XPEnology Community

Adding new drive to a 4 disks array or upgrade 4 disks.

basilisk

Question

Hi all,

Been a proud user of xpenology for a few years now and my current setup is with N54L 4x4TB disk SHR (usable space 12TB). Now I'm coming to the point where I need more space. What would be the most reasonable upgrade between,

- adding 5th disk to the array, this option is free for me as I have a few 4TB disk laying around and I can fit up to 5 disks in box.

or

- upgrade the whole array (probably with 4x8tb disks). This will cost me around 1200USD with black Friday price.

My concern is that I think somewhere in the future, I would build a new box completely and most likely probably easier to stay on 4 disks array as I could use DS915+ loader or may be not?

What's your idea?

Thanks in advance.

2 answers to this question

1 hour ago, basilisk said:

Hi all,

Been a proud user of xpenology for a few years now and my current setup is with N54L 4x4TB disk SHR (usable space 12TB). Now I'm coming to the point where I need more space. What would be the most reasonable upgrade between,

- adding 5th disk to the array, this option is free for me as I have a few 4TB disk laying around and I can fit up to 5 disks in box.

or

- upgrade the whole array (probably with 4x8tb disks). This will cost me around 1200USD with black Friday price.

My concern is that I think somewhere in the future, I would build a new box completely and most likely probably easier to stay on 4 disks array as I could use DS915+ loader or may be not?

What's your idea?

Thanks in advance.

If you upgrade your HDD capacity it will be easier to migrate to another box down the road.

I started at 4tb on a 2-Bay and added disks as I earned money. The rebuild process was simple, but I always bought a similar capacity for an eSATA dock as a backup just in case.

I am up to 8TB and have a 4-bay now, but still use the original 4TB disks as BTRFS for VM's.

Hi,

Thanks for your answer. I was thinking the same thing. However, that's a big cost. Now I'm considering to create another disk group instead (with 1 disk) and move non important stuff to that disk instead. Hopefully, that way, I can keep the 4 disk arrays setup.