XPEnology Community

N54L - upgrade from DSM 6.1.7 to 6.2.1?

manples

• 3 weeks later...

Dear user,

I made some experience in case of chnge from DSM 6.1.7 to DSM6.2 and I hope sombody can help:

HP N54L, USB3.0 card installed, ethernet card installed, 4GB RAM, 4 HDs connected to the hot swap interface and one HD connected to the fifth sata cable - all works fine if I start the N54L with a inux live system.

DSM 6.2-23739, Jun's bootloader 1.03b, VID and PID update, 3 MAC adresses in the script.

Now I restart the N54L with the installed DSM 6.2-23739 and the system works fine but with limitations:

- installation no problem

- MAC1 to MACX and VID/PID wrote into the Synoboot.img

- shut down works, the N54L stopt

- automatical shut down and restart works

- USB3.0 will not work

- fifth HD will not work

- the system works stable

- WOL works fine

Is everybode able to explain me why some parts/services will not work?

If I install DSM 6.2.1 the shut down and restart will not work even longer the other funktions are the same.

Best wishes from cold Germany

1 hour ago, agustaf said:

Dear user,

I made some experience in case of chnge from DSM 6.1.7 to DSM6.2 and I hope sombody can help:

HP N54L, USB3.0 card installed, ethernet card installed, 4GB RAM, 4 HDs connected to the hot swap interface and one HD connected to the fifth sata cable - all works fine if I start the N54L with a inux live system.

DSM 6.2-23739, Jun's bootloader 1.03b, VID and PID update, 3 MAC adresses in the script.

Now I restart the N54L with the installed DSM 6.2-23739 and the system works fine but with limitations:

- installation no problem

- MAC1 to MACX and VID/PID wrote into the Synoboot.img

- shut down works, the N54L stopt

- automatical shut down and restart works

- USB3.0 will not work

- fifth HD will not work

- the system works stable

- WOL works fine

If I install DSM 6.2.1 the shut down and restart will not work even longer the other funktions are the same.

Best wishes from cold Germany

About the USB 3.0  like Jun inform in the 6.2.1 version. Non official pcie device drivers will not works. These reason is because it's necessary to use a Intel NIC for example if you would like to use version 6.2.1

About the Fifth HD check in the BIOS if you have configured that HD like AHCI I think.

1 hour ago, agustaf said:

If you install 6.2.1 you must disable your internal NIC to have this working.

Edit:

As mentioned, for the USB 3.0 to work, you will need to search for a new card, with "native" support in DSM 6.2.x

Edited by bearcat

• 3 weeks later...
Le 13/01/2019 à 17:43, bearcat a dit :

@XbladeX From earlier experience with a problem like that:

try these steps:

Activate the SSH service in DSM (if not active)
Connect to your NAS with an SSH client (e.g. putty) (or from Win 10, open a cmd window, run : ssh admin@my.nas.ip (replace with the actual IP)
Enter your credentials (user: admin)
Change folder to root (cd /)
Delete the xpenoboot folder (sudo rm -r .xpenoboot)
If the SSH service keeps stopping, you have to be quick.

Hello @bearcat,

would you mind explaining what this does and why it works ?

Not impacted by this problem, just wanna understand how/why it helps :)

To all,

Is it still possible to manually compile drivers for specific NIC / usb cards like some coding guru used to do here ?

I guess not, otherwise nobody would be buying intel based NIC off ebay/amazon to upgrade their DSM...

Edited by chleb

13 hours ago, chleb said:

Hello @bearcat,

would you mind explaining what this does and why it works ?

Not impacted by this problem, just wanna understand how/why it helps :)

To all,

Is it still possible to manually compile drivers for specific NIC / usb cards like some coding guru used to do here ?

I guess not, otherwise nobody would be buying intel based NIC off ebay/amazon to upgrade their DSM...

Synology is who avoid the manually drivers compilations in his OS.

