XPEnology Community

Tutorial: installing 918+ 6.2.X DSM on 1.04b loader (transcoding)

Olegin

В 08.03.2019 в 22:33, Captainfingerbang сказал:

Can i simply swap this new hardware in, and the dev/dri folder will show up?

Or will i have to do some kind of re-installation?

Try to install on fresh HDD with new fash with loader. If it'll be work try to reinstall on your own HDD by deleting /etc.defaults folder in ssh.

Halo, again

Olegin > any idea that I'm missing /dev/dri folder and cat /usr/syno/etc/codec/activation.conf file ?? HW Transcoding doesn't work obviously.

1.04b / DSM_DS918+_23739.pat08-Jul-2018 23:16 252M ( from Syno website )

CPU i3-7100u (GPU HD620)

Video Station Installed

Multimedia Server Installed

Real SN / Mac

What can I do more ?? I have only one network card so far i219v working very good.

resault

2 часа назад, Ziemowit сказал:

What can I do more ?

When I tried to connect my working HDDs & flash to new mb (Asrock 4105-itx), I had the same resault. I think, that there is only one way - try to reinstall DSM on new mb.

2 hours ago, Olegin said:

resault

When I tried to connect my working HDDs & flash to new mb (Asrock 4105-itx), I had the same resault. I think, that there is only one way - try to reinstall DSM on new mb.

But it's completely new installation from scratch.

My HP Gen8 still working separately, I didn't move anything from old one.

I also tried installing videostation.  Still no /dev/dri,  but I did get the error in /usr/syno/etc/codec/activation.conf

{"success":false,"msg":"SN format is wrong."}

So, my videostation transcode does not work.  that being said, on the old systemboard I had working hardware transcode in PLEX, so I don't think the serial and MAC is important for PLEX hardware transcode. 

It would be interesting to compile a list of what people were able to get working.  As an example

I can confirm haswell CPUs will support hw transcode with 104b+DS918+ 6.2 patched to date+plex+plexpass.

I can not get 9xxx coffee lake refresh CPU w Z390 board+104b+DS9618+ 6.2 patched to date+plex+plexpass to support hw transcode (I don't think this is possible yet)

Has anyone got 8xxx coffee lake CPU w z390 (or any other) 104b+DS9618+ 6.2 patched to date+plex+plexpass to support hw transcode? (I don't think this is possible yet)

Has anyone got 7xxx kaby lake CPU + chipset 104b+DS9618+ 6.2 patched to date+plex+plexpass to support hw transcode? (should work)

Has anyone got 6xxx  sky  lake + chipset 104b+DS9618+ 6.2 patched to date+plex+plexpass to support hw transcode?  (should work)

Edited by mervincm

5 часов назад, mervincm сказал:

I also tried installing videostation.  Still no /dev/dri,  but I did get the error in /usr/syno/etc/codec/activation.conf

Try to reinstall on the fresh HDD with the new usb flash.

Precisely hw&sw transcoding works on i3-8100.

20 hours ago, Olegin said:

Try to reinstall on the fresh HDD with the new usb flash.

Precisely hw&sw transcoding works on i3-8100.

OK I just purchased a new systemboard (B360) i3-8100 / ram / case

Plan is

-wiped HDD

-wiped USB key,

-freshly downloaded 1.04b loader and DSM OS.

-correct pid/vid/real synology 918+ serial number, and 2 real synology MACs

step 1 burn real synology 918+ MACs to my NIC

step 2 config pid/vid/serial/macs into boot USB image

step 3 install DSM.

step 4 confirm  /dev/dri,  and /usr/syno/etc/codec/activation.conf

I have created bootable freedos USB-drive with Rufus

So far I have not been able to find a utility to wipe either of my 2 port Intel NICs

1 HP 2x10GiG intel 560SFP+ (1rst choice) or 

1 HP 2x1GB intel HP NC360T (2nd choice)

Work continues!

Hello everyone!

I have a Gigabyte b360m-d3h with an Intel Pentium G5400T cpu. At first i couldn't get the ethernet port working (Intel i219-v), but with the extra.lzma provided at (https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/12859-driver-extension-jun-103a2dsm62x-for-ds918/) it worked using 1.04b and dsm 6.2 for DS918+. I couldn't not get 6.2.1 to work, and i read that it had something to do with non official pci devices that are not supported with that version.

I have a genuine s/n + mac, and software transcoding with video station and photo station is working.
At first, software transcoding didn't work, even after installing video station i still got the following message: 
cat: /usr/syno/etc/codec/activation.conf: No such file or directory. 

I had to install photo station, and try to convert a video, and after that it worked and gave the following: cat /usr/syno/etc/codec/activation.conf
{"success":true,"activated_codec":["h264_dec","h264_enc","mpeg4part2_dec","hevc_dec","aac_dec","aac_enc"],"token":"123451234123"}

However, I can't get hardware transcoding to work. I dont have a /dev/dri folder, and both Plex and Video station are transcoding via software.
I guess I'll have to wait until the coffe lake 9th gen cpu's are supported?

2 минуты назад, geoninja сказал:

I using 1.04b and dsm 6.2 for DS918+, but transcode don't work because my serial is not good. Do you know if i need serial/mac from 918+ or with another for exemple 2415+ couple valide it's work ?

Try and tell for us 😉

Hello All,

I using 1.04b and dsm 6.2 for DS918+, but transcode don't work because my serial is not good. Do you know if i need serial/mac from 918+ or with another for exemple 2415+ couple valide it's work ?

I use mac and sn from an RS model and it works.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, geoninja said:

Hello All,

Work perfectly ! thank a lot !

