XPEnology Community

NVMe cache support

advin

4 минуты назад, The Chief сказал:

It seems to me a strange thing, mystifying…

It's not anymore. You've patched NEW type .so with an OLD .sh patch. Restore original .so (md1sum e67711740b869bbd27349f56183870c26b2b5a01) and patch it with updated patch.

• 3 weeks later...

My NAS 918+ worked perfectly with the latest update: 6.2.3-25426 

I added an SSD drive (Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 - 250GB) to use as a read cache in the system.

I inserted the file (libsynonvme.so.1) what was provided here into the /usr/lib64 directory.

The UI stopped working. I initiated a reset. The machine booted (I can SSH into it ), but the web UI still not works. Additionally, when I use the Synology Assistant, it reports "Checking Quota" for the NAS. 

How long should I have to wait for the "Checking Quota" to finish?
Is there anything I can do?
Did I do anything wrong?

Edited by J0hnny
update: After 2hours the Synology Assistant reports "Ready" for the NAS. But the web UI still not works, but I can still login with SSH. DS file also not let me in.

2 hours ago, J0hnny said:

My NAS 918+ worked perfectly with the latest update: 6.2.3-25426 

I added an SSD drive (Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 - 250GB) to use as a read cache in the system.

I inserted the file (libsynonvme.so.1) what was provided here into the /usr/lib64 directory.

The UI stopped working. I initiated a reset. The machine booted (I can SSH into it ), but the web UI still not works. Additionally, when I use the Synology Assistant, it reports "Checking Quota" for the NAS. 

How long should I have to wait for the "Checking Quota" to finish?
Is there anything I can do?
Did I do anything wrong?

Update: I was able to fix the issue by set the file permission of "777" for libsynonvme.so.1
Now the UI is working again 

• 3 weeks later...

When look at var/log/messages my logs seems filled with

2020-09-01T15:00:13+02:00 DiskStation SystemInfo.cgi: nvme_cmd_raw_binary_get.c:54 fread failed
2020-09-01T15:00:13+02:00 DiskStation SystemInfo.cgi: nvme_temperature_get.c:24 Can't get the smart-log raw binary
2020-09-01T15:00:32+02:00 DiskStation synostoraged: nvme_cmd_raw_binary_get.c:54 fread failed
2020-09-01T15:00:32+02:00 DiskStation synostoraged: nvme_temperature_get.c:24 Can't get the smart-log raw binary

Any ideas how to fix this?

New install and am running juns 1.04b loader and DSM 6.2.3 25426 PAT file.

I have an Optane p800 m2 installed on the PCIE x2 m2 slot in a Supermicro A2SDi-H-TF mobo (its on the 918 supported list), it shows in bios but not in DSM, or even ssh'ing and running 'nvme list'.

I tried the libsynonvme.so.1 in /usr/lib64 and reboot but still no change.

Can anyone help with suggestions to try ?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I am running Jun's 1.04b loader and DSM 6.2.2-24922 update 3

I attempted to follow the thread and didn't run any of the libNVMEpatch.sh and just placed the libsynonvme.so.1 file into the /usr/lib64 directory. 

I also made sure to chmod the file to 777. My DSM stopped web gui stopped working and so I reboot via SSH. 

Upon booting back up, the Synology Web Assistant is telling me my NAS is migratable and wants me to reload DSM... 

Did I do the steps incorrectly? Is my old configuration completely lost? 

Thanks for any help I can get. 😃 

• 2 months later...
On 4/17/2020 at 4:01 PM, The Chief said:

Minor changes. Dev Guys now do some more strict PHYSDEV parsing. Nothing special.

libNVMEpatch.sh 2.14 kB · 236 downloads

Just a recap for those who'll want to try NVMe cache because all the thread is quite messy imho. 

The above shell script with DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 2 (on DS918+ , indeed) does not work anymore. At least in my experience it leads in an incorrect state where the two NVMe are not recognised as the same and therefore they cannot be used for a necessary RAID 1 in case of R/W cache. 

The only thing is really working at the moment is a copy of the libsynonvme.so.1 to the right path. So put this file in a public zone of your volume (this is my case) or wherever you like and then with root's privileges (sudo -i) put the lib in the right place: 

cp /volume1/public/libsynonvme.so.1 /usr/lib64
cd /usr/lib64
chmod 777  libsynonvme.so.1
shutdown -r now

and that's it. The Storage Manager should recognise correctly yours NVMe's and use them as cache. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Angry 1

First time building a Xpenology system so it took me a while to learn all this new stuff. The following worked for me.

cd /usr/lib64

shutdown -r now

Thanks flyride & The Chief for all the hard work, also thanks Hackaro for the simple recap.

Le 24/11/2020 à 12:14, Hackaro a dit :

The only thing is really working at the moment is a copy of the libsynonvme.so.1 to the right path. So put this file in a public zone of your volume (this is my case) or wherever you like and then with root's privileges (sudo -i) put the lib in the right place: 

cd /usr/lib64
shutdown -r now

Hi all,

I just did this and manage to have my ssd availble on DSM. But since the system is very slow. If I want to get back to the origin, should I just delete the file libsynonvme.so.1 or does this file was already present and the operation was a replacement of an original file?

