XPEnology Community

Will I benefit from DSM update 6.1 to 6.2

mgrobins

Question

Hi,

Main Question: should I upgrade from DSM 6.1 to 6.2. 

I have read patch notes and don't see a lot that I think affects me but a lot never really gets mentioned - SMB/NFS performance changes etc. So I thought I'd ask before investing the time and risk :).

I gather I'll have to build a new USB with loader, but am unsure if I can then just update the DSM and retain settings/data or if the entire system has to be reconstructed? Is a full backup of data advised or essential?

it's been a while since I've been on the forum - about a year.... with many months in hospital and I feel a lot dumber for the drugs I've been on :/.   So go easy with the answers for my undoubtedly dumb questions to follow 😝

The MVP's here gave me huge assistance with my first build and it's been running nicely with Jun's Loader ver 1.02b (DSD3617xs) and .

I'm on Bare Metal and all working well.

I had to do some messing around to get root access and a few things..... but otherwise it was reasonably straight forward.

Usage:

media storage, backup of devices at home performed daily.

General files for access across all devices in home

Local backup of this NAS to DS1812+ using Hyperbackup (key data but not all) performed weekly

Hardware:

Jun 1.02b loader and DSM 6.1.4-23824 Update 5

Supermicro X10SDV-4C-TLN2F; 8GB 2133 ECC; LSI 9211 HBA; Corsair XFS 450W

7x 4TB HDD (Raid 6)

10GBe Link to Desktop; 1GBe Link to Backup NAS (DS1812+) using Hyperlink; 1GBe link to remaining LAN

Edited by mgrobins
addedd comment

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet