XPEnology Community

Reinstall XPEnology on Netgear RNDU2000

lovesky

Question

Hello,

I recently bought a NAS netgear readynas (RNDU2000).
The seller used it with XPEnology on it but removed it before selling the NAS.

I wanted to reinstall the original Netgear OS but apparently it is not feasible anymore.
So I would like to reinstall XPEnolgy but I can not find a simple tutorial that could guide me step by step

There's someone in the community that could give me an URL or would be kind enough to describe me step by step what I need to do.

In advance, thank you for all your help

10 answers to this question

5 hours ago, bearcat said:

Maybe this can help you on the way ? 

It will be pointing you back here.

If you want to restore it to the original Netgear firmware, there is an USB Recovery available.

Hello Bearcat, 

I've tried to restore with original Netgear firmware but it doesn't work.

For XPEnology, I've boot with USB key in front of the NAS.
My computer has detected the NAS with Synologi Assistant over the network.
He asked to do an installation, I did OK
Then he asked to restart the NAS but nothing.
I tried again to connect with the USB key but without success.

However, the link you give me, explains how Install XPEnology on a standard computer and not on a NAS

6 hours ago, Dfds said:

From a quick google search it looks like the previous owner flashed the internal rom. I'd have a look at the tutorials then try booting DSM 6.1 using jun's 1.02b loader & the DS3615xs pat file as this probably has the best chance of working. If it doesn't you could try DSM 5.2

Hello Dfds,

Thanks for your reply but I don't know how to do that ... Do you have a tutorial to give me ? 

Thanks

@lovesky 

1 - So you have tried the recovery procedure Netgear posted with no luck?

2 -  What version of DSM has been running on it before, and what version are you trying to install?

3 - Did you follow my link  and read how to install DSM on your Netgear? (as you may see, this was posted 2014, so it means OLD version of DSM)

4 – Final touch
(Experts – WARNING you will loose ReadyNAS OS forever)

Up to here you need to leave the USB key always in to boot your NAS.
But you can flash internal flash rom in order to write XPenology boot on.
Proceed as followed :
– Connect to SSH in your NAS as root
– Copy the XPenology image file on your NAS drive “synobot-xxx.img”
– Unmount USB volumes on ReadyNAS so that you can rewrite internal USB
Rewrite internal USB boot device :

dd if=/dev/synobot-xxx.img of=/dev/sdu

– Remove USB key.
– Reboot and see your ReadyNAS Ultra starting like a real Syno

Edited by bearcat

@Bearcat
1- Yes I've tried but without success
2- Unfortunately I don't kow wich version was installed before
3- Yes I did of course.
But, I don't understand if I must restart the NAS with or not the USB key.
And for connect SSH , how I do that 'cause my network doesn't see the NAS.
What I do not understand is why I managed to boot the USB key once and the Synology Assistant detected the NAS.
That I've followed installation procedure of the disks and that afterwards I had to restart the NAS and nothing more happend
Even starting the procedure again does not work anymore.

@lovesky In regards to #3 you said "However, the link you give me, explains how Install XPEnology on a standard computer and not on a NAS"

thats why I asked, since the link referred to installing DSM (4.1?) on a Netgear Readynas Ultra :-)

Now, what version of bootloader did you use on your stick ? 

It seems like the Ultra 2 is using an Intel Atom D425, that is an x86, 32bit CPU, that limits your choice of compatible versions. (read= legcay loaders)

If you try making a USB boot stick, using the info and links here or here it might work.

And yes, untill you are able to connect to your box, using ssh/telnet, and write to your internal usb-boot

the USB stick has to be used/mounted for you to be able to boot.

In regards to #1

Did you try with more than 1 type of USB stick? I see they claim it to be very "picky" in regards to the stick beeing used.

There seems to be an unofficial update, you might want to do some "digging" to see if that might help you out.

In regards to #2

Have you tried contacting the previous owner?

@lovesky If you dont have the disks in the NAS, how would you be able to use them? ;-)

When / if you are able to find the NAS on your network, DSM (or Netgears RAIDiator) will be installed on them, and they will need to stay there.

But you are able to test the boot device without the disks.

What happens if you remove disks and USB stick from the NAS, connect it to your network and power on?

Are you able to check your DHCP server to see if it actually boots form the internal bootdevice and get an IP adress?

If the previous owner only wiped/removed the disks and left the old bootloader intact, it might be found with the Synology Assistent.

The same should be if the original bootloader is still "alive".

Not sure how that box is "wired", if the LED's need running compatible software, or if its "hardwired", trying to find some tech. info :-)

From a quick google search it looks like the previous owner flashed the internal rom. I'd have a look at the tutorials then try booting DSM 6.1 using jun's 1.02b loader & the DS3615xs pat file as this probably has the best chance of working. If it doesn't you could try DSM 5.2