XPEnology Community

Best USB 3.0 PCIe card?

MooseMan123

Question

I have DSM running in ESXi, so it has no available USB 3.0 ports. I am looking to purchase the most compatible USB 3.0 card so I can pass it through to the VM

I searched the forums, however there wasn't too much info out there. Has anyone got any recommendations for the most generic chipset USB 3.0 card that should be supported for the foreseeable future? 

18 answers to this question

Just now, flyride said:

Well you can do that.  But seems like a waste if you already have ports available.  I have never heard of anyone needing to do this and the native DSM drivers are undoubtedly all for Intel chipset USB, so you may not get any useful advice for a working card for passthrough.

I don't have any USB 3.0 ports on this board, so sadly I can't just throw that controller into DSM. Its an X9 Dual 2011 Supermicro board, I think I am just 1 generation behind USB 3.0 implementation

I have a metric butt-load of PCI-e slots though, so its no problem to throw a card in there. The passthrough with ESXi doesn't really matter, anything will work for that, its purely if its supported in DSM. I know quite a few people have added USB 3.0 PCIe cards, but there isn't much detail out there on brands/chipsets etc

Hello everyone, 

My motherboard Asus H61M-K don’t have USB3.0, so with my ignorance I decided to buy a KKmoon STW PCI Express Card PCI-E to USB3.0, I installed the card, connected the molex to the card, and my Expenology doesn`t recognize it.

Then I found that Expenology don’t work with all the cards, is that right?

Then I found a forum where a user successfully installed a PCI-E to USB3.0, and said that Currently Xpenology copying files from an external USB 3.0 HDD at 57MB/s, that’s not the speed from a USB3.0 is this the max speed from this kind of cards?

Can anyone help me to find a solution to use USB3.0 to do my backups faster,

Thanks a lot for your time,  

6 hours ago, Cleo said:

My motherboard Asus H61M-K don’t have USB3.0, so with my ignorance I decided to buy a KKmoon STW PCI Express Card PCI-E to USB3.0, I installed the card, connected the molex to the card, and my Expenology doesn`t recognize it.

from a quick look it seems to be a nec chip

my card needed a firmware update before working with linux, windows did work fine for years before that

https://www.station-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=353&func=fileinfo&id=120&lang=en

On 2/25/2021 at 1:02 AM, IG-88 said:

from a quick look it seems to be a nec chip

my card needed a firmware update before working with linux, windows did work fine for years before that

https://www.station-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=353&func=fileinfo&id=120&lang=en

Hi IG-88, and thanks for the info,

The nec chip you said I guess is from the motherboard not from the PCI card, right?

If is from the motherboard, how can I update it? I have the last Bios Version 0801 from Asus,

Thanks a lot for your time,

On 2/24/2021 at 6:43 PM, Cleo said:

My motherboard Asus H61M-K don’t have USB3.0, so with my ignorance I decided to buy a KKmoon STW PCI Express Card PCI-E to USB3.0, I

3 minutes ago, Cleo said:

The nec chip you said I guess is from the motherboard not from the PCI card, right?

your chip is on the card if your own statement is  true (i also looked up the card you have and it looked like a renesas/nec chip)

i did did the update with a pcie card (older trancend), also had one or two others here and they got it working after the update

so put your card into a windows computer and try to update

16 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

your chip is on the card if your own statement is  true (i also looked up the card you have and it looked like a renesas/nec chip)

i did did the update with a pcie card (older trancend), also had one or two others here and they got it working after the update

so put your card into a windows computer and try to update

Hi IG-88,

So I take the PCI card, then I install it on a windows computer and update it? execute the drivers form the link you send it

And return the PCI card to the computer where the Xpenology Is installed?

Edited by Cleo

1 hour ago, Cleo said:

So I take the PCI card, then I install it on a windows computer and update it? execute the drivers form the link you send it

And return the PCI card to the computer where the Xpenology Is installed?

yes but its not a driver, win10 should have one already, the file you download is firmware for the chip

Hi,

Can anyone help me please, I download the content from the link, installed the PCIe card on a windows 10 computer and try to execute de files, this is what I get, does that mean that I’m doing something wrong ?

thanks a lot for your time,  

2021-03-03_19-02-58.png

Hi, On the drivers cd I found, drivers for these two chips:

Chip model: 720201/720202 NEC

Chip model VIA: VL805, VL806

They just put drivers for all their devices not just this one,

How do I know which is mine?

And how do I update the chip ?

thanks for your time

Edited by Cleo

7 hours ago, Cleo said:

How do I know which is mine?

you read whats written on the chip and if that does not help you post it here

on my card the 1st line is "D720202" and thats a nec/renesas chip

the firmware from above is only for nec/renesas

also post what exactly is writen on the card as manufacturer code, something like this

image.png.4da2e5a225a35b2d3fcdfc61a7eb0e89.png

there seems to be moe thenone card

this one from KKmoon is a via/vli card, its clearly to see on the chip and also the name of the card contains the chip type (vl805)

image.png.20d9dc4095ff7c91a1496e646dce7e54.png

On 3/7/2021 at 7:36 PM, IG-88 said:

you read whats written on the chip and if that does not help you post it here

on my card the 1st line is "D720202" and thats a nec/renesas chip

the firmware from above is only for nec/renesas

also post what exactly is writen on the card as manufacturer code, something like this

image.png.4da2e5a225a35b2d3fcdfc61a7eb0e89.png

there seems to be moe thenone card

this one from KKmoon is a via/vli card, its clearly to see on the chip and also the name of the card contains the chip type (vl805)

image.png.20d9dc4095ff7c91a1496e646dce7e54.png

Hi IG-88 ,

This are the pictures from my card,  I guess is the nº one D720202 right?

Can you guide me through the upgrade please?

Thanks a lot for your time  IG-88,

01.jpg

02.png

d720202 it the host controller and d720210 is a hub

https://www.renesas.com/us/en/products/interface-connectivity/usb-switches-hubs/upd720202-usb-30-host-controller

https://www.renesas.com/us/en/products/interface-connectivity/usb-switches-hubs/upd720210-usb-30-hub-controller

not sure if the presence of the hub chip makes a difference, my card is just a 2port card without hub

you should start the updater with elevated rights (as administrator) and also check if the card is found in device manager before trying to update

you can also try the 3.x firmware, its a few years since i did it, not sure, maybe it was the 3.x firmware

http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=353&func=fileinfo&id=121&lang=en

might also be that i used a older (nin win10) for it and the updater is not win10 compatible, that stuff is about 10 years old so there are lots of things that can go wrong

this post points to a even older 2.x firmware

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/18601-tuto-hp-n54l-avec-dsm-623/?do=findComment&comment=127473

so i'd say try the 3.x and then 2.x  firmware update if the 4.x does not work

On 3/9/2021 at 8:27 PM, IG-88 said:

that stuff is about 10 years old so there are lots of things that can go wrong

Hi IG-88, thanks a lot for your time, 

The win10 detected the card, the controller it was 3.0.23.0, but I couldn’t make it work with the files I downloaded. I really don’t have the basic knowledge to fix this,

I will continue doing the backups with USB2 until I have a new motherboard,  thanks again for your time

Renesas.png