XPEnology Community

Upgrading to DSM 6.2 with ESXi 6.5

Jord226

Hi all, 

I've been holding off upgrading to DSM 6.2 for a while due to lack of time to carry out the task but now I'm ready, the only issue is I'm a little confused on how to do it. I'm currently running DSM 6.1.7-15284 based on a DS3617xs which is running on my Dell PowerEdge R710 in ESXi 6.5 and from what I understand I need to use the new bootloader by Jun in order to carry out the upgrade but I don't understand how I can do that without creating a new virtual machine from scratch with the new bootloader, unless I'm being dumb and I'm missing something here? 

Also how are people backing up all their data from the Synology in preparation for the upgrade? Obviously, I don't want to lose any data if the upgrade goes pear-shaped! 

TIA

• 3 weeks later...

if you do some research, you fill learn a couple of things:

1. DSM6.2.1 IS WORKING if the vNic is set to Intel 1000e

2. Synoboot must be the drive on SATA0:0

3. You need to add a new SATA controller (SATA1) and assign all existing vmdk/rmk to SATA1:0, SATA1:1 and so on.

4. If you use direct-io to passthru a physical SATA controller you need to figure out if DSM6.2.1 supports it OOTB.

I did the very same update on 3 VMs, where two have LSI controlles passed in via direct-io. The only trouble was to get drives on the passthru adapter to work properly.

Though, even this could be fixed afterwards.

• 1 month later...

I am in the same situation and also running DSM 6.1.7 with Jun 1.02b bootloader.  From all what I have been reading it sounds like it needs to be a new VM from scratch and nothing about how to upgrade an existing.

Any help would be great.

On 11/4/2018 at 7:19 PM, Jord226 said:

Hi all, 

I've been holding off upgrading to DSM 6.2 for a while due to lack of time to carry out the task but now I'm ready, the only issue is I'm a little confused on how to do it. I'm currently running DSM 6.1.7-15284 based on a DS3617xs which is running on my Dell PowerEdge R710 in ESXi 6.5 and from what I understand I need to use the new bootloader by Jun in order to carry out the upgrade but I don't understand how I can do that without creating a new virtual machine from scratch with the new bootloader, unless I'm being dumb and I'm missing something here? 

Also how are people backing up all their data from the Synology in preparation for the upgrade? Obviously, I don't want to lose any data if the upgrade goes pear-shaped! 

TIA

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2019 at 3:13 PM, bagheera said:

From the sounds of reading various threads this is what I believe you need to do from this thread:

Just download a more up to date bootloader like 1.03b and the 6.2 pat file.

Have you managed to do this? If so how did it go? Seem's pretty straight forward. But what i want to know the most is how are people backing up all the data on their Xpenology servers first, cos if i mess this up i could lose TB's worth of data :(

You can definitely upgrade from 6.1 to 6.2.x without building a new VM, but you will need to replace your boot loader with 1.03b or 1.04b.  As soon as you do that it will prompt to install DSM 6.2.x and then upgrade with your existing VM information and drives.

Your risk is that your NIC or controllers aren't supported. If you don't passthrough anything that shouldn't be a problem. But you have a virtualized environment already.  Build up a test system exactly like your current system, write down your upgrade procedure, and test it so you know your procedure will work.  And even if something goes wrong, your data isn't automatically at risk, you just can't get to it until you resolve the problem.  But you are correct in that you should have a backup somewhere else so you don't have to worry about that.

Personally, I have two XPEnology servers and I use BTRFS snapshot replication to create exact copies from one to the other.  Much, much better than any traditional backup application.

Edited by flyride

11 hours ago, Jord226 said:

Have you managed to do this? If so how did it go? Seem's pretty straight forward. But what i want to know the most is how are people backing up all the data on their Xpenology servers first, cos if i mess this up i could lose TB's worth of data :(

I managed to go from 6.1.7 to 6.2 with no problems at all on my ESXI 6.5

I replaced my existing bootloader in my datastore with the new 1.03b bootloader.  I fired up the VM and on a browser went to find.synology.com and it found it then it asked me if I wanted to migrate and I manually downloaded the 6.2 PAT file.  I used this one:  https://archive.synology.com/download/DSM/release/6.2/23739/DSM_DS3615xs_23739.pat.  Installed fine without any issues.

