XPEnology Community

Make drives show 1-12 instead of 13-24?

MooseMan123

• 2 weeks later...

Which tutorial? There are a ton of tutorials, and all the ones I have read only touch on the subject with quite vague points. Everyone keeps telling everyone else to read "the tutorial" but there is no single, main tutorial? 

The most detailed one is this - 

It says "append SataPortMap=XX" "where XX is the number of drives" which as far as I know, is wrong, because it would mean the following:

I had 12 drives, there is no way I could enter "12" as that would then mean "Port 1 of first controller, and first 2 ports from second controller" which is not what I want at all

Then it goes on to contradict the same tutorial and says:

"SataPortMap=4 means first 4 ports of 1st controler.

SataPortMap=44 means first 4 ports of 1st controler and first 4 ports of 2nd controler.

SataPortMap=422 means first 4 ports of 1st controler, first 2 ports of 2nd controler and first 2 ports of 3rd controler."

But how do I even tell which drivers are on which controller according to DSM? And I can only use a single digit? I am using 4 SAS/SATA ports plugged into an expander. The numbers don't really make sense. I can't tell it to use the first 12 ports of the first controller as I can only go up to 9 

I just need to point out, that you post a problem, then conclude it's not fixable, and now complain when offered the tools that will fix your issue?  How about just trying it out?

The tutorial does not contradict itself, you just misapply the syntax to the first example.  You must have two controllers or this wouldn't be an issue in the first place.  So if you have no drives on the first controller, you could use SataPortMap=0 and it would make the drives on that controller disappear.  However, I don't think this is your problem, but you don't offer any information about the loader version or anything about your system.  This is probably what you are trying to do, which leverages DIskIdxMap, but maybe not...

The tutorials aren't exhaustive. The one you reference introduces the correct tools as a solution. There are many, many configuration examples here if you just search for the port mapping terms.  Also, I just put those same search terms into Google and the second hit takes me to this page, which has some excellent descriptions of how they work and interact.

Please be assured there is a relatively simple solution.  Good luck.

EDIT: I only noticed after posting you basically asked the same question before, and I offered up the same answer.  In that thread you say you are using 6.2.1 and the synoboot on the vSATA controller.  You could use DiskIdxMap to move the enumeration of your first (SATA) controller to something high like 1F and your second controller (LSI) to 00 and your problem would probably be solved.  Alternatively if you were using less than 12 drives, you could use SataPortMap=1 and the SATA controller would only use one slot for the synoboot (which is useless but you can see how your problem could be solved).

Edited by flyride

Perhaps I should have added more details, my goal is to get all 12 physical drives to show up while only editing the options on the bootloader, I do not want to have to edit the synoconfig. If the 50MB drive shows or not I don't mind too much. I also don't want to have to rely on a virtual disk with DSM installed

I have tried, I have endlessly tried seemingly every configuration

No matter what I do I get "No Hard Disks Found". I have tried endless configurations on the SataPortMap and the DiskIdxMap. Nothing makes them show up 1-12 and therefore get detected by the bootloader on first boot with zero modification of synoboot. With Just "1" entered I get all the drives as long as I expand the number of drives in Synoboot

With all the numbers I have tried, I either get no webui, or no disks found. Not a single entry has made even a single disk be found by the initial bootloader. I even switched over to the other port on the HBA just in case that would help, but It didn't

I am using 1.03b and I have tried both the 15 and 17 loader with no luck. Currently I have 1 vSATA (0:0) with the 50mb VMDK, and then just the LSI 9207-8i passed through