XPEnology Community

How to install DSM 5.0 4458 using gnoboot-me

First I'd like too thank gnoboot for all his work on this release. I am somewhat of a newbie but was able to get DSM 5.0 4458 running on Virtualbox. I used the following process:

1. Extracted gnoboot-alpha10.3-vfat.7z

2. Converted gnoboot-alpha10.3-vfat.img to xpenology5.vdi (http://www.webupd8.org/2009/12/convert- ... rtual.html )

3. Downloaded Synology Assistant and DSM_DS3612xs_4458.pat from Synology

4. Setup VitualBox VM (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17 )

5. Run VM - Choose gnoboot.me (gnoboot-alpha resulted in error when running Synology Assistant)

6. Run Synology Assistant

7. After reboot you can let gnoboot-alpha run

I only have two issues:

1. Undefined video Mode - When booting xpenology there is a message for undefined video mode and requires you to wait 30 seconds or choose a video mode. Is there a way around this? Not really an issue - but it would be nice to not have to wait or enter something.

2. Serial Number – I don’t know how to enter a serial number. The serial number is empty. I’ve looked at the .img file and used WinSCP against running xpenology and can’t find the grub.conf. How do I enter a serial number?

2. Serial Number – I don’t know how to enter a serial number. The serial number is empty. I’ve looked at the .img file and used WinSCP against running xpenology and can’t find the grub.conf. How do I enter a serial number?

The same for me. no grub.conf file....

Hi,

I have problem with booting gnoBoot.

Command:

sudo dd if=gnoboot-alpha10.3-vfat/gnoboot-alpha10.3-vfat.img of=/dev/disk3

I tried also win32diskimager ...

gnoBoot got the flash drive, but when you add it to the PC will not boot from it (synoboot boot it -> DSM 4.3), I tried to insert flash disk into VirtualBox virtually (USB ports) nothing and also his.

But if I converted img to VDI and added it to the VirtualBox everything no problems works.

You do not know what the problem is?

Thanks

Thanks gnoboot! Update work 99% fine! Only my ds audio not work. I dont't know....anyone has same problem?

Yeah, I can't seem to get ds audio working either. I can use it from the web interface, but when I try to connect my Android device I get "Network is not available now". When I try to connect with my iPad it says something about authentication.

Also, I haven't been able to get Plex working yet.

I only have two issues:

1. Undefined video Mode - When booting xpenology there is a message for undefined video mode and requires you to wait 30 seconds or choose a video mode. Is there a way around this? Not really an issue - but it would be nice to not have to wait or enter something.

Did you find something for this ? Not critical but annoying :mrgreen:

Hi there.

I installed DSM 5.0 4458 by using gnoboot yesterday successfully as an upgrade from 4.3. The system is run on an old Acer H340 headless system.

To solve the issues with the video mode you could edit the menu_alpha.lst by adding video mode as bootflag. Video mode 370 is invalid. I guess that's a typo. Should better be 307. Like this:

title gnoboot-alpha

root (hd0,0)

kernel /zImage vga=0x0307 sn=B3JN12345

Thanks to gnoboot for the great work. :smile:

Hello,

I would like to test DSM 5.0 on my Vmware Esxi 5.5 environment.

I've been reading different threads but don't seems to find a step by step on how to do a clean install.

I would really appreciate if any of you can guide me trough the steps of installing DSM 5.0 using gnoboot-me as a virtual machine.

Thank you in advance,

Zeek

Hello,

I would like to test DSM 5.0 on my Vmware Esxi 5.5 environment.

I've been reading different threads but don't seems to find a step by step on how to do a clean install.

I would really appreciate if any of you can guide me trough the steps of installing DSM 5.0 using gnoboot-me as a virtual machine.

Thank you in advance,

Zeek

Hi,

Did you try this

http://www.thedarkcloud.net

?

Hi,

I tried to upgrade my N54L from 4.3 to 5.0-4458 with gnoboot. The problem is that the installation of the .pat file fails at 43%. After reboot (with gnoboot-alpha) the N54L the system is up and the info shows version 5.0-4418 (?), the webui is 4.3 (XPEnology4.3). The .pat file i used was the 4458 version from the synology page. The Setup assistant ist version 5.0-4418. Any ideas?

thx

as

- Web station and photo station not working. The usergroup 'http' is not listed. Had to manually create the account in usergroups. Given the right permissions on web folder and web station started to work. Needed to re-install photo station.

Can you shed a little light on this? I just upgraded to gnoboot 5.0 and I can't get my photo station running. I tried creating "http" through the gui, and it said it was reserved. I found it in the user list via SSH, but I'm not sure what it needs access to.

Thanks

Hi all.

I have a N54L with vga out but the TV I use only has hdmi AND I can't afford a converter.

I was told in another thread that if I changed the "hd0,0" in boot\grub, it would boot off the usb stick.

But I would have to changed it back or have another usb stick ready when it re-boots.

What I want to know is what do I changed the "hd0,0" to? and do I changed it in all the .list files ?

thanks.