XPEnology Community

tutorial: 4 camera on surveillance station (legally)

le.pipo007

Didn't work for me, import the file, left settings as is, network options is on e1000 and i did try with the mac address stated above, but when i search for dsm i see it flash momentarily in the list with a 169.254.x.x IP.

Nevermind, i guess i had to shut down the old 6.0 DSM VMM

Edited by merve04

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So im having a bit of an issue here... ive been using this file for a bit now and worked fine.. im in the process of building a new xpeno box.. i using a asus h310m-c and i5 8400, using loader 1.04 and running latest dsm 6.2.2 u3,, for whatever reason in VMM i import the file, all settings should be good, boot it up but never shows up in assistant. I tried the older one you had made loader 1.01 and it dont work either. Is it maybe a dsm 6.2.2 and or 918+ compatibility issue? i tried installing the synology virtual dsm and it works so i dont think its a cpu/bios virtualization setting.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/26/2019 at 12:06 AM, HuuuR said:

Thanks for your time and instruction.

I tried this many times on two different machines and just before the end, when I try to power on the vm I get this text "Failed to power on the virtual machine DSM62"

Any suggestion?

After trying the setup on many PCs, one just worked fine. 

I would say it's a mainboard compatible with VM mount, cause it still works even after replacing ram/hdd/lan from the other PCs and do fresh install though

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
12 hours ago, Next said:

Hi,

I made a virtual DSM and that is working.

is it possible to see the 2 camera’s on one surveillance station? And to see it in the DS CAM application?

thanks!

Ok its working. My Fault.

Possible to update to DSM 6.2.2-24922?

I did this and didn't found the DSM it wasn't getting back online.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Somebody any idea.

I can connect the CMS from the new (VM) surveillance station to the old surveillance station but not the otherway.

I can't connect CMS surveillance station from the old one to the new (VM). Its saying cannot make connection.

Thanks

Works perfectly on my ESXi. I didn't use however any OVA files but just cloned my DSM machine (with synoboot.img) and then installe DSM from scratch.

Also I mounted folder from NAS1 on NAS2 directly in Surveillance Station as Remote. No need to use /etc/fstab

What is the minimum hardware for the DSM2 I can set on ESXi? Currently I have 1 CPU and 1 GB RAM and it works fine but wondering if I can lower the ram.

5 hours ago, evolucja said:

Works perfectly on my ESXi. I didn't use however any OVA files but just cloned my DSM machine (with synoboot.img) and then installe DSM from scratch.

Also I mounted folder from NAS1 on NAS2 directly in Surveillance Station as Remote. No need to use /etc/fstab

What is the minimum hardware for the DSM2 I can set on ESXi? Currently I have 1 CPU and 1 GB RAM and it works fine but wondering if I can lower the ram.

I put 512mo it’s a little slow, but on a ssd it’s ok. 

• 2 years later...

Anyone tried to run `pocopico/tinycore-redpill/issues` in Synology Virtual Machine Manager?

I'm pretty sure  that the problem is disk configuration but I cannot find proper configuration for virtualbox.

@le.pipo007 can you share information about configuration for your image?

I've installed it but with newer version of dsm I need newer virtual image.

• 1 month later...
On 8/22/2019 at 7:50 AM, le.pipo007 said:

Hi,
I'll explain the step to create a DSM 6.2 on virtual machine manager

1/ download the xpenology vmdk (https://mega.nz/#!fdBWBJYB!P3MbGY2v_X_udUhaSgVBQZ74KNRf7vtjMCO39u1I91Y)
2/ extract only synoboot.vmdk
3/ download the 6.2 loader Jun 1.03b(https://mega.nz/#!OV4gVKyZ!dCgfXx1bgAOyvbFwFiov3s7RSNoFuqnAcNmSllLoUiw)
4/ extract only synoboot.img and copy it in the same directory to synoboot.vmdk
5/ Download and install vmware workstation 15 pro (eval version)
6/ if you want, you can change Serial and MAC on synoboot.img (use ofsmount, and modify grub.cfg) the default mac is 00:11:32:2C:A7:85, you will need it later in vmware
7/ create a new VM on vmware workstation:
  - Custom (advanced)
  - Harware compatibility workstation 15.x
  - check "i will install the operating system later"
  - Linux, other linux 3.x kernel 64-bit
  - Virtual machine name: DSM62 for example
  - CPU 1, core 1
  - RAM: 2048 MB
  - Use Network address translation (NAT)
  - LSI logic
  - SATA (default is scsi)
  - Use an existing virtual disk
  - select synoboot.vmdk
  - Finish
  - right click on the VM, click on settings,

* Add a new hard drive (10 Gb), SATA, store virtual disk as a single file, after create, click on disk, and advanced, virtual device mode: SATA 1:0

* after select Network Adapter, click on Advanced, end at botton, write the MAC address

- Start the VM, ensure that when you boot, you select "DS3615xs 6.2 Baremetal with jun's Mod v1.03b"    (IMPORTANT!!!)

