XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install/DSM 6.2 on ESXi [HP Microserver Gen8] with RDM

jadehawk

Video tutorial on how to get XPEnology to run on an HP Microserver Gen8 via ESXi 6.7, and install DSM 6.2 on SSD drive on ODD port, and pass drivebays to VM with RDM (Raw Data Mapping)

MANY Thanx go to the great tutorial already posted here by @luchuma [ Tutorial: Install/DSM 6.2 on ESXi 6.7 ]

I just always prefer to watch a video ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

27 minutes ago, haydibe said:

Great Video! Very detailed and beginner friendly.

Almost perfect :)

Though, there is one tiny detail: if you would've  set the vnic to intel 1000e, you would have prepared the vm to be compatible with DSM6.2.1.

Really!.. This I was not aware.. Will give it a sometime next week (On my day off). Thank you!..

I am on DS3615xs.

I have no experience whetere the Intel 1000e drivers are available in DSM6.2.1 for DS3617. They are in DSM6.2.1 for DS3615.

Your might want to spin up a new vm and find out if the drivers are available. Don't forget to change the mac addresses and serial numbers in your grub.cfg though :)

Just now, haydibe said:

I am on DS3615xs.

I have no experience whetere the Intel 1000e drivers are available in DSM6.2.1 for DS3617. They are in DSM6.2.1 for DS3615.

Your might want to spin up a new vm and find out if the drivers are available. Don't forget to change the mac addresses and serial numbers in your grub.cfg though :)

Will DO.. I'll update here if it worked with DS3617.. Thank you again.. Time to pack up and head home.. Long night...

To those interested.. 

• DSM 6.2.1-23824 Update 1 = Did NOT work on ESXi Using DS3617xs (Changing Network vnic to E1000e did not help)
  • DSM 6.2.1-23824 Update 1 = Works 100% on ESXi  Using DS3615xs (Changing Network vnic to E1000e).
  • Migrating the already setup Volume from DS3617xs to DS3615xs was as simple as reassigning the vmdk disks 1-3 to the new VM and repairing the partitions

Thank you @haydibe

Now Running latest DSM version on my HP Microserver Gen8!!!

Great tutorial jadehawk!

On 11/17/2018 at 11:53 AM, haydibe said:

I actually upgraded three VMs on my two HP Microserver Gen8 this week.

Two of the VMs have an additional LSI Controller in passthrough mode, which forced me to tinker arround with the SataPortMap setting in the grub.cfg.

All of them use an intel 1000e vnic.

@haydibe could you indicate me which changes you did with SataPortMap in grub.cfg ? I also have a LSI Controller in passthrough mode which didnt work properly since i update ( it only show me 1 of 4 hdd attached to the controller... somethin strange 😥

Depending on whether you have added a SATA1 controller, the problems and the settings to prevent them will be different.

In my setup, the SATA1 controller is recognzied as first, this is why DiskIdxMap=0C mapped my SATA1:0 disk to the first eSata slot, which made the volume unusable for me. Setting DiskIdxMap=09 moved my SATA1:0 disk to the 10th slot, which made it usable again.

Since I have SATA0, SATA1 and the Passthrough controller, I used SataPortMap to tell DSM that each of the controller has 4 harddisks, regardless of the real number of drives.

I had 114 before, though the result was slot 1,3,4,5 have been the LSI-Harddisks, 2 was SATA0:0 and  whatever DiskIdxMap inidicated was SATA1:1.

With my setup, I use DiskIdxMap=09 and SataPortMap=444. This settings work without modifiying any of the two synoinfo.conf files ;)

Those are not the best feasable settings! DiskIdxMap determins the first disk on a controller and is a two digit hex value, while SataPortMap is a single digit value from 1-9 per controller.

I am pretty sure that DiskIdxMap=000C01 SataPortMap=114   would result in SATA1:0 = Slot1, SATA0:0 = Slot13, LSI Slot2-5.

Edited by haydibe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, haydibe said:

Depending on whether you have added a SATA1 controller, the problems and the settings to prevent them will be different.

In my setup, the SATA1 controller is recognzied as first, this is why DiskIdxMap=0C mapped my SATA1:0 disk to the first eSata slot, which made the volume unusable for me. Setting DiskIdxMap=09 moved my SATA1:0 disk to the 10th slot, which made it usable again.

Since I have SATA0, SATA1 and the Passthrough controller, I used SataPortMap to tell DSM that each of the controller has 4 harddisks, regardless of the real number of drives.

I had 114 before, though the result was slot 1,3,4,5 have been the LSI-Harddisks, 2 was SATA0:0 and  whatever DiskIdxMap inidicated was SATA1:1.

With my setup, I use DiskIdxMap=09 and SataPortMap=444. This settings work without modifiying any of the two synoinfo.conf files ;)

Those are not the best feasable settings! DiskIdxMap determins the first disk on a controller and is a two digit hex value, while SataPortMap is a single digit value from 1-9 per controller.