@chleb As it says, it deletes a folder, called "xpenoboot" (with the files within).

This folder are remains from a previously used bootloader, and the files within are making a conflict with the new bootloader and files.

With a fresh install, it will not be a problem at all, since the folder/files do not exist, but an update will leave some folders/files and may generate problems.

• 1 year later...

I started the same with N54L full of data and DSM 6.1.7-15284 (Jun's loader v1.02b - DS3615xs) and i've read a lot about upgrading to 6.2.2. I know then it will not work with onboard NIC. But now DSM 6.2.3 is out and it is not necessary to change the NIC. The onboard one will work fine without external drivers.

So i made a new USB Stick with Juns v1.03b - DS 3615xs, booted and found the NAS migratable in the Assistant. I selected to keep my files and installed the newest 6.2.3.pat (DSM_DS3615xs_25423.pat). I made a reboot and waited, aber 10 min i thought i bricked it, nothing happened. BUT THEN after 13 - 15 Minutes, it showed up in Assistant with a new IP (DCHP) and Status: finished!

Everything worked fine! In the DSM a couple of apps need to repair but now all data is there and everything worked finde.

Thanks to the forum!

Anmerkung 2020-04-26 215806.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/26/2020 at 10:03 PM, lamber said:

I started the same with N54L full of data and DSM 6.1.7-15284 (Jun's loader v1.02b - DS3615xs) and i've read a lot about upgrading to 6.2.2. I know then it will not work with onboard NIC. But now DSM 6.2.3 is out and it is not necessary to change the NIC. The onboard one will work fine without external drivers.

So i made a new USB Stick with Juns v1.03b - DS 3615xs, booted and found the NAS migratable in the Assistant. I selected to keep my files and installed the newest 6.2.3.pat (DSM_DS3615xs_25423.pat). I made a reboot and waited, aber 10 min i thought i bricked it, nothing happened. BUT THEN after 13 - 15 Minutes, it showed up in Assistant with a new IP (DCHP) and Status: finished!

Everything worked fine! In the DSM a couple of apps need to repair but now all data is there and everything worked finde.

Thanks to the forum!

That is a good news! we hope that Synology not change again the kernel to avoid to use not  official drivers.

Le 26/04/2020 à 22:03, lamber a dit :

Thanks to the forum!

Hello,

That's some great news !!!

What was the BIOS installed on your N54L when you performed this operation?

Did anyone else succeed to upgrade from 6.1.7 to 6.2.3 with the original hardware?

Thank you in advance.

• 1 month later...
On 4/27/2020 at 6:03 AM, lamber said:

Thanks to the forum!

Ditto scenario. I was holding back on DSM 6.1.7U3 for sometimes as there was a lot of addon solution going around for 6.2.2 to work on baremetal as Synology changed the kernel with limited driver support. One being adding an Intel NIC from the DSM supported device ID and disable the onboard NIC. Other being adding driver extensions on Jun’s loader for the onboard NIC to work. The former being the most viable option for my N54L but then I would have lost my shared iLO remote management over my HP Gen8 server was not ideal. I was ready to bite the bullet and go with the Intel NIC (Intel EXPI9301CT with supported device ID#10D3) on my N54L.

Then came DSM 6.2.3 with full-fledged kernel with native support for onboard NIC. Gave it a swing on my Gen8 with Jun’s loader 1.3 and updated straight to 6.2.3 from 6.1.7 – all good so far.

As I can understand with 6.2.3; I don’t have to add the Intel NIC or neither to add driver extensions (extra.lzma) in the loader in case of onboard. Actually some having trouble updating from 6.2.2 to 6.2.3 is because of those extra images in the same USB loader. Best to burn a new USB with PID/VID and MAC address and then go about the update. Worthy to note that you can reactivate your onboard NIC too.

Some facts to note for HP Gen7(N54L) and Gen8 owners updating 6.2.3 as of now:

Have to stick to Jun’s loader 1.03 DS3615/17 image . There is no second thoughts about it. The CPU’s are too old to accept loader 1.4 Period.

