XPEnology Community

Confused - Serial , Model, DSM Loader Version, DSM Version

quinla01

Hi Folks,

I've inherited an Intel NUC (I7, 32Gb Mem, 512Gb SSD) and am trying to get DSM installed. I'd really appreciate some guidance.  I'm able to boot to Jun's XPEnology USB  loader & get a DHCP address making it discoverable using http://find.synology.com however after loading the DSM *.pat image i get the 10 minutes countdown and the machine never comes back online. First time this happened i thought i'd give it another go so powered off the device and booted back into the XPEnology USB Loader expecting it to become discoverable again and try another DSM version however it still didn't come back online. I soon worked out i had to edit the grub.cfg file with a new serial number before the device picked up a dhcp address & became discoveralbe, even then i only had the option of recovering the install and when I accepted recovery it would drop offline again. I ended up having to remove all partitions on the disk before it would let me get back to the stage where i can manually install DSM. I tried another few earlier versions of DSM and each time it failed. Each time i had to remove partitions on disk and try again.  Oh, i forgot the mention I also tried replacing extra.lzma with IG-88's version. 

Anyway, I guess first questions is: What's going on? My assumption is that the Loader has correct drivers for my NIC but maybe DSM doesn't and DSM trumps the loader. Or maybe DSM is detecting XPEnology so blocking something. 

I'm also confused about all the component versions. I started using version Jun's synoboot-ds918 image as it appears to be the latest stable release that supports 6.2 & 6.2.1. However, the only serial generator i can find is for hardware versions DS3614, DS3617 * DS916. Does it matter which serial i use? I've then downloaded DSM_DS918+_23824.pat from synology and attempted to install as per above. No joy. 

Any advice appreciated. 

Thanks

1 - identify the nic used in your NUC.

2 - verify that your nic is compatible with the DSM version you are planning to install.

3 - boot from your prepared USB stick, and manually install the .pat for the DSM version you are installing

Your assumtion is correct, installing DSM on the disks, with a newer build than on the bootloader, can "destroy" your setup, if the drivers are not compatible.

edit:

4 - in regards of the serial, as long as you only have 1 running, just keep the default dummy serial, or "make" a new one based of it.

Edited by bearcat

Hi everyone, Merry Christmas. Just to follow on what quinla01 asked,  I have a few questions I was hoping someone could help with.

I have been using a DS1512+ for a few years and love it, but it's time to upgrade. I had the idea of using my old gaming rig as a NAS which is what led me to Xpenology. The specs are as follows:

i5 2500k intel cpu

16gb ram (corsair)

asus maximus gene iv / gen 3 matx motherboard

using onboard intel gigabit lan (can't remember model number but it's in the bios) and onboard graphics

other specs here: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_IV_GENEZGEN3/specifications/

I tried to install using Jun's 1.03b loader and the ds3617 image, but keep getting stuck. I followed the instructions, made the bootable usb, but as soon as I get to the "Screen will stop updating shortly" message, nothing happens. I can't find the server using synology assistant, nor ssh into it, nor connect via web gui. So I can never actually install DSM on the server. 

What I was hoping for some help on was, first of all, how do you decide what image and loader version to use? Is it based on hardware or desired features or what? Since I'm using an older motherboard should I be using an older image? There are so many versions of bootloaders and pat files to choose from but I'm not clear how to choose, so I just picked the most recent sounding versions. 

Is my hardware compatible? What would cause the loader to hang on boot or for synology assistant not to find the server?

Which mac address am I supposed to enter? The sever's network adapter mac address or the mac address of the  pc I'm using to configure the usb stick? 

My motherboard has a 2 port Marvel 6gbp sata controller (sata 0-1) and a 4 port intel 3gbps sata controller (sata 2-5). What should I change "SataPortMap=??" to?

I reset bios to defaults and disabled C1E... are there any other bios settings I need to change?

Sorry for all the newbie questions, just would love to get this working. I installed freenas which did install correctly, but I much prefer DSM, so if there is a way to use Xpenology that would be great. 

Thanks!

I was hoping to have an SSD boot / OS drive and 5 drives in raid 5. Plus I'd like the option to install more if possible using an extra sata controller (my case can take 8 drives and 2 ssds)

But that brings me to another question... I tried using 1.04b loader but I don't know where to get the serial number for the ds918+ image... can I use the serial number from the ds3617 ?

Ok, if you need more than 4 disks then my suggest is idiot and fool. Sorry.

Booting from internal HDD/SSD is either impossible or very hard to solve. Xpenology is made for booting at an external usb stick.

Edited by Guest

@DfdsThanks for your advice. No matter what I tried with 1.03b, i wasn't making any progress. on 1.02b, synology assistant found it right away and I was able to install DSM 6.1.7. So does that mean I'm out of luck to upgrade to 6.2? In any case, appreciate your help. 

Oh, can I install minor updates? Like DSM 6.1.7 update 2 for example?

Edited by a575606
forgot to add

2 hours ago, a575606 said:

@DfdsThanks for your advice. No matter what I tried with 1.03b, i wasn't making any progress. on 1.02b, synology assistant found it right away and I was able to install DSM 6.1.7. So does that mean I'm out of luck to upgrade to 6.2? In any case, appreciate your help. 

Oh, can I install minor updates? Like DSM 6.1.7 update 2 for example?

Were you trying to install 6.2 or 6.2.1? As for 6.1.7 you should be ok applying the minor updates.

@flyride Thanks for the confirmation. That's what I thought... hmm. Just one more question and I'll quit bugging you guys... So I have a 1512+ synology with a 4 disk SHR array. It's running DSM 6.2.1. Ideally I'd like to migrate the disks to my new Xpenology setup as per synology's instructions (https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/General/How_to_migrate_between_Synology_NAS_DSM_6_0_and_later)

However if I can only use the 1.02b loader, what will happen if I move the drives over that have a 6.2.1 installation on them? 

I don't want to lose the data on the drives and I don't have enough storage to temporarily keep the data and wipe the drives. So if I can't do migration I'd have to buy new hard drives. 

Thanks for all your help.