Hostilian

J3455-ITX new BIOS finally released

This is a popular board for Xpenology installs, so just as an FYI..

Asrock have finally 'officially' released some of the BIOS that have been floating around the internet for a while..

Feeling a lot more comfortable updating them now - considering the previous reports of bricked boards..

1.70 (bridging BIOS - need to do this first)

1.80 (latest update)

Asrock J3455-ITX

4 hours ago, Hostilian said:

This is a popular board for Xpenology installs, so just as an FYI..

Asrock have finally 'officially' released some of the BIOS that have been floating around the internet for a while..

Feeling a lot more comfortable updating them now - considering the previous reports of bricked boards..

1.70 (bridging BIOS - need to do this first)

1.80 (latest update)

Asrock J3455-ITX

Hi, thanks for the update!

is there a changelog or something like that somewhere? I couldn't find it on Asrock's website or in the forums.

What changed in 1.70 and 1.80 compared to 1.60?

hi. I installed this update. but nothing happened with HW transcoding. So it is still now work.

Not sure, couldn't find it on the site either - though 1.7 was meant deal with Spectre.

Both worked without issue on my board..

I don't use transcoding... To be honest, I don't see the point; I stream to whatever I'm watching it on in whatever format it's in..

I'm not saying it's not working, just that I've not tried it..

12 hours ago, Hostilian said:

I don't use transcoding... To be honest, I don't see the point; I stream to whatever I'm watching it on in whatever format it's in..

I'm not saying it's not working, just that I've not tried it..

ah so ill assume its not :( 

easiest way to tell if transcoding would work is to see if /dev/dri exists

I don't have video station, media server or any other media packages installed on this box - I don't even use it to store movies (that's on my other DS3615 box).. It's a low-power, always-on box for Surveillance station, MP3's, Backups and a temporary file store..

Should that folder exist without any of those packages - and without any attempt to stream anything?

It doesn't exist, by the way..

13 hours ago, Hostilian said:

I don't have video station, media server or any other media packages installed on this box - I don't even use it to store movies (that's on my other DS3615 box).. It's a low-power, always-on box for Surveillance station, MP3's, Backups and a temporary file store..

Should that folder exist without any of those packages - and without any attempt to stream anything?

It doesn't exist, by the way..

yeah it should be there regardless of what is installed. means the gpu is crashing on startup, performance will be pretty lousy and will occasionally get stuck on shutdown/restart.

basically there's not one advantage to running the 918 loader unless transcoding is required. 

These versions of bios is on-line several days ago. But there seems to be some problem with the bios file.

My j3455-itx has bios version 1.60. When I use instant flash of the motherboard, the 1.70 doesn't show up while 1.80 shows up.

But the website clearly states one should first update the bios to 1.70 if it's original version is older than that before updating to 1.80.

So currently i still haven't update my bios.

But on the website, it says bios v1.80 updates the TXE FW version to 3.1.50.2222, which is exact my current verion(my bios version is 1.60, which is not listed on the website of asrock).

21 minutes ago, fenguoerbian said:

These versions of bios is on-line several days ago. But there seems to be some problem with the bios file.

My j3455-itx has bios version 1.60. When I use instant flash of the motherboard, the 1.70 doesn't show up while 1.80 shows up.

But the website clearly states one should first update the bios to 1.70 if it's original version is older than that before updating to 1.80.

So currently i still haven't update my bios.

But on the website, it says bios v1.80 updates the TXE FW version to 3.1.50.2222, which is exact my current verion(my bios version is 1.60, which is not listed on the website of asrock).

Dont use the version that connects to the internet to download the BIOS OR any version that updates within Windows. You'll potentially be left with a Brick..

Always update with a previously downloaded BIOS file, extracted, and use the BIOS utility to select this file for upgrade.

I've read many reports of these boards being bricked due to the first two methods.

I downloaded 1.7 and flashed that (fine) from 1.40.

Then 1.8 and flashed that (fine).

Update to 1.8 via USB stick was successfull too (just my picky flatscreen doesn't like the DVI signal anymore, VGA is OK)

I've downloaded 1.7 and 1.8, unzipped them to USB stick and flashed from 1.4 to 1.7 and then from 1.7 to 1.8

I can check TXE FW version later at home.

It's not worth it - there's nothing new this bios really provides.

In fact - the exact same bios was release back in june for the j3455M. they've just finally got around to updating it for the other j3455 model boards. 

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/J3455M/?cat=Download&os=BIOS

from testing each of the versions on 3 different models with a handful of operating systems - v1.30 is the one i recommend :91_thumbsup:

Edited by ideasman69

On 11/12/2018 at 10:38 AM, ideasman69 said:

from testing each of the versions on 3 different models with a handful of operating systems - v1.30 is the one i recommend :91_thumbsup:

Do you also recommend to go back from v1.80 to v1.30 (if downgrade is possible)?

Why do you recommend v1.30?

14 minutes ago, deklan said:

Do you also recommend to go back from v1.80 to v1.30 (if downgrade is possible)?

Why do you recommend v1.30?

yeah downgrade is possible. just use afudos.exe on a usb boot disk with DOS (but i have one of these as backup)

1.30 was the last release before all the spectre/meltdown stuff. bios' past this gave unpredictable results in Windows 10 and lowered performance.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ideasman69 said:

yeah downgrade is possible. just use afudos.exe on a usb boot disk with DOS (but i have one of these as backup)

Thanks, I will try it. 

Which afudos version will work?

There are a lot of versions out there with different compatibilities (AMIBIOS8, APTIO) and different parameters.

Google search failed

Update:  Update worked fine with AFUDOS 5.07.01 (for Aptio V)

using command:

afudos APLITX1.30 /X /B /P /N 

Flashing process took longer than expected but finally everything is fine.

Thanks ideasman!

Edited by deklan
Update stepts + result added