XPEnology Community

Lowest power consumption mode waking up from browser?

Hi all

I've been searching around in this forum but could not find any answer about this topic. I've moved from Synology DS214se to Xpenology due to the inexistent support from Synology after my NAS broke 3 disks in almost 4 years.

I'm setting up an old Zotac ION mini-itx mobo with Intel Atom 330 + 4GB RAM. Everything is working well following this tutorial:

I've enabled disks hibernation and I tried usb hibernation and autopower off.

But my old DS214se was able to sleep, turning all lights off (except one blue) and no noise was coming out from it. When I was entering from browser in my NAS (browser trigger event), it was waking up and starting again (what I suppose it NOT a Wake on LAN trigger).

What I see now in this setup is that if I enable autopower off, the computer goes to power off mode and I need to use Wake on Lan (from Syno Assistant) to turn it on, but browser trigger event is not waking it up.

If I disable the autopower off mode, disks hibernate but CPU and PSU fans keep working, not sleeping. 

Could someone explain me the different power saving modes and how to achieve them? My target is to sleep but waking from browser call.

Have you tried a Community package called Advanced Power Manager yet? I use it on my DS216+II and it does exactly what I want on a schedule. It powers down and everything is off, it wakes up all by itself with a task trigger, unlike the built in tool which gets stuck on wake.

I just recently built an XPEnology build on bare metal to test this package, and will report back if it functions for me.

Edited by mr9v9

Hi @mr9v9

Thanks for your reply. I would like to avoid scheduled turn on/off, the idea is to replicate what my old Synology was doing, sleep CPU + PSU and wake it up when firing DSM in browser. It was kind of hibernating and now I'm not sure if this is the regular behaviour for everyone here in the forum or there is something I'm doing wrong (or my Mobo is not capable of). 

I've tried setting Wake on Lan in my Mobo, changing suspension mode from S1 to S3 and vice versa, setting correct Mac and serial number, etc and I could get Wake on Lan working only from Synology Assistant, but don't want to have another device in my network to be triggering waking up. Disks are going to sleep and automatic turn off take place, so to me it looks like it is not a problem with other packages running in background.

My assumption so far is that my motherboard is not achieving suspension because of its compatibility with Synology or it is not the expected behaviour in Synology.

Any help would be appreciated!! I just want my files back by replacing disks into Xpenology and trash my old DS214se

7 hours ago, Mathias said:

Hi @mr9v9

Thanks for your reply. I would like to avoid scheduled turn on/off, the idea is to replicate what my old Synology was doing, sleep CPU + PSU and wake it up when firing DSM in browser. It was kind of hibernating and now I'm not sure if this is the regular behaviour for everyone here in the forum or there is something I'm doing wrong (or my Mobo is not capable of). 

I've tried setting Wake on Lan in my Mobo, changing suspension mode from S1 to S3 and vice versa, setting correct Mac and serial number, etc and I could get Wake on Lan working only from Synology Assistant, but don't want to have another device in my network to be triggering waking up. Disks are going to sleep and automatic turn off take place, so to me it looks like it is not a problem with other packages running in background.

My assumption so far is that my motherboard is not achieving suspension because of its compatibility with Synology or it is not the expected behaviour in Synology.

Any help would be appreciated!! I just want my files back by replacing disks into Xpenology and trash my old DS214se

I understand what you are saying, could you try the package I mentioned and at least set the power off and power on times, and see if it both goes to sleep and then wakes up? That would help you to narrow down what setting could be the cause of the WOL issue.

I set my C states to C1E in BIOS and C6. Check your clock in BIOS and DSM to make sure they are on the same the same time. 

I can wake my device with both the package at any time and WOL using my Router to send the request.

Hi @mr9v9

Thanks for the info in the link, I'm not at home this weekend so I will test it most likely tomorrow.

Certainly many things to check before giving up, so appreciate all this info. What I don't really understand is why there is no main topic/thread about this in the forum, as it is such an important feature to have in a server. Maybe I will try to create a new thread with all this info (linking to your post and with kudos to you ofc)

Thanks again for the info!

10 minutes ago, Mathias said:

So I've been trying all what you wrote in your post @mr9v9

Time is in sync in bios and synology. Disks go to hibernation but still no system hibernation (no CPU + PSU sleep). So far, nothing is working.

Any help is appreciated! (thanks again!)

