XPEnology Community

Cheap "Out of the box" working Mobo+cpu como

suschmania

Hello xpenology forum ,

with pleasure i am using xpenology on an old HP Microserver N54L - everything is working!😃

Now for my parents i want to build another NAS with XPenology. As the N54L / Microservers are quite old i will go for a custom "Motherboard with CPU" combo.

The NAS will not do anything else than storing data as backup (with Cloud Station Server) and serving media files for a RaspberryPI. Only 2 HDDs should be installed in a Raid 1.

My question is: Which "out of the box" combination will work directly without adding drivers for NIC, Graphic etc.? As AMD is not officially supported i will use an Intel CPU. I was thinking about an ASRock N3150DC-ITX or the ASRock J3455-ITX (where 4 internal SATA connections are available for a future update option).

Otherwise i would go for a cheaper option like the Biostar J3060NH .

Thank you :)

Why not give your parents the N54L & build yourself a NAS that you can upgrade as & when required. The advantage of doing it this way is that the N54 has 5 drive bays available should you wish to use it as a backup destination for your own server.

30 minutes ago, Dfds said:

Why not give your parents the N54L

... to be honest i never thought about this version before but yes, in general this should be a very nice option, too! Then i think i will go for the ASRock J3455-ITX - does someone has this motherboard already  in use ?

2 hours ago, suschmania said:

... to be honest i never thought about this version before but yes, in general this should be a very nice option, too! Then i think i will go for the ASRock J3455-ITX - does someone has this motherboard already  in use ?

I believe there are several people using this board with 6.2 but there have been some issues getting hardware transcoding to work,. The J3455B-ITX version was been confirmed as working by user ideasman69, so maybe the better choice.