- select the VM, then, click on File, Export to OVF, now, change the extension to OVA.
8/ On synology virtual machine manage
  - click on create button, selec import
  - import from OVA
  - select the OVA that you have just generated
  - select your vm repository
  - write a name, modify (if you want) cpu and RAM
  - virtual disk: 10 GB 
  - network: important, select e1000, and put the mac
  - and finish to create the vm
  - when the vm is create, you have to add a SATA drive (10GB also)
  - start the VM
  - find your DSM in synology assistant
  - Install manually the pat file https://archive.synology.com/download/DSM/release/6.2/23739/DSM_DS3615xs_23739.pat

Done, your dsm6.2 is installed, you just need to install surveillance station.

Hi le.pipo007:

Not sure you're going to help since you wrote this like 3 yrs ago but hopefully you're still on this site.

I have followed your instructions and have it all up and running. I installed surveillance Station using the Syno Package Center (downloaded from Syno) but I still see just the 2 default licenses available. So all I can do is add 2 cameras. Or was I supposed to download the Surveillance Station package from somewhere else and install it manually? If this is how you get 4 licenses, then how do I get DS Cam to show two cams from my DS920+ nas surveillance station (SS) and the other two cams from the Synology vm's SS? I can't tell DS Cam to access two different SS servers. Same from a pc. I have to connect to SS on my DS920+ and SS on the Synology VM. I think this kind of defeats the whole purpose.

Anyway, is that the idea to be able to use 4 cameras? Two from my original DS920+ nas and 2 from this Synology VM running DSM 6.2? I was hoping to be able to install more than 4 cameras though.

One issue I kept running into was this: You said in step #7 to add a new sata drive in VM Workstation 15. Then you say to add another 10 GB sata drive in step #8 on the Synology virtual machine. I think that's 3 sata hdd's total (the OS hdd is the first one) and my issue was that 2 of them were always coming up as Uninitialized in Syno Virtual Manager. Somehow I got passed that but that was a few days ago and I'm not sure I can do it again since I don't recall exactly how I got passed it.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I was able to figure out how to download the necessary files. Question now is, I'm supposed to proceed with step #3 here: Tutorial: Install/Migrate to DSM 7.x with TinyCore RedPill (TCRP) Loader - Tutorials and Guides - XPEnology Community

It says to start your NAS with the usb flash drive. Is that my real NAS or the virtual VMWare vmdk in my ESXi/vCenter7? If it's the latter, am I supposed to attach the usb to my physical machine which is currently running the ESXi virtual hosts from VMWare Workstation? If so, what do I do for tinycore to see this usb? If I insert it into my physical machine running VMWare Workstation, do I reboot it or just the virtual ESXi/Vcenter hosts?

Edited by yorkman

3 hours ago, rojoone2 said:

You are following the tutorial for bare metal installs:

You need to follow the tutorial for ESXI:

But, if you are looking to get more camera licenses, consider building a DVA1622. You will get 8 licenses with that model.

Thanks. Actually I was using the tutorial for ESXi. But after reading some more elsewhere I found that DS920+ is not supported on ESXi (due to satamap) which is what I was trying to install. I couldn't get DS918+ to work either though so I found another tutorial posted by a portuguese user and I was able to get that to work directly on VMWare Workstation 16 instead thanks to his provided vmdk. After installing & configuring CSM on my physical NAS, adding my 2 other ip cameras in the virtual NAS, all 4 cams show up automatically now.