Would you care to list your XPEnology specs including your motherboard model? List your processor too.

Edited by mr9v9
Update

32 minutes ago, Mathias said:

Sure, I've listed it in the first post:

Zotac ION mini-itx mobo

Intel Atom 330 (integrated in motherboard)

4GB RAM

DSM 6.1.7-15284

Jun 1.02b loader

DS3617xs pat model used

So have you tried flashing the latest BIOS on that ION? I know I had to do it kind of weird for my own ZBox CI323.

The other thing that may make a difference is the bootloader. I use 1.03b and DSM 6.2 running a DS3617xs, and have heard some people don't use C-states on the older version because it might not work correctly, which in turn could just be an older instruction not getting passed to your motherboard.

Without the exact model number of the mobo it's hard to find the manual online to see what options it has specs wise.

I gotta be honest I don't think XPEnology has the option for 'Advanced HDD Hibernation' even on the latest bootloader. You can see an example in this video. I don't think it is part of your issue though. I am curious about it now though.

Last thought is to try and test another OS and make sure WOL actually functions because some motherboards / network controllers don't support WOL from the cold boot (S5 state, where the power to the system is physically turned off and back on again).

Edited by mr9v9

14 minutes ago, mr9v9 said:

So have you tried flashing the latest BIOS on that ION? I know I had to do it kind of weird for my own ZBox CI323.

The other thing that may make a difference is the bootloader. I use 1.03b and DSM 6.2 running a DS3617xs, and have heard some people don't use C-states on the older version because it might not work correctly, which in turn could just be an older instruction not getting passed to your motherboard.

Without the exact model number of the mobo it's hard to find the manual online to see what options it has specs wise.

I gotta be honest I don't think XPEnology has the option for 'Advanced HDD Hibernation' even on the latest bootloader. You can see an example in this video. I don't think it is part of your issue though.

Yeah, tomorrow will try with the BIOS flashing + loader and 6.2. Also I will post exact model from Zotac ION.

Do you have any tutorial that you followed to achieve 6.2 installation + loader with Suspend+WOL working?

Thank you again for your time!!

8 minutes ago, Mathias said:

Yeah, tomorrow will try with the BIOS flashing + loader and 6.2. Also I will post exact model from Zotac ION.

Do you have any tutorial that you followed to achieve 6.2 installation + loader with Suspend+WOL working?

Thank you again for your time!!

Sorry @Mathias I did a fresh install on my Server, if you don't care about any data on your current one I would follow this video. The files are buried in this forum if you get stuck let me know and I will post the links for them. You can also search around the posts, I have seen some users successfully upgrade their bootloader and DSM...I personally wouldn't do this from how tricky this already difficult setup is to get working.

Edited by mr9v9

I'm setting it up from scratch and testing if I can get it working for now in my old motherboard, so I don't care about my current disks data. I do care about those in my old NAS though xD

I will try with the video tomorrow, I guess it will be most likely changing the files, but the process itself will be mostly the same, so fast thing to try.

Thanks!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So basically after a long research, it looks like the Motherboard has a problem with display. I think the problem could come from Zotac ION Video card that is not working well with Xpenology. I'm close to buy a new motherboard (Asrock j4105-itx) as I saw a lot of people working fine with it. What I'm still worried about is that nobody is posting about hibernation and many people is asking about it. Such a shame having this lack of information about this feature.

• 1 year later...
On 10/28/2018 at 7:30 PM, Mathias said:

I'm setting up an old Zotac ION mini-itx mobo with Intel Atom 330 + 4GB RAM. Everything is working well following this tutorial:

Sorry Mathias, I Tried 1.02b, but nvidia lan seems to be not supported. Synology Assistant can't find my XPEnology... did you have the same problem?

Edited by maxime

Hi @maxime

It may be required to update the extras inside the usb image. I don't remember if that was mandatory or not, but certainly I had to do it for some of my installations. Check it out in the forum how to add extras to the usb image. It is not that hard.

Good luck!

1 minute ago, Mathias said:

Hi @maxime

It may be required to update the extras inside the usb image. I don't remember if that was mandatory or not, but certainly I had to do it for some of my installations. Check it out in the forum how to add extras to the usb image. It is not that hard.

Good luck!

the problem is that download link of extra for bootloader 1.02b (DS3617sx) is no longer working :-(