XPEnology Community

Noob has questions :)

neno

hi.

i got a computer with intel cpu and i got it working with 5.x

but now when im trying to install 6.2 and ( yes i did change usb pid / vid  and mac serial)

and i got it to boot and now im stuck on the screen
"happy hacking"
and i tryed to go to find.synology.com and even tryed with synology assistant and i cant find my computer.
And the wierd part is i got it working with 5.x and i didnt have any prob with nic

btw. i tryed motherboard nic and i even bought a new one pci nic card but still not working.

So here is my question. What do u guys think im doing wrong. have been looking around on the forum and i cant find anything

Thx 

9 hours ago, bearcat said:

What NIC have you been trying on 6.2.x?

https://xpenology.com/forum/announcement/17-dsm-621-23824-warning/

First I tried my network from the motherboard then when I couldn’t get it to work I tried external pci card. And that still didn’t work. But if I go back to bootloader 5.x I do find my computer in my network. 

In regards to your question in the first post:

I think what you have done wrong, is to not read all the warnings in regards to this problem, and failed to check if your hardware is compatible before updating.

Then you made the next fail, assuming other people know what hardware you are using, allways be as specific as possible.

I'm a bit psycic, and by reading my Tarot cards 🤓, I can see that you tried using a non-supported nic, even if you did not specify the make/model.....

Thats why your old 5.x is working,  because of a change in the kernel config that breaks all non official PCIe devices drivers in 6.2.1.

Most likely, if Mars is entering the right orbit, an Intel based NIC would work...

5 hours ago, bearcat said:

In regards to your question in the first post:

I think what you have done wrong, is to not read all the warnings in regards to this problem, and failed to check if your hardware is compatible before updating.

Then you made the next fail, assuming other people know what hardware you are using, allways be as specific as possible.

I'm a bit psycic, and by reading my Tarot cards 🤓, I can see that you tried using a non-supported nic, even if you did not specify the make/model.....

Thats why your old 5.x is working,  because of a change in the kernel config that breaks all non official PCIe devices drivers in 6.2.1.

Most likely, if Mars is entering the right orbit, an Intel based NIC would work...

told you i was noob didnt i :)

well here is some infomation,

Fujitsu ESPRIMO E710 E90+ - Core i5 3470 3.2 GHz

Core i5 3470 / 3.2 GHz, RAM 4 GB, HD Graphics 2500, Gigabit LAN

network 😃

Intel 82579V

Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet

DMI 2.0

Wake on LAN (WoL), PXE-stöd

i guess that was all i could find.. :)

Edited by neno

Hello again, hope i did not scare you with my Tarot cards :-D 

According to this your computer has an onboard Intel NIC: I217LV  but here it says Intel 82579V (same chip as on your external PCIe card?).

From what I can read here,  the Intel 82579V should be all OK with DSM 6.2.1

So if you made your bootstick, with the correct vid/pid/sn//mac, and your are able to boot, and to install the .pat

it should have been working after the reboot.

Did you install the .pat manually, from a local copy, or was it automaticly downloading the newest DSM from internet?

Whats the name/fileversion of the bootloader you downloaded?

5 hours ago, bearcat said:

Hello again, hope i did not scare you with my Tarot cards :-D 

According to this your computer has an onboard Intel NIC: I217LV  but here it says Intel 82579V (same chip as on your external PCIe card?).

From what I can read here,  the Intel 82579V should be all OK with DSM 6.2.1

So if you made your bootstick, with the correct vid/pid/sn//mac, and your are able to boot, and to install the .pat

it should have been working after the reboot.

Did you install the .pat manually, from a local copy, or was it automaticly downloading the newest DSM from internet?

Whats the name/fileversion of the bootloader you downloaded?

you did scare me a bit there yes :) haha

the problem is i cant get pass the happy hacking screen from when i boot.

So i have not installed a .pat yet. Havnt found my computer on my local network.

Yes im almost 100% i did Vid/pid / sn / mac correct.

tried 6.1 / 6.2 / 6.2.1 and all versions 3615/3617/918

Just now, bearcat said:

Can you see any signs of your computer in the log of your DHCP server ?

And just to be sure, it HAS been working OK with DSM 5.x, using your internal nic (that suposedly is an Intel) ?

dont know how to find the logs :)
and yes it works well when i installed it with dsm5.x  ( i got my mac from dsm5.x) and same mac is on my board..

12 hours ago, dh22r said:

just adding my two cents ... maybe it's not relevant for the issues on this thread.

i'd to always boot in legacy mode for my NIC to work; boot via UEFI never seems to get an DHCP assigned IP address for my DS918+ build.

still not working :(

If you had it working on DSM 5.x,  by any chance you still remember what IP your router assigned your box? should still be in the routers DHCP table records... 

If you do maybe try to access the box with the IP address directly (once you are on the "happy hacking" screen)  IP X.X.X.X:5000