XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install DSM 6.2 on HP Mediasmart EX485 or EX490

jadehawk

On 2/26/2021 at 7:33 AM, reDDevil said:

Hello again! Is is possible to make HDD led lights work under DSM on EX485/490?

As far as I know, the answer is NO. The lights where controlled by a driver that was provided by HP and was included with the WHS version of the HP Mediaserver.

Writing speed is also bad while it is 6x faster than read - 2Mb/s. Anyone with ex485/490 has same problem? A friend of mine with absolutely same HP EX485 installed DSM same date as me and he got the same problem of very slow speeds. Moreover he has the original Synology in his network which is much faster. I have Buffalo NAS and it is fast as well as it should. Something inside DSM or problems with the drivers I think. It is even not possible to stream any video from Plex with such speeds. Any suggestion what to do / test? The benchmark of HDD inside DSM takes a lot of time to test (about 10 minutes) and shows at the end:  172iops / 103 MB/s / 12.8ms

I am sorry. My previous test was wrong through old Wi-Fi. Made a new one on the computer connected to my 1Gbe network. Read speed is around 6MB (which is also shown in DSM monitoring). The downloading file of 720Mb from NAS to desktop takes 2 minutes :( 

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Franka64 said:

the speeds I read are between 31 to 45 MB/s upload

And between 20 to 33 MB/s download.

thats pretty slow, any hardware thats not older then 10 years should be able to use the full bandwidth in xpenology, thats "just" ~110MB/s and most disks sould be able to deliver that when writing large files

don't bother about reDDevil, he opened lots of threads about his problem, got help and found out that a mtu of 2000 instead of the 1500 default solved his problem but the reason is unknown and he might going to find out what the cause is that makes a wrong mtu size working better

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have the latest dsm working great on my EX495. I realize the hard drive lights don't turn on but noticed though everything is working perfect the health light is pulsing red and blue. Is that normal when running xpenology on the Ex495. Not a big deal but annoying.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

someone had asked why cant they boot their device, so theres a trick. All drives have to be removed... and pay attention to the flashing lights on the device if its flashing purple you can boot or login to synology if the lights flash blue it means no good. so with all drives removed wait until flashing orange light dissapears and roughly a few seconds after you put in the bottom disk first and proceed to load the rest once your logged into dsm your array will appear.

took me 20 minutes of figuring this out after the server has been offline for 6 years now. the mediasmart server does hang and freeze up a lot..

Edited by djelusion