XPEnology Community

Tutorial: installing 918+ 6.2.X DSM on 1.04b loader (transcoding)

Olegin

19 hours ago, mervincm said:

Can you please confirm a few things?

did you use the serial in the USB image, or did you change it to generated serial?  maybe a real serial?

did you burn any mac addresses into your Intel NIC? did you add those into the mac1 and mac2 entries on the USB image?

can you confirm if you have any other video card in your system? any monitor connected or headless?

can you confirm the contents of your conf file with this    cat /usr/syno/etc/codec/activation.conf

I am stuck trying to burn the MACs into my dual-headed NIC, and I am really hoping it's not actually required for plex (I didn't have to do it for plex on my Haswell system)

If I can get to where you are maybe we can work on it together.

Have you tried the 20mbps HEVC HD jellifish sample file to determine if you get the quality deterioration issue when it hw transcodes to a web client set to MAX bitrate?

http://jell.yfish.us/media/jellyfish-20-mbps-hd-hevc.mkv

- Tested the jellyfish at maximum.   HW Transcoding confirmed and no quality issues observed.

2 hours ago, spankaroo said:

- Tested the jellyfish at maximum.   HW Transcoding confirmed and no quality issues observed.

Well, I just built a fresh xpenology in my i3-8100 exactly as described, and sure enough, it PLEX transcodes in (hw) exactly as you said! I used the "real" Synology SN and macs but didn't burn the macs into the NICs. Also the bug with low quality on the 20Mbps HD HEVC jellyfish sample file is gone!

With Hardware transcoding enabled I can play up to the 45Mbps HD HEVC, but it fails on the 50 Mbps file, the same as in Ubuntu.  Also just like Ubuntu, w software transcoding the 50 works fine. This is good to know.  I was stuck on trying to burn the NICs!

I have no issue with pauses or freezing on regular files. Do you have a sample "problem" file that's publically available I can grab and test, see if I can replicate your issue?

Edited by mervincm
fixed wording

12 hours ago, mervincm said:

Well, I just built a fresh xpenology in my i3-8100 exactly as described, and sure enough, it PLEX transcodes in (hw) exactly as you said! I used the "real" Synology SN and macs but didn't burn the macs into the NICs. Also the bug with low quality on the 20Mbps HD HEVC jellyfish sample file is gone!

With Hardware transcoding enabled I can play up to the 45Mbps HD HEVC, but it fails on the 50 Mbps file, the same as in Ubuntu.  Also just like Ubuntu, w software transcoding the 50 works fine. This is good to know.  I was stuck on trying to burn the NICs!

I have no issue with pauses or freezing on regular files. Do you have a sample "problem" file that's publically available I can grab and test, see if I can replicate your issue?

I think I'm good now.   I guess I just needed to read more...    I had subtitles enabled on my tests.   Transcoding with subtitles is a killer apparently.

So, I can now get 4 x 4K movies HW transcoding to 8mbps and 2mpbs streams.     I think that's pretty good.   

After doing a lot more reading I think I'll start keeping a 1080p version of all of my movies alongside the 4K copies anyway.

I have pretty much the same result as you on the jellyfish tests.   45Mbps works, 50 fails.    Though I notice dropped frames/stuttering when watching the jellyfish 35Mbps and higher.   Not all the way through, but at certain parts.     

8 hours ago, mervincm said:

It appears the difference is actually the CPU. I swapped out the i5-9600K and in the i3-8100, and changed nothing else, hw transcoding (QSV) started working.

given the fact that CPU turbo is not functional, the i3-8100 seems to be a pretty good choice. 

So in short, 8th gen cpu's are capable of hw transcoding, but 9th gen not yet. I haven't heard anyone say that hw transcoding is working on their 9th gen coffee lake

On 3/18/2019 at 9:28 AM, Ziemowit said:

Halo, again

Olegin > any idea that I'm missing /dev/dri folder and cat /usr/syno/etc/codec/activation.conf file ?? HW Transcoding doesn't work obviously.

