XPEnology Community

DSM6.2 installation on Asrock J1900ITX

marigo

Hi all,

I have a spare J1900 PC to try a baremetal installation of Xpenology. I have followed the tutorial and I can find the diskstation in my LAN. I use the DS918+ loader  1.04b.

When I want to install DSM I get a warning that "disk 1" will be formated. When I click "ok"  the installation will  begin but end soon with the message: "unable to format the disk, error 35".

I have one Sata SSD on the first SATA3 port and is recognized in the BIOS.

I updated the grub.cfg with the VID/PID of the USB device and changed the MAC and SN of the installation.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks for your reply.

I have figured it out. My installed SSD had several (linux) partitions. When a new DSM has to be installed DSM don't likes a harddrive with partitions.

So I downloaded a live linux distribution, made a bootable USB en deleted all the "old" partitions so I had a clean disk.

The boot process with V1.04b loader works now fine and latest DSM is installed.

Edited by marigo
  • Like 1

Oh yes, thats true, it's best (or close to mandatory) to start out with no partitions.

I usually place the drives in a USB dock, and use diskpart / clean from a Windows computer when I test out some different setups.

So, now you are running baremetal DS918+ with DSM 6.2.1-23824 - Update 1

and no problems, using the internal NIC on the J1900 mainboard?

I'm asking, as I'm about to rebuild the above mentioned Asrock Q1900-ITX one of these coming days :-)

The v1.04 was made to override the problems with the PCI devices. I thought I had red that somewhere here.

Yes, I am running xpe on a J1900ITX and it's working. (so far so good)

I was used to install xpe in a KVM on Proxmox, but this is much faster than I thought it would be.

I guess you have something to do. ;)

• Like 1

Great news!

Didn't  know about this power button package; thank you.

My J1900 is running just fine for about five days.

Now I see the difference between a virtual and a barebone installation. It is running much smoother now.

With surveillance station package and 5 IP camera's it's using between 4 - 8 % of CPU power.

I am monitoring it with Grafana, telegraf and Influxdb.

xpenology_grafana_1.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 12/4/2018 at 9:24 PM, marigo said:

Great news!

Didn't  know about this power button package; thank you.

My J1900 is running just fine for about five days.

Now I see the difference between a virtual and a barebone installation. It is running much smoother now.

With surveillance station package and 5 IP camera's it's using between 4 - 8 % of CPU power.

I am monitoring it with Grafana, telegraf and Influxdb.

xpenology_grafana_1.jpg

Hey ,

How you did install 5 ip camera ?

• 6 months later...

So I'm trying to install DSM on my ASRock J1900 too after seeing this thread, but I cannot get it to work. After the UEFI v1.04b of Jun's loader is booted, I cant see the box either in Synology Assistant nor find.synology.com

@marigo & @bearcat: how did you end up with a working ASRock J1900 with DS918+ ?

Edit: Might have gotten it to work, had to remove connected TV/monitor. Will test some more in the coming week.

Edited by hellbound