XPEnology Community

Migrating from Synology to XPEnology - how?

Joe Bethersonton

Hi guys.

I decided to pull the trigger, and build a new XPEnology server., as my old DS411+II is starting to feel old and dated.

My new build will be a bare metal DSM with i5-8400, 8GB memory and Asrock H370M-ITX/ac motherboard. The hardware should arrive in the next few days.

I want to use the same drives in the new build, and keep my data.

Currently I have 2x 6TB + 2x 2TB in a SHR configuration. The old NAS is running DSM 6.2.1-23824 Update 1.

I guessing the new build need to run at least the same version of the DSM as the old NAS?

I'm thinking about running the 3617xs loader, but I am not sure which version I should use. I saw someone mention Jun's 1.04b, but in this list, 1.03b is the latest version.

The new build will be tested with a spare disk, and when I know how to configure everything, then I will want to move the old drives to the new build, but how should I do it?

As mentioned earlier, I run SHR on the old system, but SHR is not enabled be default as far as I know in 3617xs?

Any tips on how to proceed is much appreciated.

Can you back everything up to another disk? I wouldn't attempt it without a full backup..

It should work on same or newer - just moving the disks into your new box when you get it up and running - but, of course, there are no guarantees!

DS3617 should be enough but it really depends on what you want to do with it..

I'd put on the latest version and loader your hardware 'supports'..

I've a mix of DS3615, DS3617 and DS918+

DS918+ - Low power, always on - for cams and music storage. Also a drive for backups - but it's not great for spinning it down..

DS3615 main storage, movies etc. I'll probably move to DS3617 at some point. Not always on..

DS3617 for iSCSI storage for my test VSphere cluster.. Only occasionally on..

I'm afraid I don't have the option of doing a backup, as I don't have enough space anywhere else. I will however tale a backup of most vital data.

When I just add the disk to the new box, it will just detect the old build and "upgrade" the DSM to the new hardware?

I'm gonna be using it mainly for storage of movies and running Emby and Synology Drive. I will also be running a few containers in docker, and I was thinking always on.

7 minutes ago, mr9v9 said:

I am in the process of doing this today.

I will post my findings after the process is complete.

I did it a few days ago. I tested that I had a configuration that worked using a spare disk. Then I installed all the drives from my Synology, and I got the option to migrate. I did that, and it worked.

• Like 1

I do want to add that in my case I had a few custom packages that needed to be re-installed to "fix" them. I had a static IP set on the old Diskstation, and had to put it on DHCP so there were no conflicts on migration.

Also during the migration I used DSM_DS3617xs_23739.pat file to continue, then applied the update 2 pat file to get me back to where I was.  My IP and port rules all applied successfully as if it were the same unit. I did not even use my .dss configuration backup! It did retain my SHR RAID setup as well.

Very smooth operation and confirm @Joe Bethersonton that it does work and is simple.

Edited by mr9v9