1.04b / DSM_DS918+_23739.pat08-Jul-2018 23:16 252M ( from Syno website )

CPU i3-7100u (GPU HD620)

Video Station Installed

Multimedia Server Installed

Real SN / Mac

What can I do more ?? I have only one network card so far i219v working very good.

I make another installation using extra.lzma and serial from DS2419+, still the same:

cat /usr/syno/etc/codec/activation.conf: No such file or directory

Videostation - didn't start playing wideo

Transcoding offline - gives operation failed

Plex - HEVC 10bit Transcoding CPU 100 % no HW

1 hour ago, Ziemowit said:

I make another installation using extra.lzma and serial from DS2419+, still the same:

cat /usr/syno/etc/codec/activation.conf: No such file or directory

Videostation - didn't start playing wideo

Transcoding offline - gives operation failed

Plex - HEVC 10bit Transcoding CPU 100 % no HW

I had the same issue, no activation.conf after installing video station. I tried installing photo station and uploaded a video to it. When it started converting the activation.conf appeared. If convertion failes, you should be able to see why it failed in the log.

3 hours ago, juliantje15 said:

I had the same issue, no activation.conf after installing video station. I tried installing photo station and uploaded a video to it. When it started converting the activation.conf appeared. If convertion failes, you should be able to see why it failed in the log.

Ok small progress

activation.conf - {"success":true,"activated_codec":["h264_dec","h264_enc","mpeg4part2_dec","hevc_dec","aac_dec","aac_enc","ac3_dec","vc1_dec","vc1_enc"],"token":"4d4948dee9505182466289153c23c279"}

/dev/dri - doesn't exist

On Videostation only h.264 work, HEVC does not. On HEVC transcoding offline the same - operation failed ( nothing more just this )

1 hour ago, Ziemowit said:

/dev/dri - doesn't exist

On Videostation only h.264 work, HEVC does not. On HEVC transcoding offline the same - operation failed ( nothing more just this )

I haven't yet tried transcoding HEVC on my nas so i don't know why that's not working.

What i also don't have is the /dev/dri folder, but i think that's because my igpu (UHD 610) is to new.

Edited by juliantje15

16 minutes ago, juliantje15 said:

I haven't yet tried transcoding HEVC on my nas so i don't know why that's not working.

What i also don't have is the /dev/dri folder, but i think that's because my igpu (UHD 610) is to new.

The vid is 8086 and the pid is 3e90, and according to this database it is supported since kernel 4.13.

Since the newest bootloader uses 4.4 i'm wondering if it's possible to backport the driver from 4.13 to 4.4.

Main is HD 620 with vid 8086, pid 5916 supported since 4.5-4.7 :(

For test I downloaded to photo station mp4 4K hevc file and it's still making transcoding with 96 % CPU usage

6 minutes ago, Ziemowit said:

Main is HD 620 with vid 8086, pid 5916 supported since 4.5-4.7 :(

For test I downloaded to photo station mp4 4K hevc file and it's still making transcoding with 96 % CPU usage

I edited my post because i'm not 100% sure if this is the root problem of the /dev/dri not showing up. I created a new topic with the question if it is possible to backport a newer driver to 4.4 kernel.

3 minutes ago, juliantje15 said:

I edited my post because i'm not 100% sure if this is the root problem of the /dev/dri not showing up. I created a new topic with the question if it is possible to backport a newer driver to 4.4 kernel.

One more progress Videostation can play Highbitrate 80 Mbps h264 4k HDR file in mp4 format 3-9b% CPU, I will try extract from mkv only video and check it

Have an Intel E3-1225 V5 Skylake processor and I've been trying to get hardware transcoding to work but have had no luck.

/dev/dri exists.