I've not updated to 6.2.1 as that will break.  You need to change your network adapter settings in ESXI from VMXNET to e1000e from what I believe for it to work and need to use 1.04b bootloader.

As what flyride said I would create another test VM and try it first before you do it on your live one.

9 hours ago, bagheera said:

I managed to go from 6.1.7 to 6.2 with no problems at all on my ESXI 6.5

I replaced my existing bootloader in my datastore with the new 1.03b bootloader.  I fired up the VM and on a browser went to find.synology.com and it found it then it asked me if I wanted to migrate and I manually downloaded the 6.2 PAT file.  I used this one:  https://archive.synology.com/download/DSM/release/6.2/23739/DSM_DS3615xs_23739.pat.  Installed fine without any issues.

I've not updated to 6.2.1 as that will break.  You need to change your network adapter settings in ESXI from VMXNET to e1000e from what I believe for it to work and need to use 1.04b bootloader.

As what flyride said I would create another test VM and try it first before you do it on your live one.

Ok so i set up another VM as a test for the upgrading process as suggested, don't know why i didn't think of this before lol! Anyway, i get the test VM all set up and running using the same config as my main Xpenology server, i do as suggested and replace the bootloader with the 1.03b loader in the datastore and power on the VM and now i can't find it using find.synology.com or access it using the IP address it was assigned.

One thing i noticed was when booting up the VM the loading screen of the bootloader doesn't say "booting to kernel" anymore like it did on the older bootloader, is that the same for everyone or just me? 

5 minutes ago, Jord226 said:

Ok so i set up another VM as a test for the upgrading process as suggested, don't know why i didn't think of this before lol! Anyway, i get the test VM all set up and running using the same config as my main Xpenology server, i do as suggested and replace the bootloader with the 1.03b loader in the datastore and power on the VM and now i can't find it using find.synology.com or access it using the IP address it was assigned.

One thing i noticed was when booting up the VM the loading screen of the bootloader doesn't say "booting to kernel" anymore like it did on the older bootloader, is that the same for everyone or just me? 

Did it boot into the ESXI option?  On the grub file did you hash out the boot option lines that you don't need?

Edited by bagheera

30 minutes ago, bagheera said:

Did it boot into the ESXI option?  On the grub file did you hash out the boot option lines that you don't need?

Yep booted into the ESXI option. No I've not touched the grub file, is that a required step? If so how do i edit it?

5 hours ago, Jord226 said:

You need to change your network adapter settings in ESXI from VMXNET to e1000e

This part is true

5 hours ago, Jord226 said:

need to use 1.04b bootloader.

This part is not true. 1.03b/DS3615 works fine on 6.2.1 as long as you have the e1000e NIC set.

1 hour ago, flyride said:

This part is true

This part is not true. 1.03b/DS3615 works fine on 6.2.1 as long as you have the e1000e NIC set.

The network adapter could be my problem then, it's currently set to e1000 but i see no option to select e1000e anywhere. Having done a little reading it looks like it's a case of creating a new virtual NIC?

9 minutes ago, flyride said:

e1000e support is present in all versions of 6.2 AFAIK.  I think the issue may be the original VM type which should be "Other 3.x or later Linux (64-bit)" as this selection has a bearing on what virtualized hardware is available to be added to the VM.

I see that makes sense because when I created my VM it was created as FreeBSD 64bit, so that's probably why it isn't showing.

Is it possible to change it without starting again?

Ignore my last comment i found where those options were to change the guest OS and network adapter eventually lol. But I'm starting to lose the will to live with this, as soon as i change the bootloader to the 1.03b or the 1.04b on my test VM i can't connect to it again, find.synology.com won't find it and neither will the synology assistant. Is there something else I'm missing?

• 2 months later...

I have ESXI 6,5 Jun loader 1.02b and xpeno 6.1.7. Please step by step how to upgrade/change loader? Via cdrom? I download synoboot.img with 1.03b loader ds3615_6.2. I open in osfmount, change mac address in grub.cfg and I dont know how to change loader. I have on VM two SCSI hdd. Could you help me?

esxi.jpg

esxi2.jpg

Edited by misut22