the 1.04 bootloader lacking the NIC driver using your extra.lzma on 1.04.. so I think I'm really out of options here..

No one else here using a J4105 or a J5005 who can confirm about the impossibility of having a working transcoding?

Edited by ilgrank

Quick question - well, sort of :)

I have my main rig, still running 1.02b loader as 916+ with DSM v6.1.4-15217 (ASRock N3150). For testing purposes I've bought a ASRock N3050 which is from architectural standpoint basically the same.

When I try loader 1.04b for 918+ I couldn't install anything else but v6.2-23739. I couldn't install v6.2.2-24922 straight away (not sure why). To update, what is the currently recommended method? Download the latest via Control Panel > DSM Update? Or manually install a pack via Control Panel > DSM Update? Or during boot select 'reinstall' option then in the installation menu select 'migrate'? I've spent 2.5 days trying various methods but I think I'm missing something rather simple.

@bearcat

I have 2 real MAC's specified in the grug config.

It seems to only be applied to one though, the second one is seem with its original mac. So as i see it, i have 1 spoofed NIC and 1 non-spoofed.

I tried hitting it on both internal ip's but none of the NIC's made it wake up.

Edited by Polanskiman

@bearcat Well to be honest, i didnt really try sending "Magic Packets" as such.

My previous setup was a genuine DS413j, that would wake from sleep automatically when/if i tried to access it either via Web (Both LAN/WAN), via DLNA or via CIFS, so no specific magic packet was needed? I was under the impression that i could get the new Xpenology box to work the same way, maybe this is not the case?

While i have you here - is the general consensus that NVME on Baremetal xpenology installation is no-go? I have 2xNVME slots installed in the motherboard, they are seem by bios and i suppose by the OS, but i get this in /var/log/messages:

2019-08-17T18:25:08+02:00 DiskStation synostoraged: nvme_dev_port_check.c:29 Failed to get slot informtion of nvme0n1

2019-08-17T18:25:08+02:00 DiskStation synostoraged: nvme_dev_port_check.c:29 Failed to get slot informtion of nvme1n1

Is there any way to fix it?

Edited by NooL
Quote + addition

15 minutes ago, NooL said:

My previous setup was a genuine DS413j, that would wake from sleep automatically when/if i tried to access it either via Web (Both LAN/WAN), via DLNA or via CIFS, so no specific magic packet was needed? I was under the impression that i could get the new Xpenology box to work the same way, maybe this is not the case?

While i have you here - is the general consensus that NVME on Baremetal xpenology installation is no-go? I have 2xNVME slots installed in the motherboard, they are seem by bios and i suppose by the OS, but i get this in /var/log/messages:

2019-08-17T18:25:08+02:00 DiskStation synostoraged: nvme_dev_port_check.c:29 Failed to get slot informtion of nvme0n1

2019-08-17T18:25:08+02:00 DiskStation synostoraged: nvme_dev_port_check.c:29 Failed to get slot informtion of nvme1n1

I know this is not the answer to your question but I'm very curious whether you got hardware transcoding to work or not?

@mattail I did get transcoding to work yes, it did take a few attempts with combinations of serial/mac and reinstallations as follows - but that was as much me wanting to learn what triggered what in the installation process.

So yeah its working and you just need to INSTALL it with a valid SN/mac combination to have it working, i dont recommend changing it after installation.

To be able to spoof it 100%, quickconnect Et al. - you need to install it with a REAL sn/mac, but this is a bit unethical so not recommended on the forum.

{"success":true,"activated_codec": ["h264_dec","h264_enc","mpeg4part2_dec","hevc_dec","aac_dec","aac_enc","vc1_dec","vc1_enc"],"token":"token"}

I also noticed that the codecs in the activated list seem to appear as files are converted. So in my case it started by only showing h264_dec","h264_enc, then i downloaded a test WMV (VC1) codec file, uploaded that to Photostation, waited until it was converted and then "vc1_dec","vc1_enc" was added to the list as well.

I hope this helps you :)

Edited by NooL

@mattail np, let us know how it turns out :)

5 hours ago, NooL said:

Quoting myself as it got buried a bit :)

Could someone suggest me the process on what to do if my system WAS hw transcoding with Real SN/MAC but after i changed hardware now its not showing hw transcoding?

Photo Station is NOT making thumbnails for Videos anymore. 😓

Look at the attached images of my ssh. Does this mean i have hardware Transcoding Working but software Transcoding NOT Working?

DEV DRI FOR XPEN.PNG

putty #2.PNG

Edited by Captainfingerbang

So my backup finished today and went on with installing the 1.04b loader for DS918+ with DS918+_24922.pat.

The first try didn't went so good, at boot up I chose the option to keep DSM settings and migrate data but I experienced stability issues, I was temporary loosing network connection to the NAS. So i rebooted and chose 2nd option in grub menu which is "re-install" then at DSM boot up I chose this time to make a clean DSM install but keep my data. This solved alle problems.

The UI is now very snappy, quicker than ever before. 
I went on and installed Plex media server to check if hardware transcoding was working but I'm a bit confused if whether HW transcoding is working or not.
I tried to play a few 4K movies through the plex web client and didn't see the "HW transcoding" symbol that is usually shown when transcoding is running.

So my question is does this message from ssh below mean that HW transcoding should work?

image.thumb.png.57d6850652941850e8231c58b8143fb8.png

Maybe someone using Plex have any ideas?

Il y a 2 heures, mattail a dit :

So my question is does this message from ssh below mean that HW transcoding should work?

Nope, this only mean that with your serial you have activate codec for sinology soft like video station, photo station ...

For plex you can check in your plex client if you see the "HW transcoding" (like you did) or via ssh launch a htop and see if you have a line with vaapi -hwaccel ... like this :

2074578936_Capturedcran2019-08-2401_57_14.thumb.png.ea04e88aac2865a3e02042847cfef1b6.png

3 minutes ago, real3x said:

Nope, this only mean that with your serial you have activate codec for sinology soft like video station, photo station ...

For plex you can check in your plex client if you see the "HW transcoding" (like you did) or via ssh launch a htop and see if you have a line with vaapi -hwaccel ... like this :

2074578936_Capturedcran2019-08-2401_57_14.thumb.png.ea04e88aac2865a3e02042847cfef1b6.png

Thanks for the clarification @real3x . I'll check the plex logs later it's getting late here.

But I'm pretty sure it's working now the "hw" symbol is now showing in the plex dashboard and most important the cpu load is insanely reduced.  

Just want to say thanks to Olegin.

My Real SN/MAC must have gotten blacklisted i don't know but my transcoding stopped working for like months.

I got a new  Real SN/MAC and instead of taking FOREVER to backup restore, his method for

installing to new FRESH HDD Plus new FRESH USB, backing up .dss, and deleting rm -f /etc.defaults

got my system back up, WITH transcoding, KEEPING all my data,  its a thing of beauty! 

Once again Olegin is the MAN! Cheers! 🤗🤗😆😆

And thanks to Polanskiman as well

13 hours ago, Captainfingerbang said:

Just want to say thanks to Olegin.

My Real SN/MAC must have gotten blacklisted i don't know but my transcoding stopped working for like months.

I got a new  Real SN/MAC and instead of taking FOREVER to backup restore, his method for

installing to new FRESH HDD Plus new FRESH USB, backing up .dss, and deleting rm -f /etc.defaults

got my system back up, WITH transcoding, KEEPING all my data,  its a thing of beauty! 

Once again Olegin is the MAN! Cheers! 🤗🤗😆😆

And thanks to Polanskiman as well

Can you please point to this method?