"cat /usr/syno/etc/codec/activation.conf" returns:

{"success":true,"activated_codec":["aac_enc","aac_dec","hevc_dec"],"token":"123456789abcde"}

I'm not sure why it says there is only three supported codecs. Any suggestions?

Hi everyone

Thanks all for your hard work and contribution

I succesfully  upgraded my Dsm 6.2.1 to dsm 6.2.2 and in the same time i changed all the hardware .

Before :

3615xs DSM 6.2.1 , jun’s loader 1.03b

Mobo : Asus p8h67-i

Cpu : intel core i3 2100

4gb ddr3 1600

NIC : pci-e x1 Dual-port intel

SN: used XPEnology New Serial Generator

MAC: used the nic mac

Now :

918+ Dsm 6.2.2 , jun’s loader 1.04b

Mobo : Asrock Z270M-ITX/AC

Cpu : intel core I5 7400

4gb ddr4 2133

NIC : 2 onboard  Intel

SN: used a serial posted by Ziemowit (ty)

MAC:  used the nic mac

I used ‘migrate’ at installation to keep all the settings.

The 2 intel nic from the asrock motherboard works perfectly ( i made a bond ) and Hardware transcoding works perfectly in PLEX witthout doing anything except activating HW transcoding in plex setting.

Edited by 59dine

On 3/31/2019 at 10:14 PM, juliantje15 said:

So looking at 59dine hardware with i5-7400 its HD 630 Graphics with PID 5912 also suported  since 4.5-4.7 and working with this I'm not sure that the problem is cooperating with this.

2 hours ago, 59dine said:

Hi everyone

I used ‘migrate’ at installation to keep all the settings.

The 2 intel nic from the asrock motherboard works perfectly ( i made a bond ) and Hardware transcoding works perfectly in PLEX witthout doing anything except activating HW transcoding in plex setting.

Can You tell us what do You have using "cat /usr/syno/etc/codec/activation.conf" and does /dev/dri exists in Your instalation ??

32 минуты назад, Ziemowit сказал:

Can You tell us what do You have using "cat /usr/syno/etc/codec/activation.conf" and does /dev/dri exists in Your instalation ??

If the folder and codecs are present in your system ypu will use hw tranccoging in  Video station and Plex.  Read this my post.

Il y a 1 heure, Ziemowit a dit :

https://ibb.co/BPS2L4H: Plex HW

cpu % in dsm when transcoding: https://ibb.co/vLDC8hy

when i use the command with activation.conf i have the result "success": false , msg: "Sn format is wrong"

I have the folder /dev/dri whith 2 fils in it.

I will try another SN to see if SW transcoding work too.

Edited by 59dine

2 hours ago, Olegin said:

If the folder and codecs are present in your system ypu will use hw tranccoging in  Video station and Plex.  Read this my post.

I know this post, I just asked about dir /dev/dri, because on 7100u it doesn't exist, it's very nice to know that on i5-7400 exist. 

10 hours ago, Ziemowit said:

So looking at 59dine hardware with i5-7400 its HD 630 Graphics with PID 5912 also suported  since 4.5-4.7 and working with this I'm not sure that the problem is cooperating with this.

Hmm, thats strange, but good for him. I'm still trying to figure out what i can do to backport the driver, but since i'm busy with school I currently don't have so much time to look into it.

Hi everyone,

I installed DS918+ 6.2.1 but i have some issues related to shutdown/reboot. I cannot shutdown the system. Meanwhile when I reboot, I cannot find the synology on synology assistant. How to fix these. Tks so much :(

My system:

Main+CPU: ASROCK J3455-ITX

Custom extra.lzma: No

Edited by lollipop8x

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, after the tutorial configuration,

the '/dev/dri'  directory has the following files,

I can use offline hw transcoding (using the ''top'' command to see that it is indeed hardware transcoding),

but can not be used when playing video ( Can only be played using source files).

Does anyone know what the reason is?

Forgive me for my bad English.