XPEnology Community

Tutorial: installing 918+ 6.2.X DSM on 1.04b loader (transcoding)

Olegin

Before you begin to change something in your working system, it is strongly recommended to make backups of your most valuable data, so you do not regret about their irretrievable loss. Everything you do is your fear and risk, no one encourages you to do it.

The easiest and most reliable way to safely try to do it, turn off all the disks and the boot flash drive from the current system, take a clean disk and another USB flash drive and try to install a new version of the bootloader and the system, if it rolled, then do already on the current system.

1. How to install (described for a computer with Windows):

a) download the 1.04 b boot loader image (the original theme is here), create a directory in the root of the disk, for example, c:/918/ and put the bootloader image there

b) determine the VID/PID of the flash drive or card reader into which it is inserted (control Panel-Device Manager-USB Controllers-Your flash drive/reader-Properties-Information-hardware ID, you need to ensure that the DSM system recognizes this disk and does not try to install itself on it, if you incorrectly define and register these parameters, the istall process will crash by mistake 13)

c) download, install and run the OSFmount program, mount Partition 0 (15 Mb) from the bootloader file, remove the "Read-only drive" checkbox before mounting

d) download, install and run Akelpad, open grub/grub file.cfg on previously mounted disk, edit and save:

set vid=0xA234 #VID flash drive/reader
set pid=0xB678 #PID of flash drive/reader
set sn=1780PDN123456 #sn
set mac1=001132123456 #mac of the first network card
set mac2=001132123457 #mac of the second network card, the second and subsequent differ from the first by +1 in the last bit in the hex system
set netif_num=2 #number of network cards
set sata_args= 'SataPortMap=6' # sata controller, values: 6 - 1 controller on 6 ports; 22-2 controllers on 2 ports; 42-2 controllers, the first on 4 ports, the second on 2, etc.

Where to get sn and mac - is your headache, Google will help you, the system will be installed and will work with those that are initially registered in the bootloader, but with the restriction of the functioning of some services and modules, such as: QC, push notifications, activation of codecs for transcoding, installation of syno licenses...

e) unmount the disk in OSFmount

f) download, install and run the Rufus program and record the previously prepared image on a flash drive

g) insert the flash drive into the computer on which you plan to run xpen, connect the drives, turn on the power

h) disable the firewall in the anti-virus, in the browser type http://find.synology.com or install Synology Assistant from the syno website and find the newly installed xpen on your network

j) install DSM following the instructions of the installation program and start setting up (how to do it here is not described, because all the answers are in the syno knowledge base)

There is a utility where the main programs for Windows x64 are collected

2. Transcoding (needs sn and mac from real syno hardware)

Most likely to run on Intel processors starting from the 4th generation (Haswell), but there are nuances with motherboard models and BIOS.

Check as follows:

hardware (hw) transcoding - at the root of the system should be a directory /dev/dri with subdirectories in it, if not, but there is no HW transcoding to check - look for the directory with the terminal/ssh command

cd /dev/dri

software (sw) transcoding - some codecs must run in DSM, you can check it with the command in the terminal / ssh

cat /usr/syno/etc/codec/activation.conf

If the result is the same, sw transcoding will ran

{"success":true,"activated_codec":["h264_dec","h264_enc","mpeg4part2_dec","hevc_dec","aac_dec","aac_enc","ac3_dec","vc1_dec","vc1_enc"],"token":"123456789987654abc"} 

If there is nothing similar, there is no sw transcoding.

3. Perhaps the most optimal budget solutions with transcoding will be the following:

ASRock J4105-ITX

Asrock J5005-ITX

Who wants more - use mb with the latest generation of Intel processors with Intel i210 or realtek 8111 . But this is already determined by the size of the your wallet and the functionality that you additionally want to get from xpen.

P.S. Sorry for my english 😂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 5 weeks later...

Hi , Olegin

I successfully installed my first Xpenology. Thanks for your guide.

Hardware Specs:

Mobo: Asrock Z390M-ITX/AC

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700

Ram: Patriot 16GB

Chasis: U-NAS 410 with Noctua NH-L9i fan

HDD: Ordinary HDD from old ReadyNAS and Media Center devices.

Xpenology: DSM 6.2.1-23824 Update 4 on Jun's Loader 1.04b

Only one NIC is working, even though I added entries for mac2(Second NIC) and mac3(Wireless)

In my system info, it shows Intel Celeron J3455 Quad-Core and Number of cores as 4 only even though my processor is Intel Core i7 8700 (6 Core).

Do you have a solution to fix this issue?