On 3/18/2019 at 10:09 PM, mervincm said:

So, my videostation transcode does not work.  that being said, on the old systemboard I had working hardware transcode in PLEX, so I don't think the serial and MAC is important for PLEX hardware transcode. 

It would be interesting to compile a list of what people were able to get working.  As an example

I can confirm haswell CPUs will support hw transcode with 104b+DS918+ 6.2 patched to date+plex+plexpass.

I can not get 9xxx coffee lake refresh CPU w Z390 board+104b+DS9618+ 6.2 patched to date+plex+plexpass to support hw transcode (I don't think this is possible yet)

Has anyone got 8xxx coffee lake CPU w z390 (or any other) 104b+DS9618+ 6.2 patched to date+plex+plexpass to support hw transcode? (I don't think this is possible yet)

Has anyone got 7xxx kaby lake CPU + chipset 104b+DS9618+ 6.2 patched to date+plex+plexpass to support hw transcode? (should work)

Has anyone got 6xxx  sky  lake + chipset 104b+DS9618+ 6.2 patched to date+plex+plexpass to support hw transcode?  (should work)

Can confirm:  i5 8400 coffee lake w/Asrock Z390M  Pro 4 + 16GB RAM + Intel dual NIC PCIE + 104b+ 6.2.1patched to date + plex + plexpass.   Transcoding is working.

-- but --    I see (hw) on both decode and encode to confirm hw transcoding..  but I can't get any more than 1 stream without buffering and pauses all the time.   

I even get pauses every few minutes with 1 4k stream being transcoded  (HEVC 31500 kbps 4k mkv transcoded to 2mbps 720p).

It has 4 x 6TB WD Red drives (RAID 5 + btrfs no checksum)  and 2 x 256GB Samsung SSD's (raid1 + btrfs no checksum volume2 used for transcode folder location).

Don't know what to do now.

Edited by spankaroo

5 hours ago, spankaroo said:

Can confirm:  i5 8400 coffee lake w/Asrock Z390M  Pro 4 + 16GB RAM + Intel dual NIC PCIE + 104b+ 6.2.1patched to date + plex + plexpass.   Transcoding is working.

-- but --    I see (hw) on both decode and encode to confirm hw transcoding..  but I can't get any more than 1 stream without buffering and pauses all the time.   

I even get pauses every few minutes with 1 4k stream being transcoded  (HEVC 31500 kbps 4k mkv transcoded to 2mbps 720p).

It has 4 x 6TB WD Red drives (RAID 5 + btrfs no checksum)  and 2 x 256GB Samsung SSD's (raid1 + btrfs no checksum volume2 used for transcode folder location).

Don't know what to do now.

Can you please confirm a few things?

did you use the serial in the USB image, or did you change it to generated serial?  maybe a real serial?

did you burn any mac addresses into your Intel NIC? did you add those into the mac1 and mac2 entries on the USB image?

can you confirm if you have any other video card in your system? any monitor connected or headless?

can you confirm the contents of your conf file with this    cat /usr/syno/etc/codec/activation.conf

I am stuck trying to burn the MACs into my dual-headed NIC, and I am really hoping it's not actually required for plex (I didn't have to do it for plex on my Haswell system)

If I can get to where you are maybe we can work on it together.

Have you tried the 20mbps HEVC HD jellifish sample file to determine if you get the quality deterioration issue when it hw transcodes to a web client set to MAX bitrate?

http://jell.yfish.us/media/jellyfish-20-mbps-hd-hevc.mkv

Edited by mervincm
add test file details

3 hours ago, juliantje15 said:

Just curious, but did you ever get the onboard network card of your motherboard to work on 6.2.1?

Never tried.   I assumed it wouldn't work and I had several PCIE Intel NICs hanging around from various other ESXi projects in my past.   

Actually, I have another ESXi build right now with the same onboard NIC and I had to jump through many hoops to get that working so I just expected it wouldn't work on my Xpenology project.

6 hours ago, mervincm said:

Can you please confirm a few things?

did you use the serial in the USB image, or did you change it to generated serial?  maybe a real serial?

did you burn any mac addresses into your Intel NIC? did you add those into the mac1 and mac2 entries on the USB image?

can you confirm if you have any other video card in your system? any monitor connected or headless?

can you confirm the contents of your conf file with this    cat /usr/syno/etc/codec/activation.conf

I am stuck trying to burn the MACs into my dual-headed NIC, and I am really hoping it's not actually required for plex (I didn't have to do it for plex on my Haswell system)

If I can get to where you are maybe we can work on it together.

Have you tried the 20mbps HEVC HD jellifish sample file to determine if you get the quality deterioration issue when it hw transcodes to a web client set to MAX bitrate?

http://jell.yfish.us/media/jellyfish-20-mbps-hd-hevc.mkv

- I changed to a generated serial and associated mac addresses

- I didn't do anything with the Intel NIC and I didn't use the actual NIC mac addresses

- I don't have any other video card and I have tried with and without an HDMI monitor connected.   My most recent boots and tests have been done with no monitor connected.

- I don't have a folder at: /usr/syno/etc/codec but I have assumed that is because I didn't install any other video streaming tools.   I have installed Plex only.  

I admit that I skipped that part of the tutorial, simply because the folders were identified as necessary for SW encoding/transcoding.     Since the folder didn't exist, I have assumed it probably gets installed with Videostation or something like that.   I don't have it installed.

CPU usage is much higher when I switch Plex back to software transcoding.   It's down to about 13% with 1x 4K stream transcoding to 2mbps 720p.   So I can confirm that HW transcoding is in action..   Unfortunately, it just pauses every so often.    

I just googled "jellyfish hardware transcoding deterioration" and found reference to the issues you're talking about.   Will try that when I'm home tonight.