mysy

Synology 2019 New product and DSM 7.0 release

Lets hope they finally allow us to browse the contents of BTRFS Snapshots on Encrypted folders! I also wouldn't mind being able to format external drives as BTRFS and encrypt them

I can hope for file deletion in HyperBackup, but I feel like that is never going to happen

I don't think browsing encrypted snapshots is possible.

I hope they finally get to their senses and put proper regex filters to all their products that need them (Hyperbackup, Drive, Cloudstation, etc).

Yeah that was my entire point

Almost all other storage platforms let you browse snapshots on encrypted volumes. I think the issue is that the encryption is not on the whole volume, but per shared folder

Hello,

Maybe a good new: https://www.nextinpact.com/news/107155-entretienavecsynologyfrance-10gbe-cpu-plus-puissants-ryzen-licence-dsm-suivi-services.htm

Citation

Ryzen and dematerialized DSM license: Synology thinks about it

Will we have Synology NAS with an AMD Ryzen processor, allowing for example to take advantage of a large number of core/threads for virtualization for example? "It's in progress" says the brand, still as stingy in detail as ever. After the integration of an NVIDIA GPU, Synology could also integrate AMD CPUs.

Another change that has been expected for several years now is the possibility of acquiring a virtualized DSM license, without having a manufacturer's NAS, in order to use it on another machine or a private cloud for example. A solution that is in great demand and that is no longer necessarily rejected en bloc by Synology.

On the other hand, the manufacturer wants to avoid white marks and a bad experience for the user, for example if the DSM runs on a machine that is too limited. The manufacturer absolutely wants to avoid "damaging" the brand image of its interface with a bad user experience due to third party practices.

The whole thing could therefore be quite limited, at least at first. It should be recalled that alternatives already exist with the possibility of renting a Synology NAS, notably from Infomaniak for example (RS217, RS519 or RS818+).