XPEnology Community

Idea: Auto mount encrypted share if NAS is at a certain location

jasonhill1

Question

Idea:

Auto mount encrypted share if NAS is at a certain location for example it could be verified by public ip or ddns.

I thought of this as I would like my system more secure if stolen but i often have my spare system off which turns on at certain times for HyperBackup but the share is encrypted and I have to mount the share each time.

Edited by jasonhill1

4 answers to this question

On 11/17/2018 at 9:45 AM, jasonhill1 said:

Idea:

Auto mount encrypted share if NAS is at a certain location for example it could be verified by public ip or ddns.

I thought of this as I would like my system more secure if stolen but i often have my spare system off which turns on at certain times for HyperBackup but the share is encrypted and I have to mount the share each time.

I think somebody already did something similar with php scripts on the Synology forums over here.

Maybe it could be modified and used to benefit your particular problem?

Yes thank you, I also thought of a simpler way to sort out, my idea now is to save the encryption keys to a usb, have that usb and the boot load usb plugged into a usb hub onto a usb extension cable hidden away from the computer it self.

My reason behind this was if some was to steal the computer they would only take the computer it self, and not take the time tracing where all the cables go.

(which with a lot of cables would take quite some time and would have to know what they are looking for)