XPEnology Community

Using win32diskimager burn image does not boot

Cobalt2112

Hello everyone,

Excited to try this product, however I am having the following problem which does not let me even get me going.

When I burn the .IMG file to a USB drive (tried 4 different ones) on my Lenovo T430 Windows 7x64 , USBv3

Tried to boot up on 2 desktops (AMD Opteron 170 2ghz & Intel Q6600 2.4ghz quad core)

But both systems do NOT see the USB drive. One of those 2 desktops above is currently running FreeNAS and boots from a similar USB drive.

One thing that might also help diagnose is that when I burn the .IMG file to the USB, the USB is no longer visible in Windows Explorer.

I can eject it, but no longer can I see the files & folders. I thought this was by design.

Is this a reported issue and maybe another thread has a solution?

Thanks.

check your BIOS settings if you can't boot from it

after you "burned" (better wrote) the image to the stick he's not visible to windows anymore, as he uses EXT FS...so you need to install EXT FS drivers to windows to access the stick and modify the vendor...

Thanks for the reply. I am not concerned about seeing the USB drive contents, but wanted to bring that up. The issue is that any of the USB drives I tried, do not boot up. Some of the USB drives are vendor/tradeshow giveaway 2GB drives and 1 is a 8gb Kingston Datatraveller G3

i used win32diskimager (host OS = win7 ultimate) to write to several usb-sticks and SD-Cards...

they all booted up fine in different systems...

p.s. when i want to "rewrite" the stick, sometimes i have to use diskpart to delete the volume & disk from the usb, after that writing and booting is fine