XPEnology Community

Newbie a little confused on updating

rickym

I have my pc nas setup with DSM 6.2.1-23824 Update 1 and it's working great and I love it. My simple question is in the future if I want to update to a newer version what the procedure is? All my installs on different versions have been bare metal and since I am so happy with exactly what I have ended up with just curious so I don't screw something up and have to start from scratch next time I want to update. Can I just update through the web gui update and restore? Thanks in advance.

Edited by rickym

1. First, turn off autoupdate in DSM if you haven't done so already.
  2. If and when you see a version update you think you'd like to apply, check here for the EXACT version you're looking for.  As XPenology users upgrade, they will often post their experience, issues and resolutions.  Sometimes a new DSM will require a new loader, which may take awhile to create and test.  Sometimes the loader you are using still works with the new update, but not with all hardware or with specific workarounds.
  3. Many XPenology users maintain a test device (virtualization helps with this immensely) to help validate their personal configuration with an update before committing to their main system.
  4. As always, keep your stuff backed up somewhere else in case of a negative outcome.