XPEnology Community

8th gen i5 + Asrock H370M-ITX/ac works w/ DSM 6.2.1.23824

Joe Bethersonton

I just wanted to add a brief comment about my build, to let others know that this combination of hardware works.

CPU: i5-8400

MB: Asrock H370M-ITX/ac

Memory: 8 GB G.Skill Aegis 2666 mhz

Disk: 2x 6TB Ironwolf + 2x 2TB Samsung/WD.

USB drive: Kingston SE9 8GB

Loader: Jun's 1.03b DS3617xs with DSM 6.2.1.23824 update 1.

It's running bare metal.

Everything in the BIOS is default, except that I changed the boot order to legacy USB (not UEFI).

In the DSM, I only have one NIC available, but I haven't tried getting the other one working.

I have tried using all 6 SATA slots, and they all work.

No issues at all. I have tried migrating from another NAS as well, and that worked.

Let me know, if you have any questions.

Edited by Joe Bethersonton
  • Like 2

Great to hear :)

I´m building a similar system:

Intel Core i3 8300T ( 4 Core is enough for me and also only 25W TDP

ASROCH H370M-ITX ( will remove WiFi modul )

16GB DDR4 2400RAM

Dell Perc H310 Controller in IT Mode ( hope this will running fine with Loader 1.04b, driver pack, DSM918+ )

2 x SSD

In the End with 8x10TB, starts with 5x10TB Raid 5
Tomorrow i will run the first tests :)

• Thanks 1

It is also a bit more than I was hoping for, perhaps I can tweak the power consumption a bit by undervolting the cpu.

I will also start using the "Power Schedule" feature, or try and get WOL working.

On the positive side, the new system has so much more CPU, that I can consolidate my "servers". I have two Raspberry Pi's running 24/7, those services can now be run in Docker. I also pay for a VPS hosted in the cloud, which I no longer need.

Edited by Joe Bethersonton

16 minutes ago, Joe Bethersonton said:

It is also a bit more than I was hoping for, perhaps I can tweak the power consumption a bit by undervolting the cpu.

I will also start using the "Power Schedule" feature, or try and get WOL working.

On the positive side, the new system has so much more CPU, that I can consolidate my "servers". I have two Raspberry Pi's running 24/7, those services can now be run in Docker. I also pay for a VPS hosted in the cloud, which I no longer need.

I just googled a bit and found a link there they say 22w with i7 cpu. Wonder where other 15w come from for you.

https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/h370-b360-budget-coffee-lake-motherboard-roundup,review-34282-6.html

further googling gives different results.... 37W https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8587/asrock-h370m-itx-ac-intel-h370-motherboard-review/index9.html
https://www.kitguru.net/components/motherboard/ryan-martin/asrock-h370m-itx-ac-motherboard-review/11/

probably it is ok for that board to drain 37W idle.

Sorry for further bothering ) I had a look at both link and their boards has been set with GTX 1050 or 1080 cards, both consume 8w at idle in one of the links they additionally had 10Gb card, which is probably also 2-3W, so , it is back to less than 30W if nothing is additionally added to the card.

1 hour ago, deman-13 said:

I just googled a bit and found a link there they say 22w with i7 cpu. Wonder where other 15w come from for you.

https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/h370-b360-budget-coffee-lake-motherboard-roundup,review-34282-6.html

If I read this correctly, then they use an i3-8350K?

I guess some of the higher comsumption in my system could be from a PSU that is inefficient?

40 minutes ago, ed_co said:

Hey Joe,

Why not to use the 918+ version in order to get the hardware transconding with the 1.04b loader? The problem with 3617xs is not having that...

Cheers

Someone mentioned in another thread of mine, that it could be a pain to get hw transcoding working, and that the CPU had enough resources to do the transcoding anyway.

I haven't been able to figure out what other differences there where between the 918+ and the 3617xs - or are there no differences?

The difference, is that the 918+ CPU, is the first CPU in synology NAS that incorporate special support for hardware decoding in 4K, while the others doesn't.

By the way, does it work both network connectors of your motherboard?

Edited by ed_co

@ed_co

I have just tried installing 918+, and with a SN and mac adress from a real Synology, I am able to do offline transcoding in DS Video.

When I do play something that hasn't been transcoded (offline) on my iphone or in a browser, then the CPU usage goes up by 20%, so I am not sure that HW transcoding actually works properly.

21 hours ago, Joe Bethersonton said:

Someone mentioned in another thread of mine, that it could be a pain to get hw transcoding working, and that the CPU had enough resources to do the transcoding anyway.

I haven't been able to figure out what other differences there where between the 918+ and the 3617xs - or are there no differences?

It's hard to say, when this will work flawlessly.

Try Emby instead. It's free of charge, if you're comfortable with the "Standards" and don't need the extras. It's working fine on my N54L (Baremetal).

Start reading here.Take your time to read all.

If you need help for installation, I'm sure they will help you out, but also report here please. Maybe some other members will stucked at the same point just like you.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2018 at 1:48 PM, Joe Bethersonton said:

@ed_co

I have just tried installing 918+, and with a SN and mac adress from a real Synology, I am able to do offline transcoding in DS Video.

When I do play something that hasn't been transcoded (offline) on my iphone or in a browser, then the CPU usage goes up by 20%, so I am not sure that HW transcoding actually works properly.

@Joe BethersontonI don't know how to test the hardware transcoding sorry, I am still like you trying to make it work... Didn't have too much time lately.

Did you make both NICs works? It is important for me to have both NICs working (in order to make a Link aggregation and have double cable bandwidth with the NAS, which could be really good for example for 4K content).

Edited by ed_co

@ed_co I would say that will depend on the files you are streaming, and the bitrate of the files.

But yes, it won't hurt you, but then you will need support for link aggregation in the complete "chain" of devices, from the NAS to the client.

When using a NFS share on my NAS, and a nVidia Shield TV as a client, I have no problem streaming 4K media on a 1GB/s link.

As seen here resolution alone do not dictate the needed bandwith.

That is even more "visable" if you compare to online streaming and the needed bandwith.

• Like 1

So link aggregation will not help with bandwidth for streaming?? Not even for copying/moving files?? I was wrong then...

I thought it would double the bandwidth...

If I remember well, it helped me with my DS1512+ when I did that, for copying files at least... Now I don't know what to think...

Edited by ed_co