XPEnology Community

Asrock J3455-ITx question, I think I screwed up.

rickym

I thought I had read everything before I built my second nas. After failing to connect to the Asrock J3455-ITx and reading further looks like a just bought the wrong version of the J3455 motherboard. Is there any work around or do I just need to return the board. Thanks

16 hours ago, rickym said:

I thought I had read everything before I built my second nas. After failing to connect to the Asrock J3455-ITx and reading further looks like a just bought the wrong version of the J3455 motherboard. Is there any work around or do I just need to return the board. Thanks

I have same board. I can login to it no problem. Had first 916+ running updated 916+ to latest DSM (6.2.1) and rebooted with latest 1.04b bootloader for 918+. Nas came up after a while and had to be migrated from 916+ to 918+ all working.

I just can't connect to install os. It's a brand new board. I have installed xpenology on other motherboards so I have some idea what I am doing. What I noticed is one of the leds on the rj45 network connector is red. It should be yellow or green so I wonder if I have a bad nic on the board. About ready to return the motherboard unless there are other suggestions. Really wanted to use this one due to the low power usage. I am guessing my onboard network isn't compatible. I have 6 drives so I can't use an addon card for network as the one slot is already filled with a sata card.

Edited by rickym

the board will work but you wont get hardware transcoding, the network performance will be a little sluggish and you may not be able to shut it down or reboot it without pressing the power/restart button.

you're best of using the latest 3615 boot loader with 6.2 (not 6.2.1) because you're not gaining anything by using the 918+ loader except the ability to run 6.2.1 (which gives nothing new)

Edited by ideasman69
  • Like 1

Do you have a spare PCI-E add-in NIC you could use as a test?

Mine works fine, by the way.. I've filtered out the onboard, Realtek, NIC in this DMESG output..

root@DS918ss:/dev# dmesg | grep -i r8168
[  197.295769] r8168 Gigabit Ethernet driver 8.045.08-NAPI loaded
[  197.318491] r8168: This product is covered by one or more of the following patents: US6,570,884, US6,115,776, and US6,327,625.
[  197.318502] r8168  Copyright (C) 2017  Realtek NIC software team <nicfae@realtek.com>
[  197.712224] Modules linked in: i915(E+) drm_kms_helper(E) syscopyarea(E) sysfillrect(E) sysimgblt(E) fb_sys_fops(E) cfbfillrect(E) cfbcopyarea(E) cfbimgblt(E) drm(E) fb(E) fbdev intel_agp(E) intel_gtt(E) agpgart(E) video backlight button synoacl_vfs(PO) hfsplus md4 hmac r8168(OE) ixgbe(E) igb(E) i2c_algo_bit e1000e(E) vxlan ip6_udp_tunnel udp_tunnel fuse vfat fat crc32c_intel aesni_intel glue_helper lrw gf128mul ablk_helper arc4 cryptd ecryptfs sha256_generic ecb aes_x86_64 authenc des_generic ansi_cprng cts md5 cbc cpufreq_powersave cpufreq_performance acpi_cpufreq processor cpufreq_stats dm_snapshot dm_bufio crc_itu_t crc_ccitt quota_v2 quota_tree psnap p8022 llc sit tunnel4 ip_tunnel ipv6 zram sg etxhci_hcd rtc_cmos(E) mdio(E) mpt3sas(E) raid_class(E) scsi_transport_sas(E) megaraid_sas(E) megaraid(E)
[  197.735454] Modules linked in: i915(E+) drm_kms_helper(E) syscopyarea(E) sysfillrect(E) sysimgblt(E) fb_sys_fops(E) cfbfillrect(E) cfbcopyarea(E) cfbimgblt(E) drm(E) fb(E) fbdev intel_agp(E) intel_gtt(E) agpgart(E) video backlight button synoacl_vfs(PO) hfsplus md4 hmac r8168(OE) ixgbe(E) igb(E) i2c_algo_bit e1000e(E) vxlan ip6_udp_tunnel udp_tunnel fuse vfat fat crc32c_intel aesni_intel glue_helper lrw gf128mul ablk_helper arc4 cryptd ecryptfs sha256_generic ecb aes_x86_64 authenc des_generic ansi_cprng cts md5 cbc cpufreq_powersave cpufreq_performance acpi_cpufreq processor cpufreq_stats dm_snapshot dm_bufio crc_itu_t crc_ccitt quota_v2 quota_tree psnap p8022 llc sit tunnel4 ip_tunnel ipv6 zram sg etxhci_hcd rtc_cmos(E) mdio(E) mpt3sas(E) raid_class(E) scsi_transport_sas(E) megaraid_sas(E) megaraid(E)
[  198.356729] r8168 0000:01:00.0 eth0: renamed from eth1
[  201.991200] r8168: eth0: link up

On 11/10/2018 at 3:17 PM, rickym said:

What I noticed is one of the leds on the rj45 network connector is red. It should be yellow or green so I wonder if I have a bad nic on the board. ..

I'm sure you have tried a different cable?

Have you tried loading anything else, like a live linux distro, or even Windows, to make sure the nic is working?

If you look at this thread. it seems like your board should be compatible.

Yes not the cable. I have tried so many different things. 918 3615 17 etc and different versions. I just cant get it to work. Had no problems with some of my other boards but really wanted to use this due to low power usage. Sending it back to New Egg. By the way works fine on linux and windows. Spent so many hours working with it to no avail. I have been defeated. :( Any suggestions on an embedded motherboard what will definitely work other than the one I tried greatly appreciated. Also updated bios to latest just hoping that could be the problem but no difference.

