sylvone

XPenology in a dedicated server

Hello all,

I just subscribed to loan an online dedicated server (soyoustart).

I have decided to install Proxmox VE5 on this dedicated server.

Then, I created a Virtual Machine, to run an Xpenology.

I downloaded Jun's loader and ran my VM.

So far so good, the machine boots  and is now waiting for the next step, which consists of installing DSM.

I am now facing the following issue : I cannot detect it to proceed to the installation, neither using http://find.synology.com nor using Synology Assistant.

That sounds logical, as my computer (which is currently in France) is not on the same network that the VM (which is virtualized on a dedicated server located in Canada).

I then have three questions :

first one : is there any way to check wheter the VM is connected and has an Internet acces or not ?

second : is there any way to force Synology assistant to look for a NAS on a specific network to reach my VM through Internet ?

third : if not, how can I proceed to connect to Xpenology and proceed to the DSM installation ?

I have also an XPenology virtualized at home with esXi, and I have of course not faced this issue, as this VM is on my LAN.

Your help would be really appreciated !

Edited by sylvone

Well, I only can notice my topic is either boring or too complicated.

I will try to install a second VM just to check if there is any way to install DSM it :-)

If someone has any idea, I'm still listening :-)

Why don't you create a co-located VM (install to the same IP network) and install DSM Assistant?

That is exactly what I aml currently doing.
Thought that could have been easier :-)

On 10/17/2018 at 9:32 PM, sylvone said:

second : is there any way to force Synology assistant to look for a NAS on a specific network to reach my VM through Internet ?

third : if not, how can I proceed to connect to Xpenology and proceed to the DSM installation ?

Don't bother with Synology Assistant, use a network scanner and put the IP Range (given out by DHCP in the remote site) into it.. Then look for the MAC Addresses you assigned..

I use NetScan.exe. This used to be free and you can still find the free version (6.2.1 is the latest free version) by doing a Google search..