XPEnology Community

How is XPenology saved?

Nindustries

Hello there!

Im building my first NAS for home use, and was amazed by the interface of DSM! This NAS of mine will be running on an Intel C2750 CPU, and I read on these forums it's supported.

I read through the installation guide, and it seems that XPenology is installed from a usb stick onto drives. On what drives? All of them?

Can't wait for Xpenoloy 5! I already tried 4.1 in Virtualbox, great! Too bad updating doesnt work, but hey who am I to complain?

Greetings

EDIT: Corrected my 1000 typos

As i understand the usb stick contains a kind of bootloader/bios for the system to start.

The system and the settings seem to be present on every disk installed.

but as dsm being lightweight, no storagespace is wasted.

correct me if im wrong :geek:

As i understand the usb stick contains a kind of bootloader/bios for the system to start.

The system and the settings seem to be present on every disk installed.

but as dsm being lightweight, no storagespace is wasted.

correct me if im wrong :geek:

Correct zuz, thanks! I don't really like that tough.. :-|

Answer from the forums: "/volume1/@appstore

Forget separate spindown - either all or none of the disks will hibernate."

That cant be right, if more than one volume present on separate drives and you delete volume 1 and pull respective drives out, system still starts, cause it is on EVERY drive independent from volumeX.

each drive is broken into at least 3 physical partitions per disk.

The 1st partition of each drive makes up /dev/md0, which is where DSM gets installed. It's raid 1.

The 2nd partition of each drive makes up /dev/md1, which is swap file. It's raid 1.

The 3rd partition of each drive makes up /dev/md2, which is data; /volume1. It's raid 5.

... add additional partitions for additional data volumes, expanding arrays by using bigger disks, ect.

here's a link that explains linux software raid and LVM https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/So ... ID_and_LVM

• 5 weeks later...