XPEnology Community

What to do when adding a new NIC ?

phguk

I've an HP G7 N54L running 1.02b bootloader and DSM 6.1.7-15284 Update 2 (DS3615xs) using the onboard NIC. I've since purchased an Intel 82575-T2 PCIe 1Gb dual port adapter which I'd like to add (and disable the onboard NIC). I am planning to 

1. Insert new NIC card and using the BIOS (a) disable the onboard NIC and (b) confirm the MAC(s) of the new NIC ports

2. Must I now edit grub.cfg to reflect I've now got two ports with updated MACs *before* I reboot [should I use force mode] ?

Have I missed anything else ?

Thanks in advance Paul

PS. I did try first posing this question by posting to an existing thread but didn't get any input. Thanks for reading !

1 - Should be fine, but you don't have to disable it, if I remember correct it will be "moved" to Eth2. (and if you update DSM it will be "lost" anyways ;-) )

2 - The dual port will become Eth0 and Eth1, and if you disabled the original Eth0, the new will "inherit" the MAC adress in grub.cfg.

(to make it "look better", you should edit the grub.cfg, adding all the MAC adresses you will be using.