I am pretty sure that DiskIdxMap=000C01 SataPortMap=114   would result in SATA1:0 = Slot1, SATA0:0 = Slot13, LSI Slot2-5.

Thank you @haydibe! That works like a charm 😀

I followed your final suggestion "DiskIdxMap=000C01 SataPortMap=114   would result in SATA1:0 = Slot1, SATA0:0 = Slot13, LSI Slot2-5."

Edited by vichu

7 hours ago, themogul504 said:

Can't find mines at all anymore. Do they block you if you hit autoinstall? Because ever since I hit autoinstall it will never find a new ESXi virtual machine. I had tried countless times to no avail.

Are you re-using the synoboot.img? I had the same issues before, after I try to update to the latest DSM. the only way to get the VM working again was to delete and re-upload the synoboot.img to the datastore..

7 hours ago, themogul504 said:

Can't find mines at all anymore. Do they block you if you hit autoinstall? Because ever since I hit autoinstall it will never find a new ESXi virtual machine. I had tried countless times to no avail.

Are you re-using the synoboot.img? I had the same issues before, after I try to update to the latest DSM. the only way to get the VM working again was to delete and re-upload the synoboot.img to the datastore..

Hello all. 

I'm trying to follow this tutorial, very nice by the way, but the VM is not able to get any ip from the DHCP. Checking the grub.cfg from the boot image i've realiced that the vid and the pid is not change. do I need to change it?

Other question, is there any problem to use the passthrough instead the RDM?

Thanks for your help.

i5Js

18 hours ago, i5Js said:

Hello all. 

I'm trying to follow this tutorial, very nice by the way, but the VM is not able to get any ip from the DHCP. Checking the grub.cfg from the boot image i've realiced that the vid and the pid is not change. do I need to change it?

Other question, is there any problem to use the passthrough instead the RDM?

Thanks for your help.

i5Js

In my case. with the HP Gen 8. I was unable to use pass-through of the drives and still be able to use the SSD drive on SATA5. (I may be doing something wrong, but I got it working using RDM) YMMV.

As for the vid , pid. I didn't change them. I just made sure that the MAC address was correct. and I have two Ethernet ports. one is to connect to the VM Host and the other is for the XPEnology Virtual Machine.

Just now, jadehawk said:

In my case. with the HP Gen 8. I was unable to use pass-through of the drives and still be able to use the SSD drive on SATA5. (I may be doing something wrong, but I got it working using RDM) YMMV.

As for the vid , pid. I didn't change them. I just made sure that the MAC address was correct. and I have two Ethernet ports. one is to connect to the VM Host and the other is for the XPEnology Virtual Machine.

Many thanks for your answer.

Finally I've found the issue. I was using the 1.04b boot loader which is incompatible with my CPU, too old. I'm using now 1.3b and works flawless.

I'm going to migrate from 3617 to 3615 to upgrade to 6.2.1

Thanks!

Well I can passthough the asm1062 card, but the DSM doesn't recognice its msata drive. Via cli I can see it, but DSM doesn't :(

admin@VM:~$ sudo fdisk /dev/sdaf
Welcome to fdisk (util-linux 2.26.2).
Changes will remain in memory only, until you decide to write them.

Be careful before using the write command.

Command (m for help): p
Disk /dev/sdaf: 59.6 GiB, 64023257088 bytes, 125045424 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0xb94a1b35
Device     Boot   Start       End   Sectors  Size Id Type
/dev/sdaf1         2048   4982527   4980480  2.4G fd Linux raid autodetect
/dev/sdaf2      4982528   9176831   4194304    2G fd Linux raid autodetect
/dev/sdaf3      9437184 124840607 115403424   55G fd Linux raid autodetect

Edited by Polanskiman
Added code tags.

I think I found the problem, but don't know how to solve. 

The DSM, I guess only recognize some number of drives in a determinate order. In my case, the drive attaced to ASM controller is the sdaf wchich should be the 30th I guess and becasue of that, It can't be added to DSM

Any ideas?

On 11/17/2018 at 11:50 PM, jadehawk said:

To those interested.. 

• DSM 6.2.1-23824 Update 1 = Did NOT work on ESXi Using DS3617xs (Changing Network vnic to E1000e did not help)
  • DSM 6.2.1-23824 Update 1 = Works 100% on ESXi  Using DS3615xs (Changing Network vnic to E1000e).
  • Migrating the already setup Volume from DS3617xs to DS3615xs was as simple as reassigning the vmdk disks 1-3 to the new VM and repairing the partitions

Thank you @haydibe

Now Running latest DSM version on my HP Microserver Gen8!!!

Change you change the network vnic back to vmxnet3 after updating? will it affect future DSM updates?