XPEnology Community

Tutorial/Reference: 6.x Loaders and Platforms

flyride

The purpose of this thread is to help with the selection of a loader (based on its supported DSM versions) and a DSM platform (based on its feature and hardware support).

Can you give an explanation or example of what could be communicated by your request?  I'm not sure what to report.

ESXi is just a hardware spec like the many bare metal choices. All the 6.x loaders support baremetal or ESXi boot menu option. AFAIK the only difference between selecting a baremetal or ESXi option is to affect how the loader tries to hide the VID/PID of the boot device, which is cosmetic only.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2020 at 7:40 AM, Akhlan said:

Thanks ;)

where have you find this information ??? I have passed one hour without find :D

So, this adpater is compatible with the loader v1.04 and my mother board (ASRock FM2A85X-ITX) without modification of the loader ?

Boot Your nas with linux bootable (ubuntu or whatever) and get the vid and pid and match it in the excel sheet with the dsm you want to use.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. I tried my new test configuration with xpenology as WM in Proxmox. For my needs I got double socket mainboard and xeons for use: 2x e5 2640v3 and 1x e5 2673v3 + 6x6tb drives and I would like to connect around 2 more to it. Soon I will install it to use it as stable virtual machine. Which loader and platform would You recommend to create as a xpenology VM? I tried luckily with Loader 1.03b and DS3617/DS3615 but what about 1.04b + DS918- does it support more than 4 drives and is possible to use NVme cache if it will be VM by pcie adapter?

Edited by ruffpl

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I've been trying to get the bootloader (1.03b) from Jun to boot on my pc but it doesn't get past the "wait one minute while this loads" screen.

I have tried a couple of bootloaders and the same result.

Bios settings have been changed to compatibility and back to defaults but still no joy.

I have also watched a few youtube videos but they all get past the screen that I don't.

Should I try a vmware installation on this box?

intel i3 

8Gb ram

Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

So you can not run 918+ even in ESXi if your CPU is not haswell+ ? Im on HP Microserver G8 with E3-1265L with ESXi 6.7U3 .
Maybe with some extra drivers or something? Anyone know? Because I would like to use /dev/dri since this CPU has video acceleration.

https://n40l.fandom.com/wiki/Cpu_gen8

max. ivy bridge cpu's aka 3rd gen cpus and 4th in min. for 918+

i do have a working nvidia driver in testing but not enough time to compile and test a new ffmpeg supporting this or try docker jellyfin with nvidia support (i have no plex pass license)

maybe in a few day's/weeks there might be hardware transcoding support for 3615/17 with nvidia gpu's

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/30132-hp-microserver-gen8-hardware-and-software-acceleration-help/?do=findComment&comment=150482

• 2 weeks later...

With a Haswell CPU (i5 4670K that might upgrade to i7 later) and H97 chipset (latter Z97) and a LSI 9207  HBA would there be any issues to do my build for the 1.04/918+ over 1.03/3617? Would I actually benefit anything from the 4.4 or just buy myself potential issues?
Note I will not be using any video encoding, just wants the most up to date DSM and performance for the hardware.

If you want NVMe cache capability (or hardware transcoding), you need 1.04b/DS918+

If you want 16-thread capability or RAID F1 you need 1.03b/DS3617xs.  It also has better base support for HBA's but extra.lzma updates extend that capability to DS918+.

This information is prominently featured in post #1 of this thread.

FWIW, DSM is otherwise the same version, the underlying kernel version is functionally irrelevant.

5 minutes ago, flyride said:

If you want NVMe cache capability (or hardware transcoding), you need 1.04b/DS918+

If you want 16-thread capability or RAID F1 you need 1.03b/DS3617xs.  It also has better base support for HBA's but extra.lzma updates extend that capability to DS918+.

This information is prominently featured in post #1 of this thread.

FWIW, DSM is otherwise the same version, the underlying kernel version is functionally irrelevant.

I think you just answered all I wanted/needed to know with one short message there ;)
1.03b/DS3617xs it is!

• 5 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I am wondering if I am missing something here.

I see the 3615xs is supposed to support 8 threads max.

I have a ESXi 6.7 and I configured my XPenology VM with 1 CPU with 4 threads (just FYI, my physical CPU is i5 4200U, 2xcores, 4xthreads).

On my XPenology 3615xs under 6.2.3, I can see the 4 threads:

# cat /proc/cpuinfo |grep processor
processor       : 0
processor       : 1
processor       : 2
processor       : 3

But in the /var/log/kern.log I see those messages:

2020-11-12T21:05:36+01:00 supernas kernel: [184583.879598] CPU count larger than MAX_CPU 2: 2
2020-11-12T21:06:36+01:00 supernas kernel: [184643.986544] CPU count larger than MAX_CPU 2: 2
2020-11-12T21:06:36+01:00 supernas kernel: [184643.986547] CPU count larger than MAX_CPU 2: 2
2020-11-12T21:07:37+01:00 supernas kernel: [184704.091052] CPU count larger than MAX_CPU 2: 2

I am wondering if this indicates that the kernel wouldn't use more than 2 CPUs (or 2 threads in this case) ?

