XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install/DSM 6.2 on ESXi [HP Microserver Gen8] with RDM

jadehawk

On 12/30/2018 at 5:18 AM, JJJL said:

Dear @jadehawk, your video tutorial has been very helpful. Thank you very much, I seem to have followed your instructions in detail. Yet I get the error below when trying to update to DSM 6.2.1-23824 Update 1 (from DSM 6.2-23739 Update 2 on DS3615xs with E1000e). Would you have any idea what I could be doing wrong?

Thanks, J

Screenshot 2018-12-29 at 23.14.38.png

Screenshot 2018-12-29 at 23.14.28.png

Looking At your screenshot. I think you are trying to install the incorrect .PAT file.

You need to install the one found here : https://global.download.synology.com/download/DSM/release/6.2.1/23824/DSM_DS3615xs_23824.pat

I just tested that again on a new VM and it get's you up to Latest Version as of today 01/02/2019

Hope this helps.

15 hours ago, jadehawk said:

Looking At your screenshot. I think you are trying to install the incorrect .PAT file.

You need to install the one found here : https://global.download.synology.com/download/DSM/release/6.2.1/23824/DSM_DS3615xs_23824.pat

I just tested that again on a new VM and it get's you up to Latest Version as of today 01/02/2019

Hope this helps.

So... we can run jun 1.03b in a vm until 01/02/2019 patchs? Is that correct?

2 hours ago, codedmind said:

So... we can run jun 1.03b in a vm until 01/02/2019 patchs? Is that correct?

As of right now. my VM is running DSM 6.2.1-23824 Update 4.

As Always you should ALWAYS verify this on your own (I made another Test VM to see if it worked) BEFORE making any changes (Updates) to your "Production" Xpenology install.

My hardware is an HP Microserver Gen 8. If you have something different it may not work out the same.. VM or NOT.

Best Practice is always to test on a disposable copy of your XPenology install, for us running VM's is simple to just add another VM and see. You are ultimately responsible for your data.

ESXi VM.png

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, jadehawk said:

As of right now. my VM is running DSM 6.2.1-23824 Update 4.

As Always you should ALWAYS verify this on your own (I made another Test VM to see if it worked) BEFORE making any changes (Updates) to your "Production" Xpenology install.

My hardware is an HP Microserver Gen 8. If you have something different it may not work out the same.. VM or NOT.

Best Practice is always to test on a disposable copy of your XPenology install, for us running VM's is simple to just add another VM and see. You are ultimately responsible for your data.

ESXi VM.png

I'm on the same boat... i have a gen8 and esxi, i have a lsi1015 instead off hp.

I will clone my vm and try... do you update manually each pat or do only use the last one?

Are you running scsi or sata?

49 minutes ago, codedmind said:

I'm on the same boat... i have a gen8 and esxi, i have a lsi1015 instead off hp.

I will clone my vm and try... do you update manually each pat or do only use the last one?

Are you running scsi or sata?

I go manual install. however this time I tried it both ways and both worked. Also I am on SATA with my 3 drives in RDM..

Just now, jadehawk said:

I go manual install. however this time I tried it both ways and both worked. Also I am on SATA with my 3 drives in RDM..

Well... last question do you have the synobootboot (50mb) drive and 3 rdm drives or do you have another small vm disk where do you install the synology ?

My vm configuration as of today is the synoboot(50mb) (sata) and then 3 passthrouh drives  (scsi)

On 1/2/2019 at 10:03 PM, jadehawk said:

Hope this helps.

Thanks! That version indeed worked. I got mine from the Synology ftp. Not sure what the difference is..?

https://archive.synology.com/download/DSM/criticalupdate/update_pack/23824-4/

Or is that just the update? While yours is the full release?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

So there's no way to get the vmxnet3 10GBe working with DSM6.2?

I was trying to install synoboot 1.04b with ds918 but it doesn't show up on my network. Tried on VMworkstation on my desktop i7-7820x and it shows up but in a diferent subnet and can't access it!!!

So the HP micro G8 it's not compatible with the later loader and drivers right ?

Edited by Oliveiras

44 minutes ago, Oliveiras said:

Hello,

So there's no way to get the vmxnet3 10GBe working with DSM6.2?

I was trying to install synoboot 1.04b with ds918 but it doesn't show up on my network. Tried on VMworkstation on my desktop i7-7820x and it shows up but in a diferent subnet and can't access it!!!

So the HP micro G8 it's not compatible with the later loader and drivers right ?

Correct. The DS918 requires a new generation CPU. Which means we (HP Gen 8) are stuck on DS3615xs.

• 1 month later...

@bagheera

i had to check it recently...

1 drive in raid1 died, after replacing it, DSM rebuilt raid1.

raid0 drive had some error and data came to read only mode.  (its irrelevant data so i copied them, erased that disk and attached again. its working since then without any issues)

everything depends on raid type and disk failure

9 minutes ago, luchuma said:

@bagheera

i had to check it recently...

1 drive in raid1 died, after replacing it, DSM rebuilt raid1.

raid0 drive had some error and data came to read only mode.  (its irrelevant data so i copied them, erased that disk and attached again. its working since then without any issues)

everything depends on raid type and disk failure

Great thanks.  I am guessing you had to map the new drive again as it will have a new serial number and delete the mapping of the old drive.

