XPEnology Community

Reinstall DSM, how to do?

Good evening!

I've been driving my Hp microserver for a few months now and learned a lot and tried and developed, and of course made some things wrong and thought that a reinstallation would be in place and change from box 1. Now I have 4 disks in which is relatively full of data that I would rather not want between storing on other devices when I'm going to reinstall, in the same vein, I was going to make a new bootloader that's of a newer version.

How do I do without losing everything?

This is how I have done it:

1 - Prepare a new USB bootstick. (what version do you have, and what will you be using next? )

2 - Download the .pat file you are going to use (to do a manual installation later on)

3 - Uninstall any extra packages form the Package Center

4 - Delete all users (but NOT the admin user)

5 - Power down your NAS

6 - Replace the connected USB bootstick with the new one

7 - Boot for the new USB bootstick

8 - "Find" you NAS, manually install your .pat

9 - "Migrate" your disks, if asked: delete all settings, keep data.

10 - Start messing it up again ;-D

Attention: by doing it like this, you can't make any changes to your Raid setup, Volumes or filesystems.

disclaimer:

before doing anything of the above, make sure you have validated backups of all your files, in at least 3 physical locations ;-)

'

• 2 months later...

i tried to reinstall everything but when "finding" my NAS i don''t have an option to install manually - only the option to "restore" When i do this all my settings are still there.

But i want only my data and not my settings to be restored....

What can i do?

Edited by chemistry

• 3 years later...
On 3/11/2019 at 7:06 PM, chemistry said:

Ok - thanks for the answer... i did something else in the meantime - i formated the dsm partitions on my drives with a partition program so that i could do a reinstall of DSM.

Your way might have been a little easier though 😅

can you please tell me which are the DSM partitions, beacuse I have forgot the password, and I have no SSH or Admin account activated.....

When I look the partition with Ubuntu, I can not understand which one I have to delete...

Thanks for the help....