XPEnology Community

Correct setup within grub.cfg for ESXi boot with LSI HBAs passed through

Benoire

I'm currently thinking about virtualising my server again as I've been using VMM and its pretty poor compared to ESXi.  I edited the grub.cfg to boot from ESXi effectively and created the vmdks.  The loader works and I can install DSM to the test drive I created, however it is shown starting at drive bay 9.  This appears to be because you have to boot the loader using SATA not parallel and so it counts any sata ports in ESXi as available.

My sataportmap config was set to 88 as that is currently what the baremetal is using the 2 LSI cards but I wonder if it should in fact be sataportmap = 088 as that would give the first controller 0 ports and then allow my SAS HBAs to take the first set of slots, would that work?  I'm in a test environment so can play around lots but would like to resolve this prior to the weekend.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/25/2018 at 9:57 PM, Benoire said:

My sataportmap config was set to 88 as that is currently what the baremetal is using the 2 LSI cards but I wonder if it should in fact be sataportmap = 088 as that would give the first controller 0 ports and then allow my SAS HBAs to take the first set of slots, would that work?  I'm in a test environment so can play around lots but would like to resolve this prior to the weekend.

I have one add in card (and two onboard controllers) so mine is set to 666..

I reckon yours should be something similar..

You may also need to tweak your config files, iusing Putty, if your drives are showing up as 'external'..

4 hours ago, MooseMan123 said:

I will be following this thread, as this information would be useful for me too. I just passed through a 9207-8i, and my drive is so far off the numbers it shows as an eSATA drive. What model card do you have?

OK.. Sorted it out.. I'll put the details here for completeness..

The 2 disks were showing up as eSATA drives - not much use, but at least it's a step forward..

To get them to show up as normal SATA drives, I needed to do the following..

used vi to edit the following two files;

etc/synoconf.conf

and

etc.defaults/synoconf.conf

Change the same 3 lines in each file to;

internalportcfg="0x3FFFFFF"
usbportcfg="0xFF00000000"
esataportcfg="0x0"

(They're all down near the bottom..)

When I rebooted the Syno box, I had lots of disks (including the 50MB boot disk)..

eSATA were now gone and moved to normal SATA. 

For info, my sataportmap was "666" in grub.cfg

Pasting one of my previous posts here - should sort you out!

#H

• Thanks 1