Thanks for your help.

On 11/27/2020 at 9:43 PM, Goby said:

Hi all,

I just did this and manage to have my ssd availble on DSM. But since the system is very slow. If I want to get back to the origin, should I just delete the file libsynonvme.so.1 or does this file was already present and the operation was a replacement of an original file?

Thanks for your help.

Uhm... why should it become slow? Maybe it needs a bit of time for the cache to just "caching" all your files . I suggest to use the NAS for some days and then decide. Problem is that as you copied the file, in case something is wrong if you haven't done a backup of it you cannot have it back. 

• 3 weeks later...
Цитата

Why /usr/lib64 ?

One should place it in /lib64 or GUI will hang
as it was already said in this topic  

В 28.04.2020 в 09:32, indiandave сказал:

after you place the file into /usr/lib64 director, the DSM UI will stop working so you have to hard restart the machine

Edited by Outrullers

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2020 at 9:31 AM, venno said:

Just found the section by IG88 on the 918 extra files mod to boot drive, works like a charm, posted too quick for help.

Hi @venno

I am using DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 3 (on DS918+) and I have Intel SSD Pro 6000p Series 256GB, M.2 PCIe 3.0 SSD which is installed on motherboard's SSD slot (IBM branded mobo). The SSD appears in BIOS but for doesn't appear in DSM. I even ran the nvme list command but doesn't show anything. 

Can you please share the link to mod that you have applied to get this SSD to work

Many thanks

me@mymachine:/$ nvme list
Node             SN                   Model                                    Namespace Usage                      Format           FW Rev  
---------------- -------------------- ---------------------------------------- --------- -------------------------- ---------------- --------
/dev/nvme0n1                                                                   -1          0.00   B /   0.00   B      1   B +  0 B   
/dev/nvme0n1p1                                                                 -1          0.00   B /   0.00   B      1   B +  0 B   
/dev/nvme0n1p2                                                                 -1          0.00   B /   0.00   B      1   B +  0 B   
/dev/nvme0n1p3                                                                 -1          0.00   B /   0.00   B      1   B +  0 B   
/dev/nvme0n1p4                                                                 -1          0.00   B /   0.00   B      1   B +  0 B   

17 hours ago, peter_pan said:

Hi @venno

I am using DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 3 (on DS918+) and I have Intel SSD Pro 6000p Series 256GB, M.2 PCIe 3.0 SSD which is installed on motherboard's SSD slot (IBM branded mobo). The SSD appears in BIOS but for doesn't appear in DSM. I even ran the nvme list command but doesn't show anything. 

Can you please share the link to mod that you have applied to get this SSD to work

I have found IG-88's thread but there are multiple links and I am struggling to understand which one to use.

Can some one please help

Edited by peter_pan

Does anyone have an idea as to why all the libsynonvme.so.1 files have been deleted?

I've tried to create the libNVMEpatch.sh file using the script provided a few pages back but i get this error

-ash: ./libNVMEpatch.sh: /bin/ash^M: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

Got the file, Wasn't logged in...😛

Edited by Jaazzz
Spelling

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/18/2020 at 6:35 PM, The Chief said:

Patched .so.1 — try to directly replace it in /lib64. 

libsynonvme.so.1 36.76 kB · 330 downloads

Hi, I'v pathed libsynonvme.so.1 . But I found that only nvme ssd on the M2A slot can be recognized. So how can I use the M2Q slot?

My hardware info:

CPU i39100

Motherboard GIGABYTE b365m aorus elite.

SSD WD SN750 1T

I checked the manual of motherboard, it is said that M2Q slot is connected directly to CPU while M2A slot shares bandwidth with SATA3.0 slot

@flyride I have a strange behaviour since I have changed the NVMe disk's brand and updated to new Samsung 970 EVO+: thinks are working correctly in DSM as you can see

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nwrfvwdss87zymj/Screenshot 2021-02-02 at 10.46.13.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fcb8mlzeohwb4bf/Screenshot 2021-02-02 at 10.47.02.png?dl=0

but I don't have the correct list in Terminal:

Root@NAS:~$ synonvme --is-nvme-ssd /dev/nvme0n1
It is a NVMe SSD

Root@NAS:~$ nvme list
Node             SN                   Model                                    Namespace Usage                      Format           FW Rev  
---------------- -------------------- ---------------------------------------- --------- -------------------------- ---------------- --------
/dev/nvme0n1                                                                   -1          0.00   B /   0.00   B      1   B +  0 B   
/dev/nvme0n1p1                                                                 -1          0.00   B /   0.00   B      1   B +  0 B   
/dev/nvme1n1                                                                   -1          0.00   B /   0.00   B      1   B +  0 B   
/dev/nvme1n1p1                                                                 -1          0.00   B /   0.00   B      1   B +  0 B   

Root@NAS:~$ synonvme --model-get /dev/nvme0n1
Fail to get disk model

970EVO+ are in Synology support list, even if with a different firmware. So what should I do about it? Thanks in advance!

Edited by Hackaro