If you are updating from baremetal 6.1.7 (stock H/W with native drivers) then simply update to loader 1.03

If updating from 6.2.2 with intel NIC (without extra lzma) – burn a new USB with loader 1.03 – after update will have the option to use the onboard NIC if needed. (disable/remove the unused NICs)

If updating from 6.2.2 with onboard NIC (with extra lzma) – burn a new USB with loader 1.03 without the need of any extra.lzma. the native lzma in the loader is good enough.  

Would recommend to do a trial first with burning a fresh loader on a separate USB then disconnect all your production HDDs, add a blank disk any size or shape and go through a fresh install your existing DSM version then update to desired ver. A complete full cycle test 😉

• 8 months later...
On 3/4/2019 at 10:16 AM, agustaf said:

- fifth HD will not work

Hi,

nearly same for me. Was on 6.1.7. Fresh new install 6.2.3 Update 3 with June 1.03.

6 HDs (BIOS Mod+C1), all AHCI configured.

But if it comes to write access to ata5, I get a strange error and the drives ata5 and ata6 stalles:

"ata5.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x2000000 SErr 0x0 action 0x0"

little time later also ata6

If I only use MiniSAS with 4 HDs and internal SATA, everything works great.

As soon as I use eSATA, the system becomes instable.

It was running several years with all 6 HDs on 6.1.7 - but something changed with 6.2.3 Update 6.

Are all discs running in you system in the meanime?

11 hours ago, bearcat said:

What BIOS are you using, and how is your HDD/Sata ctrl. related settings?

I'm using "O41100113.ROM" mod.

Bios Setting are:

C1E Support: disabled
Atheros NIC: disabled (using Intel 360T)

InChipNIC: disabled

AHCI Bios Support: enabled

SATA Controller mode: AHCI

Embedded SATA Link Rate: 3.0gbps max

Drive Write Cache: disabled

OnChip SATA Channel: enabled

OnChip IDE Type: IDE

SATA IDE Combined Mode: disabled

SATA ESP on all PORT: disabled (don't want HotPlug)

SATA Power on all Port: enabled

Anything missing?

This config works fine with 6.1.7. All 6 discs were found and useable.

In 6.2.3 Update 3 alle 6 discs are also found. But as soon as there is a write access to ata5, the system starts to fail.

Additinal info: I tested with Linux Boot: as read only mount ata5 works withous any problems. Seems like only writing makes troubles...

Edited by Friese

1 hour ago, Friese said:

I'm using "O41100113.ROM" mod.

That's the thing ... the "O41100113.ROM" is the name of an original BIOS, and there are many different versions of the modificated version.

I personally use "TheBay" on all the G7's MicroServers I have been setting up, and it have never "failed me".

If I have the chance tomorrow, I will do a controlled reboot, and look at the BIOS setting in one of mine,

but the "OnChip IDE Type: IDE" sounds "unknown" (but again, its been a long time since the last time I set it up).

Have you tried checking/replacing the eSata-Sata cabel/adapter your using ?

As it sounds like a disk-timeout, sometimes caused by bad cables.

Edit: "as soon as there is a write access to ata5" I'm sure that is a typo, and that you meant Sata5 ?

Edited by bearcat

18 minutes ago, bearcat said:

That's the thing ... the "O41100113.ROM" is the name of an original BIOS, and there are many different versions of the modificated version.

I personally use "TheBay" on all the G7's MicroServers I have been setting up, and it have never "failed me".

Thank you so much for your fast response.

I'm using this one from "kamzata":

https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-HP-Proliant-Microserver-AMI-BIOS-MOD?page=5

(think a found it also under the name "Tobi Oo's version")

Will have a look into you bios mod version.

No didn't try another cable. Will do as soon as possible.

And yes, _s_ata5, sry.

Looking forward for your settings.

Edited by Friese