XPEnology Community

8th gen i5 + Asrock H370M-ITX/ac works w/ DSM 6.2.1.23824

Joe Bethersonton

The bonding strategies available to DSM (i.e. LACP) use some combination of source/target IP and MAC addresses to choose which of the NICs to use.  It doesn't connect them together simultaneously for twice the bandwidth.  For many clients connecting to a bonded NIC destination, there is an equal chance to select one or the other.  Therefore the traffic theoretically gets distributed across both NICs and (again, theoretically) twice the traffic is possible.

For a single PC connected to single NAS, you probably won't ever see an increase in speed.

Always worth benchmarking your changes, and make sure you don't get fooled by cached performance.

• Like 1

On 11/25/2018 at 12:19 AM, Joe Bethersonton said:

I never got both NICs working. :-(  I am not entirely sure how to do, but I tried adding a second MAC to the cfg file, but that wasn't enough.

As I don't really need the feature, I haven't tried more than that.

Try with the 1.03a2 DS918+ (don't know where to download though), someone with the same NICs of our motherboard (but with other motherboard H270M-ITX/ac -the previous generation model-) says here that it works. So it should work for us too!! (I am not at home, and I will not be able to try in some days...).

Edited by ed_co

Hi

I got my H370m-itx Board with a Core i3 8300T and 16GB up and running fine with Loader 1.04b and DS918+.

I.m also not able to get the second NIC up und running.

I tried all 4 driver extension packs, but evertime the same. One NIC is working, the otherone not :(

I add the second MAC and the nic count to 2 in the grub config file. Nothing will help....

Alex

• Like 1

If you want to accelerate copying/moving files via SMB,

You can try SMB multi channel, by editing smb.conf manually.

I don't have experience, but some Synology users got doubled or 4 times transfer speed, gathering 2,4 links with this.

SMB multi channel working in 6.1 release - Synology Forum

https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?t=128482

SMB 3 Multichannel support on DSM 6.2? : synology

SMB Multichannel: How It Works & Troubleshooting Guide | Level One Techs

https://level1techs.com/video/smb-multichannel-how-it-works-troubleshooting-guide

Let us know the result, if you try this  : -)

Edited by benok

On 12/4/2018 at 5:42 PM, Lexizilla said:

Hi

I got my H370m-itx Board with a Core i3 8300T and 16GB up and running fine with Loader 1.04b and DS918+.

I.m also not able to get the second NIC up und running.

I tried all 4 driver extension packs, but evertime the same. One NIC is working, the otherone not :(

I add the second MAC and the nic count to 2 in the grub config file. Nothing will help....

Alex

It is impossible to get it work, because the driver extensions are not for 1.04b... I don't know why did you use the extensions for other loader... just try with 1.03a2, and see if it works, but not with 1.04b. I said that in my previous post in the same thread... just READ.

Hello,

I was not able to boot a fresh install on my computer 😕

I have a asus H310i plus motherboard

Can you tell me what modifications you have done in BIOS ?

I succeed to boot and install PAT file, but when the syno reboots, he disapears from the network 😕

I think I forget something on the BIOS 😕 

I have put Legacy USB, fast boot OFF, CSM enable with legacy OPROM only, secure boot is disable, XHCI hand oof Enable

Thank you very much

On 11/9/2018 at 5:11 PM, Joe Bethersonton said:

I just wanted to add a brief comment about my build, to let others know that this combination of hardware works.

CPU: i5-8400

MB: Asrock H370M-ITX/ac

Memory: 8 GB G.Skill Aegis 2666 mhz

Disk: 2x 6TB Ironwolf + 2x 2TB Samsung/WD.

USB drive: Kingston SE9 8GB

Loader: Jun's 1.03b DS3617xs with DSM 6.2.1.23824 update 1.

It's running bare metal.

Everything in the BIOS is default, except that I changed the boot order to legacy USB (not UEFI).

In the DSM, I only have one NIC available, but I haven't tried getting the other one working.

I have tried using all 6 SATA slots, and they all work.

No issues at all. I have tried migrating from another NAS as well, and that worked.

Let me know, if you have any questions.

Hey,

I’ve a question regarding to your config. I use a MoBo Z390M with a Intel NIC I219V ( is the same like on your mobo ). But I can’t find my NIC over find.synology.com. I’ve used for the installation a USB 3.0 on a USB 3.0 port. But I am not sure if this is the main problem. Have you use a the custom ram disk for the installation? 

Best regards

3 hours ago, sakko said:

Hey,

I’ve a question regarding to your config. I use a MoBo Z390M with a Intel NIC I219V ( is the same like on your mobo ). But I can’t find my NIC over find.synology.com. I’ve used for the installation a USB 3.0 on a USB 3.0 port. But I am not sure if this is the main problem. Have you use a the custom ram disk for the installation? 

