XPEnology Community

Is there any getting around a Double NAT?

Gohrilla

Question

So I live in this building that offers it's ISP and Cable services In a managed way. I think the closest thing I can describe it as is and MDU (Multiple Dwelling Unit). In short, my IP is not external. I've tried to get them to supply mw with one but they're asking for a substantial fee on top of the extra money I'm paying them to max my bandwidth.

I'm no network guru, so I haven't been able to find a solution that can work under my current configuration. I know that Synology has its own connect tool but that can't be used by bare metal installs. 

Are there any options I can try?

Thanks in advance 

3 answers to this question

Ok, to me your question seems a bit "unspecific"

so I have to ask: what is you want to do, that your are not beeing able to do?

Are you looking for a way to connect to your NAS and it services from the "outside"? 

That will be hard to do, as your "external" IP is actually a "internal" IP and you have no access to manually forward ports in your ISP's router (if I get you right).

Will it be of any help if you are able to have a "Remote Desktop" way into your DSM ?

There is a TeamViewer App for Synology that might work for you.

59 minutes ago, bearcat said:

Ok, to me your question seems a bit "unspecific"

so I have to ask: what is you want to do, that your are not beeing able to do?

Are you looking for a way to connect to your NAS and it services from the "outside"? 

That will be hard to do, as your "external" IP is actually a "internal" IP and you have no access to manually forward ports in your ISP's router (if I get you right).

Will it be of any help if you are able to have a "Remote Desktop" way into your DSM ?

There is a TeamViewer App for Synology that might work for you.

Dunno why I thought I was being specific but yes, essentially I'd like to access my NAS from outside. I'll have to look into that TeamWiewer App.

Thanks!

E