Hostilian

J3455-ITX new BIOS finally released

Recommended Posts

This is a popular board for Xpenology installs, so just as an FYI..

Asrock have finally 'officially' released some of the BIOS that have been floating around the internet for a while..

Feeling a lot more comfortable updating them now - considering the previous reports of bricked boards..

 

1.70 (bridging BIOS - need to do this first)

1.80 (latest update)

 

Asrock J3455-ITX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hostilian said:

This is a popular board for Xpenology installs, so just as an FYI..

Asrock have finally 'officially' released some of the BIOS that have been floating around the internet for a while..

Feeling a lot more comfortable updating them now - considering the previous reports of bricked boards..

 

1.70 (bridging BIOS - need to do this first)

1.80 (latest update)

 

Asrock J3455-ITX

 

Hi, thanks for the update!

 

is there a changelog or something like that somewhere? I couldn't find it on Asrock's website or in the forums.

What changed in 1.70 and 1.80 compared to 1.60?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure, couldn't find it on the site either - though 1.7 was meant deal with Spectre.

 

Both worked without issue on my board..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't use transcoding... To be honest, I don't see the point; I stream to whatever I'm watching it on in whatever format it's in..

I'm not saying it's not working, just that I've not tried it..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Hostilian said:

I don't use transcoding... To be honest, I don't see the point; I stream to whatever I'm watching it on in whatever format it's in..

I'm not saying it's not working, just that I've not tried it..

ah so ill assume its not :( 

 

easiest way to tell if transcoding would work is to see if /dev/dri exists

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have video station, media server or any other media packages installed on this box - I don't even use it to store movies (that's on my other DS3615 box).. It's a low-power, always-on box for Surveillance station, MP3's, Backups and a temporary file store..

Should that folder exist without any of those packages - and without any attempt to stream anything?

It doesn't exist, by the way..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

13 hours ago, Hostilian said:

I don't have video station, media server or any other media packages installed on this box - I don't even use it to store movies (that's on my other DS3615 box).. It's a low-power, always-on box for Surveillance station, MP3's, Backups and a temporary file store..

Should that folder exist without any of those packages - and without any attempt to stream anything?

It doesn't exist, by the way..

 

yeah it should be there regardless of what is installed. means the gpu is crashing on startup, performance will be pretty lousy and will occasionally get stuck on shutdown/restart.

 

basically there's not one advantage to running the 918 loader unless transcoding is required. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These versions of bios is on-line several days ago. But there seems to be some problem with the bios file.

My j3455-itx has bios version 1.60. When I use instant flash of the motherboard, the 1.70 doesn't show up while 1.80 shows up.

But the website clearly states one should first update the bios to 1.70 if it's original version is older than that before updating to 1.80.

So currently i still haven't update my bios.

But on the website, it says bios v1.80 updates the TXE FW version to 3.1.50.2222, which is exact my current verion(my bios version is 1.60, which is not listed on the website of asrock).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, fenguoerbian said:

These versions of bios is on-line several days ago. But there seems to be some problem with the bios file.

My j3455-itx has bios version 1.60. When I use instant flash of the motherboard, the 1.70 doesn't show up while 1.80 shows up.

But the website clearly states one should first update the bios to 1.70 if it's original version is older than that before updating to 1.80.

So currently i still haven't update my bios.

But on the website, it says bios v1.80 updates the TXE FW version to 3.1.50.2222, which is exact my current verion(my bios version is 1.60, which is not listed on the website of asrock).

Dont use the version that connects to the internet to download the BIOS OR any version that updates within Windows. You'll potentially be left with a Brick..

Always update with a previously downloaded BIOS file, extracted, and use the BIOS utility to select this file for upgrade.

I've read many reports of these boards being bricked due to the first two methods.

I downloaded 1.7 and flashed that (fine) from 1.40.

Then 1.8 and flashed that (fine).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update to 1.8 via USB stick was successfull too (just my picky flatscreen doesn't like the DVI signal anymore, VGA is OK)

 

I've downloaded 1.7 and 1.8, unzipped them to USB stick and flashed from 1.4 to 1.7 and then from 1.7 to 1.8

I can check TXE FW version later at home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not worth it - there's nothing new this bios really provides.

 

In fact - the exact same bios was release back in june for the j3455M. they've just finally got around to updating it for the other j3455 model boards. 

 

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/J3455M/?cat=Download&os=BIOS

 

from testing each of the versions on 3 different models with a handful of operating systems - v1.30 is the one i recommend :91_thumbsup:

Edited by ideasman69

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2018 at 10:38 AM, ideasman69 said:

from testing each of the versions on 3 different models with a handful of operating systems - v1.30 is the one i recommend :91_thumbsup:

 

Do you also recommend to go back from v1.80 to v1.30 (if downgrade is possible)?

Why do you recommend v1.30?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, deklan said:

Do you also recommend to go back from v1.80 to v1.30 (if downgrade is possible)?