25 минут назад, raeesumer сказал:

Only one NIC is working, even though I added entries for mac2(Second NIC) and mac3(Wireless)

Hi, only NIC's i210/i211 and r8111 are able to work in 6.2.1 DSM version with this loader. Syno signed own drivers and nothing more can't to be loaded yet.

Wireless adapter in M.2 socket will not working too, but you can use USB Wifi dongle to make wireless network with your xpenology.

36 минут назад, raeesumer сказал:

In my system info, it shows Intel Celeron J3455 Quad-Core and Number of cores as 4 only even though my processor is Intel Core i7 8700 (6 Core).

Do you have a solution to fix this issue?

You can ignore this information, it's not true. The right info you can see in ssh by cat /proc/cpuinfo command. Our comrade FOXBI done this script to correct displaying cpu info.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. @Olegin

I looked in /dev/dri and all i see is:

card0  renderD128

Using 918+ 1.04b with Real SN/MAC and i3-4130

Should i change CPU to E3-1225v3 for hardware transcoding? i have an extra e3-1225v3 haswell.

Why no transcoding?

oh i just see your latest post so i did what you say... 

cat /proc/cpuinfo command

my result.. Can you help me get transcoding working? i also have another Supermicro board x10-sll-f  i can use haswell i3 or e3-122v3 

BIG EDIT: i am on 6.2-23739 

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 60
model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4130 CPU @ 3.40GHz
stepping        : 3
microcode       : 0x19
cpu MHz         : 3392.348
cache size      : 3072 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 4
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 2
apicid          : 0
initial apicid  : 0
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 13
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf eagerfpu pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 sdbg fma cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm abm arat epb invpcid_single pln pts dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase tsc_adjust bmi1 avx2 smep bmi2 erms invpcid xsaveopt
bugs            : cpu_meltdown spectre_v1 spectre_v2
bogomips        : 6784.69
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes   : 39 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

processor       : 1
core id         : 1
apicid          : 2
initial apicid  : 2
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf eagerfpu pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 sdbg fma cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm abm arat epb invpcid_single pln pts dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase tsc_adjust bmi1 avx2 smep bmi2 erms invpcid xsaveopt
power management:

processor       : 2
core id         : 0
apicid          : 1
initial apicid  : 1
power management:

processor       : 3
core id         : 1
apicid          : 3
initial apicid  : 3

Edited by Captainfingerbang

11 минуту назад, Captainfingerbang сказал:

Using 918+ 1.04b with Real SN/MAC and i3-4130

Should i change CPU to E3-1225v3 for hardware transcoding? i have an extra e3-1225v3 haswell.

Why no transcoding?

Show the result of this command, please cat /usr/syno/etc/codec/activation.conf

7 minutes ago, Olegin said:

Show the result of this command, please cat /usr/syno/etc/codec/activation.conf

Thank you Guru Master Olegin

root@ahern3:~# cat /usr/syno/etc/codec/activation.conf
{"success":true,"activated_codec":["h264_dec","h264_enc","mpeg4part2_dec","aac_dec","aac_enc","vc1_dec","vc1_enc","hevc_dec","ac3_dec"],"token":"c4bb153f19962434ab57a7bcb7abd93b"}

btw i need to transcode x265/hevc/x264-4k ---->>>1080p for DLNA to Old Samsung TV.  This is my goal.

25 minutes ago, Olegin said:

Hi, only NIC's i210/i211 and r8111 are able to work in 6.2.1 DSM version with this loader. Syno signed own drivers and nothing more can't to be loaded yet.

Wireless adapter in M.2 socket will not working too, but you can use USB Wifi dongle to make wireless network with your xpenology.

You can ignore this information, it's not true. The right info you can see in ssh by cat /proc/cpuinfo command. Our comrade FOXBI done this script to correct displaying cpu info.

Thanks Olegin,

I will try this

5 minutes ago, Olegin said:

Why do you think so?

Honeslty.. I am 1-2 stage pass Noob for Synology.

My guess is that i cannot transcode x265 because my output is different than yours. I do not see HEVC in my output.

Or Maybe because i have wrong Nic info or wrong Dsm version?????

I truly do not know sir. But i am extremely grateful for your assistance 

1 minute ago, Olegin said:

What is your outputing device or you are use Video station from syno?

Yes. i have tried Serviio, Video Station, Emby, Media Station.

In fact they are all currently installed, and all running.

Also, i have yet to restart DSM or Update to Version: 6.2.1-23824 yet, since i installed everything.

I will update to Version: 6.2.1-23824 ,   then restart, and try again.