Hi everyone, 

So I followed the video tutorial and I managed to go to post reboot installation part and then at the end of 10 mins countdown it just doesn't find anything anymore. When I go to the IP I had during the installation: nothing, when I go to the site find.synology.com: nothing, it's just like it disapeared but my VM still running.

I used all the files from the video except for the .pat that is not available anymore so I used the DS3615xs_23824.pat. 

I have a GEN8 Proliant with ESXi 6.7 on it.

Does anyone know why?

Thank you in advance. :)

Does anyone experience any real slow down accessing their DSM when trying to log into the WEBUI when you have stuff copying to a share.

I noticed that I copy stuff to a share then trying to access the WEBUI everything just becomes super slow.   Does this happen to anyone else?

My setup is HP GEN8 running ESXI 6.5 U2 with RDM.

1 minute ago, bagheera said:

Does anyone experience any real slow down accessing their DSM when trying to log into the WEBUI when you have stuff copying to a share.

I noticed that I copy stuff to a share then trying to access the WEBUI everything just becomes super slow.   Does this happen to anyone else?

My setup is HP GEN8 running ESXI 6.5 U2 with RDM.

Where do you have your esxi installed?

I feel the same... For instance when Kodi is updating the library (from xpenology nfs) I cannot play nothing

I have esxi installed in sdcard and xpenology disk passthrough via a lsi card. Esxi datastore is in hba odd port ... Can't figure where the bottleneck is... But it is there somewhere

Just now, codedmind said:

Where do you have your esxi installed?

I feel the same... For instance when Kodi is updating the library (from xpenology nfs) I cannot play nothing

I have esxi installed in sdcard and xpenology disk passthrough via a lsi card. Esxi datastore is in hba odd port ... Can't figure where the bottleneck is... But it is there somewhere

ESXI is installed onto a SSD drive which it boots from plugged into the internal sata port.    i have no lsi cards.

So I was testing the throughput more today.

If I mount a SMB or AFP share and attempt to sent a 5GB file to the server it starts off transferring at 80MB/s then within 10 seconds the throughput plummets down to around 4MB/s,  sometimes it will just hang and the transfer will just stop and then randomly resumes again.

Only thing I could think was I set the Sata controller to legacy mode.  I had to do this so I could boot my ESXI from the spare ODD port.  Maybe if I shift it over the a sata controller and set back to AHCI that could improve things.  

So I think I have gotten to the bottom of this.

I bought a £20 Syba PCI-E SATA Controller from Amazon thanks to their same day delivery:  https://amzn.to/2SAF3ev.  Installed that into my GEN8 and connected my SSD which has ESXI and the Datastore into that, before it was connected to the blue ODD port and the bios SATA controller settings where set to legacy mode so I could boot from the ODD.

Anyway I then in my BIOS i changed the SATA controller back to AHCI mode and set the PCI-E Sata Controller to boot so ESXI (installed on the SSD) would boot from that.  Everything booted up fine.  Fired up my Xpenology VM then connected to one of my shares by SMB and started to copy a 16GB file and it maxed out flat at 115MB/s and didn't drop out once.  File was copied in just a couple of minutes.

Happy days :D 

• 1 month later...
On 11/9/2018 at 9:44 AM, jadehawk said:

Video tutorial on how to get XPEnology to run on an HP Microserver Gen8 via ESXi 6.7, and install DSM 6.2 on SSD drive on ODD port, and pass drivebays to VM with RDM (Raw Data Mapping)

MANY Thanx go to the great tutorial already posted here by @luchuma [ Tutorial: Install/DSM 6.2 on ESXi 6.7 ]

I just always prefer to watch a video ;)

GREAT tutorial m8. Very well done in explaining!

I got everything working today based on the updates you posted on the youtube video.

I just have one question I never really found out.. Why create the 32 (or something) GB volume from the datastore disk as a harddisk inside the VM? You never showed what it should be used for.. So now I have my 2 HDD's plus this unused space in synology that I dont really know what to do with.

I understand I can just remove it from the VM and put it back to the esxi datastore space but I was hoping for something useful to do with it.. I first thought of installing DSM on it as a own volume and have entire DSM + packages I run go to that space that is faster SSD space compared to a HDD. However I got a bit scared since its not mirrored and have no redundancy, so if my SSD crash (it's very old now) Im thinking I will get some problems with my machine.. Thoughts?

Also one last question: Can we get temps on the HDD's in synology some way? Like you can with other systems going in to "info" and "storage" or simply clicking the HDD's in the volume manager?

Thanks again!

Edit:

Ohh and last question!

I have total 8 GB ram in my system. But only managed to put 4gb RAM in the VM. Do you know if I can increase this? I couldnt hit 6GB for some reason. Not sure how much esxi forces me to reserve for it but Im not really planning on doing anything else then xpenology on this device for now.. Its my offsite backup server.

Edited by Jamzor

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, rkoperdak said:

Hi, I would like ask you, I prepared installation USB (HP EXSi), my Microserver has 4x 3TB WD Red HDD and 1x 1TB no SSD HDD (ODD Bay). And now my question where can I install EXSi? to USB stick or HDD of Microserver? Thank you. Robert

I've installed mine in a microsd, but you can install it in an USB key as well.