Why do you recommend v1.30?

 

yeah downgrade is possible. just use afudos.exe on a usb boot disk with DOS (but i have one of these as backup)

 

1.30 was the last release before all the spectre/meltdown stuff. bios' past this gave unpredictable results in Windows 10 and lowered performance.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ideasman69 said:

yeah downgrade is possible. just use afudos.exe on a usb boot disk with DOS (but i have one of these as backup)

 

Thanks, I will try it. 

Which afudos version will work?

There are a lot of versions out there with different compatibilities (AMIBIOS8, APTIO) and different parameters.

Google search failed

 

Update:  Update worked fine with AFUDOS 5.07.01 (for Aptio V)

using command:


afudos APLITX1.30 /X /B /P /N 

 

Flashing process took longer than expected but finally everything is fine.

Thanks ideasman!

Edited by deklan
Update stepts + result added

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/7/2018 at 9:36 AM, Hostilian said:

This is a popular board for Xpenology installs, so just as an FYI..

Asrock J3455-ITX

FYI, maybe could be useful for someone thinking about what to get to start a xpenology build.

It is so trendy I guess just because it is what DS918+ has, and which people I think doesn't know that this motherboard has, despite is saying celeron, but is just an Atom family processor and not a regular desktop one.

That's the reason I didn't get the original DS918+, which I was about to buy (I was coming from the DS1512+), until I realized about the Atom processor, which on top of that is old considering new hardware.

 

Edited by ed_co

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2018 at 8:08 AM, ideasman69 said:

 

yeah downgrade is possible. just use afudos.exe on a usb boot disk with DOS (but i have one of these as backup)

 

1.30 was the last release before all the spectre/meltdown stuff. bios' past this gave unpredictable results in Windows 10 and lowered performance.

image.png.b48c39e3da5a17c4122daf40f820aafe.png

thanks so I am gonna stay on version 1.30

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder how could you have flashed this *UEFI motherboard* with MSDOS.

I used to flash motherboard using Freedos, but it is not possible on UEFI hardware anymore. :(

What is the trick I am missing here? (I left the windows world since so long, ...)

 

I have the same motherboard with firmware v1.60, and like others, it was impossible for me to upgrade to v1.70 (not seen by flash utility), so I gave up with the idea to upgrade to v1.80. However, I am very interested in downgrading to v1.30.

Thanks for your help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More importantly, I have front USB2/USB3 (those from the mobo connectors) that have unstable powering making, for example, keyboard's LEDs to blink!

I have other issues with this motherboard, including "CMCI Storm" reported in system logs.

These issues are the reasons why I wanted to give a try to more recent firmware versions at first.

By the way, with v1.60, I have /dev/dri/ (Debian 10.5 - Linux 4.19).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Copy the bios update files (unzipped) to a FAT32 formatted USB flash drive.
Boot your PC into the BIOS - you should have a BIOS updater utility somewhere in the menus.
Use it, select your USB drive as the source, choose the update file and that should be it. Let it do it's thing and cross your fingers..

 

You don't need to boot to DOS on a floppy drive (the run a BIOS updater) nor update from within the OS anymore.  ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Il y a 3 heures, Hostilian a dit :

You don't need to boot to DOS on a floppy drive (the run a BIOS updater) nor update from within the OS anymore.  ;)

When I do that, I can only see v1.80 proposed by the BIOS updater utility. 

In the end I cannot upgrade to v1.80 since one have first to install v1.70 beforehand, but it never shows up even when it is the only BIOS file present in the USB stick.

I thought that using a DOS bootable stick + afudos.exe would allow me to control what can be done (either to install v1.70+v1.80 or to downgrade to v1.30 as some are suggesting in this thread).

Edited by NicoLarve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can only suggest you make sure it's the correct BIOS file and it's unzipped correctly.

There are  a couple of versions of this board; so make sure you grab the right one.

 

Can't remember exactly, was 18 months ago or more..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you.

This is what I did: all of the BIOS I have come from the same page: https://asrock.com/mb/Intel/J3455-ITX/#BIOS

I do really have a J3455-ITX board (=lshw= confirmed it).

Files have been unzipped of course and are all of the same type, according to =file= command:

$ file A*
APLITX1.30:    Intel serial flash for PCH ROM
APLITX1.40:    Intel serial flash for PCH ROM
APLITX1.70:    Intel serial flash for PCH ROM
APOITX1.80:    Intel serial flash for PCH ROM

Only v1.80 is detected by the BIOS.

That is why I am interested in afudos.exe and bootable MSDOS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you tried downloading, unzipping and copying 1.70 file - to the flash drive - on a Windows PC?

Is it definitely Fat32 file type? Might be worth wiping it and reformatting - in Windows.

 

No idea about Afudos. Mine both worked fine when upgrading within the BIOS. 😕

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.