XPEnology Community

Dell OptiPlex 7010 USFF - Problems with 6.2

Joe Bethersonton

I was given a Dell OptiPlex 7010 USFF. (i3-3220 (Ivy Bridge), 4GB memory, Intel NIC)

It runs baremetal 3617xs with 6.1.4 perfectly. I'm trying to install 6.2, but I can't get it working.

The user flyride shared a spreadsheet with configurations that should work. I use the 1.03b bootloader, and disabled the uefi option, so I only boot in legacy mode.

The loader boots, and Synology Assistant can find the NAS, but I get the classic "Failed to install the file. The file is probably corrupted. (13)" error.

With the ds3615xs loader I have tried the following combinations of SN and MAC:

• SN and MAC provided with the loader
  • Generated SN and generated MAC
  • SN and MAC from a real Synology device.
  • SN from a real Synology device, and the OptiPlex's own MAC.

I have tried with both 6.2.23739 and 6.2.23824.

Every time I get that 13-error.

Any tips on how to fix this?

I am currently considering buying new hardware for a build, but I want to get some experience with XPEnology first. If I can't get this working I might end up buying another Synology device, although I would prefer some more powerful hardware.

5 hours ago, michel30 said:

did you have the latest bios on your dell computer? 

I used the 1.03b loader and I installed DSM 6.2-23739 update 2 my dell is Optiplex 790

And try a different usb stick 

I am not sure to be honest. I can try and download another one.

I will try and see if I can find another brand USB stick. I have five identical ones that I switch between.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anybody know a step by step guide how to upgrade? I am on 1.02.a & DSM 6.1 and want to upgrade to 1.03b and 6.2.

Figured I have to create a new boot stick with 1.03b at first, and boot up the system with it...can I than just click the update button in DSM and the procedure runs by it's own?

Edited by TNa681

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/28/2019 at 9:43 PM, TNa681 said:

Does anybody know a step by step guide how to upgrade? I am on 1.02.a & DSM 6.1 and want to upgrade to 1.03b and 6.2.

Figured I have to create a new boot stick with 1.03b at first, and boot up the system with it...can I than just click the update button in DSM and the procedure runs by it's own?

Just plug new USB stick and follow on-screen instructions. It may propose you migration to new hardware. I did it with ds3615xs to ds918+ in a same way.

Hey @TomHC thanks a lot for your reply! 

To be honest, since I am planning to use my NAS as a TV recorder by using a USB DVB-C TVButler I changed my plan. As I read somewhere that it wouldn’t be compatible anymore with DSM 6.2, I decided to skip to update having the hope it works with 6.1.

Edited by TNa681