From this article: https://www.thegeekdiary.com/how-to-enable-disable-cpus-limiting-cpu-count-in-centos-rhel/

They explain it exists a grub option to override the number of max CPUs, but I didn't find this parameter in the Jun loader grub.conf

Do you guys know whether or not my VM can use more than 2 threads ? Is this kern.log message can be ignored ?

3 hours ago, revola said:

I have a ESXi 6.7 and I configured my XPenology VM with 1 CPU with 4 threads (just FYI, my physical CPU is i5 4200U, 2xcores, 4xthreads).

afaik esxi does its own thing from what you define in the vm's config about hte cpu's sockets and cores per socket

your 1:4  is 4 cpu cores and might be converted to 2:2 from esxi hypervisor and thats what your vm makes available to dsm's kernel

the result is the same 4 core's but not in one cpu but two

i guess in that case there is not ht as esxi does present cpu sockets and cores, the ht thing would happen on hosts hypervisor level

edit: about the kernel max.

the kernel config published by synology for building things does have 8

# CONFIG_MAXSMP is not set
CONFIG_NR_CPUS=8
CONFIG_SCHED_SMT=y
CONFIG_SCHED_MC=y
CONFIG_PREEMPT_NONE=y

i personally never put that to a test or looked into that in the log, i just took what was published in the kernel config as the thing that will be working with the kernel synology published with dsm

you can migrate to 3617 easily by swapping the loader an installing the same dsm version you have but for 3617

Edited by IG-88

Thanks for the answer guys.

I've generated 4 processes to run at 100% cpu and observed. I confirm the XPenology uses 100% of CPU for each core.

And in this case I could see my ESXi CPU was at 100% (so using all cores as well). So it seems like this message in logs has no impact and my VM uses all cores available

Thanks again

I just converted my Thecus n5810 with no issues. Wasn’t sure on the correct loader as it’s a parallel intel architecture (Celeron J1900, which I think is a Silvermont, shown released at similar time to Haswell). Instead of being patient and asking for advice, I took a punt:

- Outcome of the installation: SUCCESSFUL

- O/S prior to update: Thecus OS7

- Loader version and model: JUN'S LOADER v1.04b - DS918+ - DSM 6.3

- Using custom extra.lzma: NO

- Additional comments: UNLIKE SOME TIPS I HAD SEEN FOR OTHER THECUS NAS, I HAD TO LEAVE THE DOM PLUGGED IN OTHERWISE IT WOULD NOT EVEN BOOT TO POST AND NOTHING WOULD SHOW ON THE MONITOR. NOT TRIED REMOVING THIS SINCE INSTALLING DSM TO SEE IF STILL REQUIRED. NO ISSUES ENCOUNTERED YET WITH 4X 4GB WT RED DRIVES, CURRENTLY RUNNIING PLEX.

Edited by Woody

Hello All

i was able to successfully install the DS3617xs with DSM Version DSM 6.2.3-25426 with bootloader 1.03b.

on GA-EP43T-USB3 with intel C2Q Q9650 with 12GB ram.

but i am not able to update to the latest  DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 3.

can some one help me or point me to the right direction please?

7 hours ago, Woody said:

I just converted my Thecus n5810 with no issues. Wasn’t sure on the correct loader as it’s a parallel intel architecture (Celeron J1900, which I think is a Silvermont, shown released at similar time to Haswell). Instead of being patient and asking for advice, I took a punt:

- Outcome of the installation: SUCCESSFUL

- O/S prior to update: Thecus OS7

- Loader version and model: JUN'S LOADER v1.04b - DS918+ - DSM 6.3

- Using custom extra.lzma: NO

- Additional comments: UNLIKE SOME TIPS I HAD SEEN FOR OTHER THECUS NAS, I HAD TO LEAVE THE DOM PLUGGED IN OTHERWISE IT WOULD NOT EVEN BOOT TO POST AND NOTHING WOULD SHOW ON THE MONITOR. NOT TRIED REMOVING THIS SINCE INSTALLING DSM TO SEE IF STILL REQUIRED. NO ISSUES ENCOUNTERED YET WITH 4X 4GB WT RED DRIVES, CURRENTLY RUNNIING PLEX.

Sorry about the typo, I installed DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 3 directly with Jun's Loader v1.04b

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody,

I have working a virtual machine with DSM 6.1.7 update 3 as 3615xs in Proxmox with juns 1.02b and nic Intel e1000.

Now I want other virtual machine with DSM 6.2 but It does not work for me with Juns 1.03b and same nic, I have also tried with "VMware vmxnet3" and "Realtek RTL8139" but it does not work for me because didn't get any IP from my DHCP.

I have modified grub.con with the vm's MAC of corse.

Anyone can help me?

Thanks so much!!

Sorry I didn't read the last post.

I found this thead:

You can delete this post (I can't do it) I will continue in that post

Edited by enrgarc
news