Do you suggest an output device? 

thank you kindly

AMAZING

for the first time in 2 weeks (no sleep for 3 nights) ive finally got x265 to 1080p to play on my old tv via DLNA!!!!!!!!

I cant believe it! 

Now my problem is: All video only play maybe 20 seconds, then goes to next video in Video Station.. I will google this one.

i also notice ffmpeg is running below DSM desktop in task manager which seems out of place. 

has anyone heard of dlna stop after 20 seconds and change to another video?

Each video only play 20 seconds or less

• XPEH changed the title to Tutorial: installing 918+ 6.2.X DSM on 1.04b loader (transcoding)

Hello,

This is mine:

"activated_codec":["h264_dec","h264_enc","mpeg4part2_dec","aac_dec","aac_enc","vc1_dec","vc1_enc","hevc_dec","ac3_dec"]

This is the original poster list:

"activated_codec":["hevc_dec","h264_dec","h264_enc","mpeg4part2_dec","ac3_dec","vc1_dec","vc1_enc","aac_dec","aac_enc","mpeg4part2_enc"]

mpeg4part2_enc is missing in mine... WEIRD!!

8 часов назад, ed_co сказал:

This is the original poster list:

"activated_codec":["hevc_dec","h264_dec","h264_enc","mpeg4part2_dec","ac3_dec","vc1_dec","vc1_enc","aac_dec","aac_enc","mpeg4part2_enc"]

mpeg4part2_enc is missing in mine... WEIRD!! 

Oh, sorry, it was from 916 old version.

This is from my working 918 DSM:

"activated_codec":["h264_dec","h264_enc","mpeg4part2_dec","hevc_dec","aac_dec","aac_enc","ac3_dec","vc1_dec","vc1_enc"]

Edited by Olegin

I modified extra.lzma for 1.04b (thank's @TeleDDim for idea).

Ho to change it on working xpenology:

Admin@your_DS:~$ sudo -i 
Password: 
root@your_DS:~# mkdir -p /tmp/synoboot_part1 
root@your_DS:~# cd /dev
root@your_DS:/dev# mount -t vfat synoboot2 /tmp/synoboot_part1 
root@your_DS:/dev# ls /tmp/synoboot_part1
checksum.syno  extra2.lzma  extra.lzma  grub_cksum.syno  rd.gz  Sone.9  zImage
root@your_DS:/dev# cd /
root@your_DS:~# chown -R root:root /your_path_with_new_extra.lzma/extra.lzma
root@your_DS:~# chmod+x /your_path_with_new_extra.lzma/extra.lzma
root@your_DS:~# cp /your_path_with_new_extra.lzma/extra.lzma /tmp/synoboot_part1/
root@your_DS:~# exit

And reboot your system from webGUI.

What's new:

1. Guys say that working HDD hibernation, I can not check, because Docker and a VMM is running in my xpenology.

2. VM's now caching RAM and increased the speed of copying files for which RAM size is sufficient.

HDD:

1170103736_.png.a78251ba441c3bb8f3dba0394bb9d9ce.png

SSD:

1622762242_.png.a108ab3789ef28311c0af304598dfe90.png

Please try and report here 😉

Edited by Olegin
  • Thanks 2

В 25.01.2019 в 12:13, Olegin сказал:

I modified extra.lzma for 1.04b (thank's @TeleDDim for idea).

Ho to change it on working xpenology:

Admin@your_DS:~$ sudo -i 
Password: 
root@your_DS:~# mkdir -p /tmp/synoboot_part1 
root@your_DS:~# cd /dev
root@your_DS:/dev# mount -t vfat synoboot2 /tmp/synoboot_part1 
root@your_DS:/dev# ls /tmp/synoboot_part1
checksum.syno  extra2.lzma  extra.lzma  grub_cksum.syno  rd.gz  Sone.9  zImage
root@your_DS:/dev# cd /
root@your_DS:~# chown -R root:root /your_path_with_new_extra.lzma/extra.lzma
root@your_DS:~# chmod+x /your_path_with_new_extra.lzma/extra.lzma
root@your_DS:~# cp /your_path_with_new_extra.lzma/extra.lzma /tmp/synoboot_part1/
root@your_DS:~# exit

Got error that  chmod+x: command not found.

Edited by deloza

hi,

I try to install DS918+ loader 1.04b on my asrock H270M itx/ax but i hava some trouble :

with loarder 1.02b i can see diskstation in the syno assistant

with 1.03b or 1.04b i cannot see it.

Do you know if there are some specials things to do in the bios (UEFI) ?

on my usb stick i changed only vid, pid and nic . sn is the sn by default in the grub.

thx