XPEnology Community

Install ipkg on DSM 5.0

GatekeeperZA

I had some issues getting ipkg installed on dsm 5.0 these are the steps I took.. :

http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optwa ... /unstable/

If you get the following while trying to get ipkg installed :

Backup your configuration settings, then type:

rm -rf /volume1/@optware

rm -rf /usr/lib/ipkg

This will remove all existing optware packages.

This only appears when you have already got existing @optware and ipkg folders.

It means you are trying to install the script over existing folders and it won't do it.

Issue the following commands in this order:

Type:

mount

If you see: /volume1/@optware on /opt type bind (bind) as the last line

Type :

umount /opt

Then type the following:

Type :

rm -rf /volume1/@optware

rm -rf /usr/lib/ipkg

now reboot the Diskstation.

Now start at the beginning of the instructions - as if you'd never typed a command to install ipkg).

1. Reboot your NAS.

2. Enable and then Login to the Command Line Interface as user "root", password is the same as for admin. (My note: You MUST be root and it is best you login over SSH - but telnet will work too)

3. Change to a directory such as "/volume1/@tmp", i.e. enter the command "cd /volume1/@tmp"

4. Get the NAS to download the bootstrap, e.g. if you have an mv6281 ARM model enter the command "wget http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optwa ... -7_arm.xsh", (Depending on your build)

5. Now run the .xsh script, (My change for DS110j >>>>>) e.g. enter the command "sh syno-mvkw-bootstrap_1.2-7_arm.xsh" (It's best you are IN the same directory as the file...)

6. After the script has finished you can delete the script file, e.g. "rm syno-mvkw-bootstrap_1.2-7_arm.xsh" (<<<<<<< DS110j instruction. No other "rm" commands)

7. Reboot the NAS and login again to the Command Line Interface as user "root" (<<<<< Note to REBOOT FIRST and login again - only then will @optware be linked).

8. Update the ipkg list of available packages using the command "ipkg update"

9. Upgrade any ipkg installed packages to the latest versions using the command "ipkg upgrade"

10. Finished, you can now install ipkg packages using the command "ipkg install xxxx" where xxxx is the name of the package. You can list all the available packages using the command "ipkg list". As this is a long list you can filter it using the command "ipkg list | grep xxxx" where xxxx is the text you want to search for. Alternatively, you view one page at a time using the "more" pipe, e.g. "ipkg list | more"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thank you for your tips !

Worked fine for my DSM.

Since I have a i5 CPU, I choosed this i686 package.

http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optwa ... 7_i686.xsh

At each reboot, IPKG is unavailable, so you have to edit 2 files. ( See the full tutorial here : http://sam.web.free.fr/blog/?p=1481#sth ... lwSJW.dpuf )

vi /etc/rc.local

You must edit that by adding after #!/bin/sh :

mount -o bind /volume1/@optware /opt

So press I and place the chariot at second line and paste this line.

Now the file looks like.

#!/bin/sh 
mount -o bind /volume1/@optware /opt 
# Optware setup 
[ -x /etc/rc.optware ] && /etc/rc.optware start 
exit 0

Then type Esc and !wq + Enter to save and quit.

The second file now :

vi /root/.profile

Press I and place the chariot just after the PATH=

Paste that :

/opt/bin:/opt/sbin:

So now the file looks like :

PATH=/opt/bin:/opt/sbin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/syno/sbin:/usr/syno/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin

To save and exit : press Esc then type !wq and Enter.

Now you have to reboot and IPKG works fully.

• 2 years later...

Hello,

Thread necro maybe, but i have successfully used this guide to install ipkg on my 5.2-5967.1 Xpenology.

The only thing i omitted was the rc.local file addition of "mount -o bind /volume1/@optware /opt" line and still i can use ipkg after each reboot.

Is there any particular reason for that ?

How necessary is this step ?