XPEnology Community

Tutorial: installing 918+ 6.2.X DSM on 1.04b loader (transcoding)

Olegin

В 22.04.2019 в 15:36, sanyle сказал:

but can not be used when playing video ( Can only be played using source files).

On-line HW trancoding works in the Video station and Plex (needs Plex pass) only. Some one said that it works in the Media server, but I didn't try to use it.

Скрытый текст

628794588_.thumb.png.2786db880c72efa1462226184d04a708.png

7 minutes ago, Olegin said:

On-line HW trancoding works in the Video station and Plex (needs Plex pass) only. Some one said that it works in the Media server, but I didn't try to use it.

Reveal hidden contents

628794588_.thumb.png.2786db880c72efa1462226184d04a708.png

Thank you for your answer, I have solved it myself. From ESXI to ProxmoxVE, I can use Video Station's online hardware decoding.

Hi guys.

I succesfully installed DS918+ 6.2.1 with Jun's 1.04b bootlader.

My hardware:

HP ProDesk 600 G1 SFF

Intel Celeron G1840 (2C/2T) 2.8Ghz

Intel Q85 Express chipset

4GB RAM

Intel I217-LM Network

Everything is stable but connection speed is only 100mbit. I understand it's because of drivers in loader but my question is: can I buy module network controller to get 1Gbit? (and if i can which chipset should it be?)

PS. Sorry for my english, didn't use it for a while.

Edited by komanek

• 1 month later...

An update for you all. 

Thanks to olegin for the guide first off

You got me setup with hardware transcode on my pentium g4560 b250m hardware. 

As for the xeon e3-1225v3 I gave up. 

Haswell is just to old for my needs plus the xeon igpu is lame. 

I'm waiting for an i5-8400 I got off ebay for $99 usd, but I'm worried that won't be enough for my needs. 

See My 918+ has serviio as well as backups going along with many other programs. Emby is my transcoding program, and also library of 5tb of movies and TV shows to scan. 

I Need this to Online transcode 1-2 streams of uhd Hevc to 1080p on top of all these other programs at the same time. 

With all that said, I got a z390 board cheap and this i5-8400 on the way. 

Does anyone have similar setup? 

Can anyone share if they think this will be enough? 

Should I just get a i7-8700 so I don't have to worry? 

2 часа назад, Captainfingerbang сказал:

Can anyone share if they think this will be enough? 

This will be more than enough for home use. DSM on the g4560 would also more than satisfy your needs.

You can see the parameters of the system using the htop command in the terminal/ssh.

Here I wrote how DSM runs on celeron J4105.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again.

So i have new motherboard z390 and i5-8400. they have arrived.

I'm using real sn/mac and i dont want anything to change so that i can still use QSV. 

I'd like to use same flash drive with xpen, same case and keep everything on hard disks, except change motherboard and cpu out.

My motherboard is compatible i've already tested. I will put sata in correct ports.

Can i simply remove old 1150 haswell motherboard and put in new 1151 coffee lake 

motherboard? And everything should work? or do i need a newly created flash drive?

Edited by Captainfingerbang
add text

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Just installed 1.04b and DSM 6.22 (latest, it was automatically downloaded) on an Asrock J4105-ITX

Worked at first try, thanks!

The only doubt I have is that after enabling SSH, I checked

/dev/dri ->Folder does not exist
 cat /usr/syno/etc/codec/activation.conf ->File does not exist.

I have used the MAC and S/N of a real DS918 btw, but my NIC S/N does not match the one in the config.. maybe this could be the problem?

25 minutes ago, ilgrank said:

Hi

Just installed 1.04b and DSM 6.22 (latest, it was automatically downloaded) on an Asrock J4105-ITX

Worked at first try, thanks!

The only doubt I have is that after enabling SSH, I checked

/dev/dri ->Folder does not exist
 cat /usr/syno/etc/codec/activation.conf ->File does not exist.

I have used the MAC and S/N of a real DS918 btw, but my NIC S/N does not match the one in the config.. maybe this could be the problem?

you had a previous install on the drive and you didn't format the disk, the boot arguments in dmesg shows DS918 SN?

23 минуты назад, ilgrank сказал:

You may have made a mistake adjusting sn and mac in grub.cfg. If so, you will need to reinstall the DSM completely by removing /etc.default  and rebooting to activate the codecs.

Hi! I have a question, about two weeks ago that it does not connect me to the quickconnect, it has been disabled and I have no way of logging in again. Is it possible that he suffered a ban? although in the synology website it does, but in the xpenology no. Any suggestions?

