XPEnology Community

My build for XPEnology. Looking for advice.

Konfl1kt

Hello guys.

First of all thank you for your job. I think SDM is one of the best  NAS OS. Thanks!

I have some parts already and I want to verify my build with community.

CPU: (1) Intel i7 8700. Can with CPU work with 4k w/o graphics card? 

MB: (2)Please help me choose right one. mATX or mITX.

I have 4 gb DDR4. (3) Is it enough?

I have 2x2TB HDD and 2x4TB HDD. (4) Is XPEnology supporting 2 separate RAID1? I want to use 4 HDD in one NAS.

So, 4 questions. :)  Thank you!!!

On 12/6/2018 at 9:09 AM, Konfl1kt said:

Hello guys.

First of all thank you for your job. I think SDM is one of the best  NAS OS. Thanks!

CPU: (1) Intel i7 8700. If you have, use it.  Can with CPU work with 4k w/o graphics card? Graphics not required once you are up and running

MB: (2)Please help me choose right one. mATX or mITX. if you already have something that accepts the CPU, use it

I have 4 gb DDR4. (3) Is it enough? Depends on what you want the NAS to do. 4GB will be enough to get going

I have 2x2TB HDD and 2x4TB HDD. (4) Is XPEnology supporting 2 separate RAID1? I want to use 4 HDD in one NAS. Yep

• Like 1

On 12/6/2018 at 3:09 PM, Konfl1kt said:

Hello guys.

CPU: (1) Intel i7 8700. Can with CPU work with 4k w/o graphics card? 

MB: (2)Please help me choose right one. mATX or mITX.

I have 4 gb DDR4. (3) Is it enough?

I have 2x2TB HDD and 2x4TB HDD. (4) Is XPEnology supporting 2 separate RAID1? I want to use 4 HDD in one NAS.

1 - Will you be streaming directly over the network to a 4k client , or will you be using ie. Plex to transcode?

2 - Any size of the mb is OK, from mITX to E-ATX, it all come downs to what cabinet :-D  why would one be better than the other? 

The chipset / integrated nic and storage controllers are the things thst matter.

3 - Yes, depending on what services you are going to use on you NAS, for plain file-storage, it will be "overkill".

4 - Yes, it supports as many independent / different RAIDs as you want and have disk's for.

5 - Any .PAT supports more than 4 HDD's, the 918+ supports 16,

and might be what you should aim for when looking for a compatible mainboard, as this has the most up-to-date support, running DSM 6.2.1 upd. 2

Edited by bearcat
added 5.
  • Like 1

bearcat, I want to use plex and direct streaming. 8700 is not enough?

I read hardware guide but it's not clear about chipsets and controllers. I believe any modern 1151 motherboard are ok?

Thank you!

Edit: I see Synology 12 bay NAS DiskStation DS2415+ have 4 cores. 8700 should be ok? 

Please, explain me about direct streaming and Plex.

Edited by Konfl1kt

@Konfl1kt If you are steaming directly, using a 4k compatible client, with NO transcoding needed, I guess you can use "any" CPU.

as then you are only using your NAS as a fileshare, with Plex as a frontend (User Interface) for you client, and as long as your network

is fast enough to feed the data, your client will play it all ok. 

If you use ie. a nVidia Shield TV as a client (as I am doing) you will have a 4k HDR compatible client that will play almost anything, 

BUT, I'm using Kodi as a client most of the time, so I'm no expert on the Plex/XPE part, as  I can use my Shield as Plex server, with hw transcoding.

Now, if you on the other hand wants/need to do transcoding in Plex due to ie. mobile clients, there is other things to think of.

If I remember correct, to use the HW transcoding on Plex, you might need a PlexPass.

If you search this forum, you will notice that for hw transcoding, you might need to use the DS918+, and its not easy to get it working.

Thank you. Looks like I don't understand what is transcoding and why should I use it... :) If you can explain I will appreciate. (already do). 

Thank you. 

I got my case this morning. Only MB left. Should start this project soon. I SDM too much. I never use it before but for some reasons I think it's good. 

Ok, lets just google it and see what comes up ;-) 

Basicly, it is converting a mediastream ( ie. a video) from one format to another.

If your have a videofile with a 4k resolution and Atmos sound, and want to see it on your iPhone, 

both the video and audio must be proscessed = transcoded to be of any use on your iPhone, 

it must first be "unpacked" on you Plexserver, then converted,

and finally "packed" before your iPhone can present your video with working sound.

How fast this can be done, with 1 or more concurrent streams, will depend on the CPU and any hw support.

What case did you end up with?

• Like 1

for transcoding 8700 will work fine but my POV is from power consumption and power on hours. I run my server 24*7 and low power (given $ per kw/h that I pay) is important to me. Maybe not to you so plan accordingly. Ryzen is AMD (Duh) and has it's own requirements but I believe Juno's splendid efforts have counted for that. 

Hi

also for transcoding the 8700 is miuch to big in my opionion. The TDP of CPU is to high fo such kind auf tasks....
I would choose a "T" CPU like 8100T or 8300T from Intel. Less TDP from 25 Watt or max 35 Watt, enough power to use also 4K Transcoding und running VMs.

As Mainbord I prefered one from ASROCK. Often with Intel NIC and a very good UEFI setup.
I use the 8300T and an ASROCK H370m-itx and I am happy with this combo.

Alex

Edited by Lexizilla
  • Like 1

I don't have an 8100T, but I would guess it is between 3-6W idle.  What difference does 2-3W make for you?

As far as how to estimate total power consumption, I like to use https://pcpartpicker.com which lets you build systems out of spec parts and it will tell you your max power budget.  Idle consumption is usually a lot less.  CPU's, memory, SSD's and drives all use quite a bit less power at idle than their max spec.

On 12/21/2018 at 6:29 AM, Konfl1kt said:

I just not sure how is it work. If PC always stand by can it take 20-30W total? My PC use around 200w and around 500W during playing games.

If your PC is sustaining 200W you must be overclocking with a configuration that does not allow the processor to idle.

And +300W during games, maybe you have a dual graphics card setup, probably also overclocked?

There is no benefit to DSM from either a high performance video card or overclocking.  So the example really is not comparable.

• Like 1