Great tip about DVA1622. Unfortunately I don't know where I'd get the vmdk for this one. And is it still supported on DSM v7.x? According to this chart it's not listed there: https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/61634-dsm-7x-loaders-and-platforms/

Edited by yorkman
dva1622 compatibility

• 1 month later...
On 11/29/2018 at 3:54 AM, le.pipo007 said:

Cherry on the cake, on the new suveillance station, i map the same "surveillance" folder share that my old surveillance station.

for this, i enable NFS on surveillance share (old server) and on the new DSM (vm) i add entry on /etc/fstab

192.168.x.x:/volumeX/Surveillance /volumeX/surveillance nfs defaults,user,auto,noatime,intr 0 0

now, all my camera are recorder on the same folder.

@le.pipo007,

This part of your guide should be fixed because the Synology Operating System is configured in a way that /etc/fstab changes get cleared whenever you restart the NAS.  Feel free to use my instructions and images or just link to this post in your top post.

This way, makes sure that the Virtual NAS can mount your SAMBA (CIFS) share from the Baremetal NAS and use it:

Step I > In the Baremetal NAS:

1. Create a Shared folder named Surveillance (or share the surveillance folder created by Surveillance Station using SAMBA)

image.thumb.png.881cd1ce3c94b373d6e1f9965e0c99da.png

2. Make sure to allow access to the user that you will use to mount it on the Virtual NAS

image.thumb.png.7e405c0e034158e7eda6f491b1f6276f.png

Step II > In the Virtual NAS:

1. Open File Station and select the shared folder named surveillance that was created by Surveillance Station.  Click Create > Create folder (This is not a shared folder.  It is inside the originally created shared folder.)  Name it Surveillance and create it.  It will show up on the right side when you select the surveillance folder on the left.

image.thumb.png.ab4664fa88e32c3f7fbf531012188928.png

2. Open Surveillance Station.  Open the Recording application.  Click on the Storage tab.  Click the Add button.  Click the Mount Remote Storage option.

image.thumb.png.d4af379e9d6d69d44eb37289e953d74b.png

3. On the new window, choose Mount remote folder and click Next.

image.png.9255a070b6e8387005afbb0930de29c6.png

4. On the Select Folder window, find the non-shared folder we created before named Surveillance.  Highlight it and click the Select button.

image.png.5182f760eff7106a335f8b7375730e4c.png

5. On the Mount Remote Storage window, fill up the information accordingly.  Then click the Finish button.

Note that this is using CIFS (Samba) to mount the share and you can't change it.

Local folder should be what we selected on the previous step.

For the Remote folder value, you can use the server name or IP address of the Baremetal NAS like so: \\<name>\<share> or \\<ip>\<share>

User name should be an account that you authorized in Step I.

Password is the password for that account in the Baremetal NAS.

Make sure to check the box for Mount automatically upon startup.  (This solves the issue that we had with the /etc/fstab mods that kept getting lost upon reboot.)

image.png.86edb5aad8342f3abb51544a837888f9.png

6. The share is now accessible in our Virtual NAS.  If you check in File Station, it will show up as a Remote Folder.  We will now proceed to use it for recording.

image.thumb.png.3ef777d8905c7bf4aa4ffe89279b5ead.pngimage.thumb.png.cf1dbaa88b8e0f331efca32f71014bee.png

7. Import or Add your cameras into the IP Camera application.

image.thumb.png.19c5426942238dc9424d13874bfc2a7e.png

8. You can see the folders being created in the Baremetal NAS now.

image.thumb.png.d1130798f3f8b7ac1afd6b9b44e75763.png

(Note: The remaining steps must be done for all the cameras)

9. Select the camera.  Click the Edit dropdown and then click the Edit option.

image.thumb.png.d9015c64e7d05777f09770cddd7b4eb7.png

10. On the left side, select the Recording Settings option.  On the right side, select Recording and make sure to set the Recording storage location to be our mounted remote folder Surveillance inside the surveillance folder created by Surveillance Station.  In the end, it should say that your recordings are located in the /<volume name>/surveillance/Surveillance path.  Then, click the Save button.

image.thumb.png.7038384f669cc08c45e87f39bd818c9c.png

11. On the right side, select Advanced and make sure that the Disable recording and rotation option is not checked.

image.thumb.png.2323148f99675366f1fb3b57490a6f8e.png

12. Enable your camera(s).

13. That's it!  Your camera is now recording to the Baremetal NAS share and a reboot will not mess it up.

image.thumb.png.b113cb3ddea45d64b86cc62870433bb9.png

image.png

Edited by PREngineer
Unnecessary image at the end
  • Like 1