XPEnology Community

tutorial: 4 camera on surveillance station (legally)

le.pipo007

Hi,

i'll share with you my experience. on 11.11 (single day) i bought 2 new camera, i have yet 2 camera.

I'll want to add the new camera to surveillance station... only 2 free, i must pay for the 2 other.

but, i spend 2 days on it, and now i can register 4 camera, for free!!!

first i have a Hp microserver gen8 baremetal(cpu G1610T with 8Gb of ram) dsm 6.1.7-15284 update 2

1. install synology virtual machine manager
  2. import a new vm with the attached file: dsm.ova i create the ova with this tuto, but only the begining, (in fact, i install vmware workstation, import the ovf, configure the vm, start the vm to see if it's working, and export to ovf (rename to ova)). open the file with 7zip
  3. the VM have 1 cpu, 1 Go of RAM, 2 DD 10 go, select E1000 for network adapter
  4. start the vm on virtual server manager (syno)
  5. launch synology assistant
  6. find your syno VM
  7. install the DSM with this file https://archive.synology.com/download/DSM/release/6.0.2/8451/DSM_DS3615xs_8451.pat
  8. a reboot, and it OK. be careful, do not about the DSM !
  9. install surveillance station on this vm
  10. add the new camera
  11. on your first surveillance station, install CMS (from application center in surveillance station)
  12. configure CMS: add the new surveillance station server (ip, login, password)
  13. enjoy, the "old" surveillance station have now 4 cameras! and it's record!!!

Cherry on the cake, on the new suveillance station, i map the same "surveillance" folder share that my old surveillance station.

for this, i enable NFS on surveillance share (old server) and on the new DSM (vm) i add entry on /etc/fstab

192.168.x.x:/volumeX/Surveillance /volumeX/surveillance nfs defaults,user,auto,noatime,intr 0 0

now, all my camera are recorder on the same folder.

Hope that this tutorial help you.

Now, if someone have the solution to upgrade the VM to DSM 6.2, I'll take it !!

PS: i'm french, sorry my english !

file 1/4

dsm.7z.001

Edited by le.pipo007

• 2 months later...

Hello Le.Pipo007

All is ok, but for "cherry on the cake", I dont see the the shared volume.

1 - I activated NFS on DSM (old) and create a client with new IP DSM (vm) (necessary???)

2 - I added  this on fstab newDSM (vm) : [<ip of old DSM>:/volume1/Surveillance /volume1/surveillance nfs defaults,user,auto,noatime,intr 0 0]

3 - I restarted the new DSM (vm)

When I add a new cam on old DSM, I can see only the new shared folder "surveillance" that is on new DSM (vm)

What is my errors ?

Thank's 

Bruno 

P.S. Never studied english!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, sorry for the late,

this is my configuration:

on the old DSM

You just have to put the IP of the new DSM on surveillance folder

dsm1.PNG

on the new DSM, nothing on nfs on surveillance

dsm2.PNG

just connect on the new dsm with ssh

after connexion, do sudo su   and write your password

after that, vim /etc/fstab

i just add at the bottom

x.x.x.x:/volume3/Surveillance /volume1/surveillance nfs defaults,user,auto,noatime,intr 0 0

replace x.x.x.x by your IP and replace volume1, or 3 by yours.

after that, mount -a

and if you go on filestation on the new dsm, you will see the surveillance folder from the old DSM

Edited by le.pipo007

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi guys. I'm new to this site and new to xpenology.i finally managed to convert my old dell t7400 with dual quads and 12gb ram Into a working ds3617xs. I then found some cheap cameras svc3 and when I saw they worked (after a bit of messing) I went out and and bought some more thinking it would be simple but I've now connected a third( soon to be forth) and had the message wanting me to purchase a liesence .I came across your post but I find it hard to follow and really could do with baby steps.i will follow your post tomorrow but  don't wanna mess up things worse so can anyone tell me that the above ds3617xs will work with what I do in this tutorial .