17 hours ago, x01015918 said:

Hi,

if anyone is interested to fix the boot with vd-t enabled, you can use the following kernel parameters 

iommu=soft iommu=pt intel_iommu=on

Hi,

Can you clarify on this a little bit?  I have j3455m and have vt-d on but not sure what you mean by fix the boot?

Thanks

On 7/25/2019 at 11:48 AM, Olegin said:

You may have made a mistake adjusting sn and mac in grub.cfg. If so, you will need to reinstall the DSM completely by removing /etc.default  and rebooting to activate the codecs.

Hi @Olegin

I checked the SN and MAC and they were right (Even tho real DS918 has 2 nics, and I just used the MAC from the first nic)

Just to play on the safe side tho, I just formatted both the USB key and the single sata ssd I had used for the test.

Double-checked the grub.cfg and both the Serial and the MAC1 are correct (ie: same as phisical DS918+)

set vid=0x0781
set pid=0x5408
set sn=17C0PDN88xxxx
set mac1=00113287xxxx
set rootdev=/dev/md0

(of corse in place of 'xxxx' are the relative values)

yet, after a complete reinstall:

admin@DS918:/$ ls /dev/dri
ls: cannot access /dev/dri: No such file or directory
admin@DS918:/$ cat /usr/syno/etc/codec/activation.conf
cat: /usr/syno/etc/codec/activation.conf: No such file or directory
admin@DS918:/$

I'm surely missing something (first time Xpenology for me). I also had in mind to flash the MAC of my NIC to make it the same as in grub.conf, but If I undestand correctly, Jun's bootloader will trick DSM into reading the MAC of grup.conf so there should be no benefit in flashing my mobo's integrated (realtek) nic, right?

Edit: confirmed in DSM that indeed the reported MAC is the one in grub.conf and not the HW one.

Edit2: Tried with another SN/MAC combo from anther real DSM918 and got the same result (ie: both /dev/dri and activation.com nonexistant)

Many thanks!

Capture.PNG

Edited by ilgrank
update

On 7/25/2019 at 11:46 AM, x01015918 said:

you had a previous install on the drive and you didn't format the disk, the boot arguments in dmesg shows DS918 SN?

Hi @x01015918

Actually, yes, DMESG shows correctly both serial, model and MAC.

[    0.000000] Kernel command line: syno_hdd_powerup_seq=1 HddHotplug=0 syno_hw_version=DS918+ 
vender_format_version=2 console=ttyS0,115200n8 withefi elevator=elevator quiet syno_hdd_detect=0
syno_port_thaw=1 root=/dev/md0 sn=17C0PDN88xxxx mac1=00113287xxxx netif_num=1vid=0x0781 pid=0x5408
[    0.000000] Power on seq num: 1
[    0.000000] Synology Hardware Version: DS918+
[    0.000000] Vender format version: 2
[    0.000000] SYNO GPIO hdd detect pin: 0 
[    0.000000] Serial Number: 17C0PDN88xxxx
[    0.000000] Mac1: 00113287xxxx
[    0.000000] Internal netif num: 1

I don't know if it is normal, but there's also a:

[    3.828376] Got empty serial number. Generate serial number from product.

attached the complete DMESG output, with just the last 4 digits of SN and MAC redacted.

Thanks for your help!

dmesg.txt

Edited by ilgrank
update

On 7/28/2019 at 5:31 PM, real3x said:

Yes, i mean, with the jun's i915 driver who is in the stock 1.4b extra.lzma and with a modified extra.lzma without the i915 driver so DSM use the i915 from syno.

You can try my extra with instructions > >

Hello @real3x!

After fixing my issues with RS232, I tried your extra.lzma

Since this is a test system for me, instead of following the instructions I modified the 2nd partition of 1.04b image to include your extra.lzma instead of Jun's one (attached pic) and reinstalled from scratch.. should be the same thing, right?

alas, still no  /dev/dri and no /usr/syno/etc/codec/activation.conf

(Attached also the new DMESG, seems to have the same kernel panic?)

Any idea?

Many thanks!

modded_original.PNG

dmesg_real3x.txt

Edited by ilgrank

Sorry @real3x , but I'm a bit new on this.. so to clarify: I'm doing a a new install from scratch, so i have no /usr/lib/modules/update/ to remove. I'm working directly on Jun's Synoboot.img.

So to recap, I have to remove both extra.lzma and extra2.lzma from synoboot.img ,  and the replace just extra.lzma with the one you made, right?