XPEnology Community

Expanded capacity but not the volume

Gohrilla

Question

A couple of weeks ago I expanded a 3TB+8TB with another 8TB. That took several days but it successfully expanded in the end.

I tried expanding again with another drive — this time a 10TB drive. all the readings are green and all processed look fine but my pool has not grown. The capacity reads 17TB but my volume remains unchanged. Also it seems as though the new 10TB drive is read as used space rather than available space.

What can I do? more importantly is this common?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

001.jpg

002.jpg

6 answers to this question

I don't get it? will it expand eventually? why would it show the old capacity and show 10 TB of used data?

Here is the volume info:

003.jpg

Note I have a 2nd Volume with a temporary 5th 10TB drive that I used to move data around.

Edited by Gohrilla

@Gohrilla : normally, when adding a drive to a storage pool, the "wizzard" will automaticly expand the volume with the available free space.

Sometimes you may have to manually expand it.

But, when using SHR, as can see in the Raid Calculator I linked to above, there are some things, due to SHR, that will limit the available space.

Currently you should have 19TB available space, 8TB beeing used as "protection" and 2TB are "wasted" unused space, all due to SHR. 

(if we round up the numbers shown in your pic's, it all add's up, some space on each disk is used for system/swap).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bearcat said:

@Gohrilla : normally, when adding a drive to a storage pool, the "wizzard" will automaticly expand the volume with the available free space.

Sometimes you may have to manually expand it.

But, when using SHR, as can see in the Raid Calculator I linked to above, there are some things, due to SHR, that will limit the available space.

Currently you should have 19TB available space, 8TB beeing used as "protection" and 2TB are "wasted" unused space, all due to SHR. 

(if we round up the numbers shown in your pic's, it all add's up, some space on each disk is used for system/swap).

I understand what you mean, and while My 17TB approx. capacity doesn't match up to the 19TB the calculator puts out  — I'm referring to my pool remaining at 9.6TB and the system showing 10TB's of used space which is not accurate.

That said, I'm guessing this is due to the expansion not happening automatically via the wizard. How then, do I manually prompt the server to do this?

Thank you for all your assistance on this.