3 hours ago, rickym said:

Yes not the cable. I have tried so many different things. 918 3615 17 etc and different versions. I just cant get it to work. Had no problems with some of my other boards but really wanted to use this due to low power usage. Sending it back to New Egg. By the way works fine on linux and windows. Spent so many hours working with it to no avail. I have been defeated. :( Any suggestions on an embedded motherboard what will definitely work other than the one I tried greatly appreciated. Also updated bios to latest just hoping that could be the problem but no difference.

No joke.. The board works fine for me..
I had it running with DS3617 and then did an 'upgrade' to DS918+ both were on DS 6.2.1.

Have you sent it back yet? Could be BIOS settings?

I have packed it up 3 times and just opened the box again to try one more time. As I mentioned I have installed xpenology on several different boards so I know the procedure but just can't seem to get it installed on this one and this is the board I really wanted to use

ok - here's another few things to try.

in the BIOS under boot settings, enable CSM - then save and exit the bios

go back into the BIOS and check your boot order. you'll probably have your USB stick appear twice - something like:

UEFI - Sandisk Partition 1

UEFI - Sandisk Partition 2

But you should also now see something like USB Sandisk in the boot order. Put that at the top and see how you go.

I've noticed issues with these boards not always booting the kernel in UEFI mode. 

- Under CPU settings, disable C States

ideally - it'd be nice to use a serial cable to monitor where it's getting stuck in the boot process

Edited by ideasman69

I have no idea why as I had no luck with 3615. I have tried about everything and coudn't get 918 installed but was able to get 816. I think I am still going to send the board back to New Egg. My other installs have been simple  without these problems and am afraid as soon as I want to update I will be stuck again and have to start from scratch.

Ahhh.. Pretty sure you shouldn't use the MAC address of the board.
I thought you needed to use something as per a mac and serial number generator - as Synology use a particular range of MAC Addresses.

Use loader 1.03b

My grub.cfg for the DS3617xs on this board 'had'...

set sn=1690ODN068xxx
set mac1=001132552xxx

Finish off the serial number and MAC yourself - replacing the serial XXX with a number and the mac1 XXX with a hex-number..

Check your VID and PID again of your USB drive and then change them to suit..

change 'SataportMap' to equal 4 (in grub.cfg)..

BIOS

There are definitely some things you need to change in the BIOS and - as mentioned - you MUST boot to Legacy USB (NOT UEFI)....

You also need to enable CSM and set the USB to legacy. Dont change Video to legacy or you'll probably get a black screen and need to use your CMOS reset jumper!

Also Disable C-States.

I havent tried DS3615 on this board..

NIC

Also, try another NIC, if you have one.. if you dont, you can pick up a single port card for about £10 (ex-corporate) on Ebay..

Dual port NICs come in about £25

Make sure you buy intel nics ..

Definitely try using another network cable and another port on your switch..

Rather than using the Find synology utility, use a network scanner and look for the MAC address you set above.. Then you'll know for sure..

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Hostilian said:

Ahhh.. Pretty sure you shouldn't use the MAC address of the board.
I thought you needed to use something as per a mac and serial number generator - as Synology use a particular range of MAC Addresses.

nah the actual MAC works fine. There seems to be some unwritten rule that the serial and MAC needs to match but it doesn't. Even with activating the hardware transcoding - as long as the serial is legit, it'll work regardless of the MAC address used.

On this same board and the 3615 loader, I couldn't get the LAN to work unless i used the actual MAC address. The 918+ loader worked with whatever i put in there.

as i mentioned before - the serial cable is a must for troubleshooting these loaders. you'll see whats happening and hopefully figure out whats going on. without it - we're all guessing.

Edited by ideasman69
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hostilian said:

They don't need to match a real box but Synology's registered Mac address range is on 001132...

I've only ever used addresses on this range..

Interesting! Since the first tutorials on this site, they've always used your mac address which I've always interpreted literally (possibly incorrectly?): 

On 9/12/2017 at 8:59 PM, Polanskiman said:

:!: You want to modify the following: :!:

Change vid=0x090C to vid=0x[your usb drive vid]

Change pid=0x1000 to pid=0x[your usb drive pid]

Change sn=C7LWN09761 to sn=generate your sn here with DS3615xs or DS 3617xs or DS916+ model (this will depend on which loader you chose)

Change mac1=0011322CA785 to mac1=[your NIC MAC address #1]. You can also add set mac2=[your NIC MAC address #2] and so on until mac4 if you have multiple NICs. However, this is not necessary.

For all the xpeonology boxes i've configured (2 at home, brother, brother-in-law, parents, family friends, etc) - I've always use the actual MAC address. Never worked out why you'd want to change it?

I think I am going to settle for 916. It is the only that seems to work fine. I have updated it to the last pat that's supposed to be able to use and all went ok. 6.1.7 15284. I can't figure out why nothing else worked but oh well. It's up and running. Able to shutdown and also reboot.

8 hours ago, ideasman69 said:

Interesting! Since the first tutorials on this site, they've always used your mac address which I've always interpreted literally (possibly incorrectly?):

Maybe.. It's whichever MAC address you're going to use, so it's your MAC address..

Another way to interpret it; I have MAC Addresses on all of my network enabled products, but I don't add in 100 MAC addresses to my grub.cfg!   :D;)

I think the first time I tried Xpenology, I tried using my motherboard's MAC address (it makes sense, right?) - but couldn't get it working (I was still learning).

So I switched to a MAC on 001132 range and they've all been fine since then (with a few exceptions, such as surveillance station). I also try to get something near a serial number for the model I am trying to install..

• Like 1