Best regards

I am using a USB2.0 stick, which is plugged in to a USB3.0 port.
I haven't done anything special, except changing the S/N, VID/PID in the cfg.

I had problems with one of my USB sticks, so you could try another USB stick, and see if that helps..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 5/3/2019 at 2:03 PM, killerame said:

Thx man, it is working fine with both eth interface.

I am running DSM 6.2.1 at the moment without any pb !

Hi there! I believe I am building a new NAS with the same configurations.... Could you tell me the motherboard, loader and DSM you are using at the end?

Hey All,

Just returned this board. Great Board but it has the I 219V nic please get a linux bootable and confirm the VID and PID of your nic. If it is not on this list it will not work. Newer device ID's of this nic stop it from being recognized (cause it does not match the driver id for it) if you use the search bar in the forums it has been covered in detail. If you do not know how to get the VID and PID of your nic you are going to take a flash drive google how to make a linux bootable whether it be mint or ubuntu. Take all your drives out boot into the linux bootable, open terminal run sudo -i to get elevated priveleges. Then run lspci -k confirm the VID and PID of your nic and find it on the excel sheet for the dsm version you are using using the link below , if you confirm it matches on the spreadsheet, remake your loader/settings and test with 1 junk hdd installed (avoid using your active setup unless its a new setup). Test with junk setup until you see nic if you cannot see nic or connect to find.synology.com your nic is more than likely unsupported. Next steps is getting a supported nic from the confirmed list and you should be good.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2019 at 12:40 PM, Wreid23 said:

Hey All,

Just returned this board. Great Board but it has the I 219V nic please get a linux bootable and confirm the VID and PID of your nic. If it is not on this list it will not work. Newer device ID's of this nic stop it from being recognized (cause it does not match the driver id for it) if you use the search bar in the forums it has been covered in detail. If you do not know how to get the VID and PID of your nic you are going to take a flash drive google how to make a linux bootable whether it be mint or ubuntu. Take all your drives out boot into the linux bootable, open terminal run sudo -i to get elevated priveleges. Then run lspci -k confirm the VID and PID of your nic and find it on the excel sheet for the dsm version you are using using the link below , if you confirm it matches on the spreadsheet, remake your loader/settings and test with 1 junk hdd installed (avoid using your active setup unless its a new setup). Test with junk setup until you see nic if you cannot see nic or connect to find.synology.com your nic is more than likely unsupported. Next steps is getting a supported nic from the confirmed list and you should be good.

If one of the NICs wasn't support was there no option to use the other (intel I219-V/Intel I210-AT)? Confused so we can also try a MB by trial and error even if other people have the exact same MB working...

4 hours ago, southernsun said:

If one of the NICs wasn't support was there no option to use the other (intel I219-V/Intel I210-AT)? Confused so we can also try a MB by trial and error even if other people have the exact same MB working...

only 1 of the nics will work cause of driver compatibility

• 2 weeks later...

hi, need help in getting the 3617 reconized using Jun's 1.03b DS3617xs. I'm unable to find (in synology assitant) using Jun's 1.03b DS3617xs on Asrock H370M-ITX/ac. I have success in using Jun's v1.04b 918+ recognized on synology assistant. Appreciate your input and help. Thanks.

• 9 months later...
On 11/9/2018 at 9:11 AM, Joe Bethersonton said:

I just wanted to add a brief comment about my build, to let others know that this combination of hardware works.

CPU: i5-8400

MB: Asrock H370M-ITX/ac

Memory: 8 GB G.Skill Aegis 2666 mhz

Disk: 2x 6TB Ironwolf + 2x 2TB Samsung/WD.

USB drive: Kingston SE9 8GB

Loader: Jun's 1.03b DS3617xs with DSM 6.2.1.23824 update 1.

It's running bare metal.

Everything in the BIOS is default, except that I changed the boot order to legacy USB (not UEFI).

In the DSM, I only have one NIC available, but I haven't tried getting the other one working.

I have tried using all 6 SATA slots, and they all work.

No issues at all. I have tried migrating from another NAS as well, and that worked.

Let me know, if you have any questions.

was wondering if you ever got the second nic to work also?

• 1 month later...
On 4/20/2020 at 7:49 AM, alirz1 said:

was wondering if you ever got the second nic to work also?

3 hours ago, Joe Bethersonton said:

No, but I haven't really tried to be honest. It is not a feature I need.

both are intel and should work with newer drivers as in my extra.lzma

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/28321-driver-extension-jun-103b104b-for-dsm623-for-918-3615xs-3617xs/