XPEnology Community

Cant Install Xpenology! Asus Workstation, PLEASE Help

giftmusic

Hi, I just built a custom server the specs are below. I can't seem to get Xpenology installed for the life of me. I tried the DSM 6.2 and got to the install page, but when I restarted it could not find my

system. It wouldn't even find an IP address. Then I tried installing 6.1 and I got to the install screen (found server IP no problem) but then I just would keep getting errors such as " we've detected errors on the hard drives (6), and the SATA ports have also been disabled. Please shutdown your DS3617xs to replace or remove the hard drives and try again. Anyone know how to get this to work? Thanks!

Asus P10S-WS

Intel Xeon CPU E3-1240 v6

8GB DDR4

2X Intel LAN ports

2X Solarflare 10GB SFP+ ports (I want to configure 10gbe)

4X 8TB Ironwolf NAS HDDs

512GB NVME SSD M.2 (for cache hopefully)

P.S. I added the VID, PID, and mac addresses of each port on NICs in the grub.cfg file

Thank you for this, but I guess I am having a hard time understanding how this all works. The extra.lzma file has the drivers in it? Do I copy that somewhere on the image? If so which .pat file do I use or does it matter? If you can make a video explaining these things or can help me get this working I would gladly pay you for your time. Thank you!

Edited by giftmusic

I tried to install. I did a clean install and it says "failed to install the file" the file is probably corrupted. (13) 

I did use a SN# for the 916+, not the 918+ since I couldn't find a sn# generator for 918+. It worked before though and I got past this point. Also, I am in Legacy boot mode. Any suggestions?

Edited by giftmusic

Try the following

Use the 6.1 loader for DS3615 'as is' and make no changes to SN/MAC, just edit grub.cfg to your correct USB vid/pid

If that works and you can install DSM fully, then check if your Solarflare card is working (unlikely) but get the PCI and loaded drivers list for info.

Create a new USB loader with the enhanced extra.lzma file, boot and see if the Solarflare works. If its based on a supported chipset included in the file then you are 'good to go', after you alter the SN/MAC to your settings.

The 6.2 loader is (imho) still evolving, especially the add on drivers, but you can try it as well. Testing with 6.1 will be a good way to get familiar with the whole XPE/DSM setup process.

Ok, I tried your exact instructions by only adding VID/PID and using 6.1 loader. When I open findsynology in my browser it won't even find an available NAS on the network. Which using 6.2 I was always able to find the NAS on the network. Any thoughts? As I said if someone could help give me some personal support I would gladly pay for their time. I spent a lot of money on this new server :( Thanks!

So I completely wiped the USB and drives using diskpart including any leftover partitions. I added the SN# and mac addresses of the 2 onboard Intel e1000 NIC cards, and added VID/PID

and installed and VOLLA! success! After I setup DSM though and I restarted it says "can not find the server" no luck any suggestions? This has to be stable before I put it into production.

OK WORKING! So I had to remove and replace one of the drives and wipe again (bad sectors), now everything works! Although I can't seem to get the 10gb share working, as you can see in the screenshots the Solarflare NIC card is being detected yay, I just don't know how to connect to it. I tried \\192.168.1.14\Shared Folder and no luck. Any suggestions? I am I missing something? Also, DSM is not detecting my nvme Samsung drive I want to use as cache. Any suggestions? Thanks!

image.png

10gb.JPG

Ok, so I remade the install USB (couldn't edit the original.... any way to edit the .iso after its burned? I added the mac addresses of the ports on the 10GBe card and worked great. I tried the jun driver update 4.8 by replacing the extra.lma file and after that I had no internet connection. Switched back to old extra.lma and worked right away.