On 5/3/2019 at 12:28 AM, dvdxtreme360 said:

Hi guys. I'm new to this site and new to xpenology.i finally managed to convert my old dell t7400 with dual quads and 12gb ram Into a working ds3617xs. I then found some cheap cameras svc3 and when I saw they worked (after a bit of messing) I went out and and bought some more thinking it would be simple but I've now connected a third( soon to be forth) and had the message wanting me to purchase a liesence .I came across your post but I find it hard to follow and really could do with baby steps.i will follow your post tomorrow but  don't wanna mess up things worse so can anyone tell me that the above ds3617xs will work with what I do in this tutorial .

Hi,

how can help you?

hi there.i want to thank you for your quick replies.im sorry but ive been so busy in work what with all the election forms being delivered (postman in uk) and weather has been so crap along with sinustis (sinus infection)but i have the long weekend off (friday-monday) so i will hit this project hard then and hopefully ill get it and i wont have to pester you guys but if i do i would like to thank you in advanced.

• 2 weeks later...

hi le.pipo007. i am sorry to say that i have only just had time to look into all this and i am totally stuck on the vm.i didnt know fully what i was doing.i didnt see anything about " (in fact, i install vmware workstation, import the ovf, configure the vm, start the vm to see if it's working, and export to ovf (rename to ova)open the file with 7zip". the file i downloaded was already in OVA Fileand i also didnt see the option to change the network to e1000 ? i ended up adding the ova file and just clicked next untill i couldnt anymore and then when i try to power the vm on it fails. i dont have to reinstall a different DSM do i?  thank you in advanced 

• 2 months later...

Hi,
I'll explain the step to create a DSM 6.2 on virtual machine manager

1/ download the xpenology vmdk (https://mega.nz/#!fdBWBJYB!P3MbGY2v_X_udUhaSgVBQZ74KNRf7vtjMCO39u1I91Y)
2/ extract only synoboot.vmdk
3/ download the 6.2 loader Jun 1.03b(https://mega.nz/#!OV4gVKyZ!dCgfXx1bgAOyvbFwFiov3s7RSNoFuqnAcNmSllLoUiw)
4/ extract only synoboot.img and copy it in the same directory to synoboot.vmdk
5/ Download and install vmware workstation 15 pro (eval version)
6/ if you want, you can change Serial and MAC on synoboot.img (use ofsmount, and modify grub.cfg) the default mac is 00:11:32:2C:A7:85, you will need it later in vmware
7/ create a new VM on vmware workstation:
  - Custom (advanced)
  - Harware compatibility workstation 15.x
  - check "i will install the operating system later"
  - Linux, other linux 3.x kernel 64-bit
  - Virtual machine name: DSM62 for example
  - CPU 1, core 1
  - RAM: 2048 MB
  - Use Network address translation (NAT)
  - LSI logic
  - SATA (default is scsi)
  - Use an existing virtual disk
  - select synoboot.vmdk
  - Finish
  - right click on the VM, click on settings,

* Add a new hard drive (10 Gb), SATA, store virtual disk as a single file, after create, click on disk, and advanced, virtual device mode: SATA 1:0

* after select Network Adapter, click on Advanced, end at botton, write the MAC address

- Start the VM, ensure that when you boot, you select "DS3615xs 6.2 Baremetal with jun's Mod v1.03b"    (IMPORTANT!!!)

- select the VM, then, click on File, Export to OVF, now, change the extension to OVA.
8/ On synology virtual machine manage
  - click on create button, selec import
  - import from OVA
  - select the OVA that you have just generated
  - select your vm repository
  - write a name, modify (if you want) cpu and RAM
  - virtual disk: 10 GB 
  - network: important, select e1000, and put the mac
  - and finish to create the vm
  - when the vm is create, you have to add a SATA drive (10GB also)
  - start the VM
  - find your DSM in synology assistant
  - Install manually the pat file https://archive.synology.com/download/DSM/release/6.2/23739/DSM_DS3615xs_23739.pat

Done, your dsm6.2 is installed, you just need to install surveillance station.

Edited by le.pipo007