XPEnology Community

Trying to fetch DSM 6.0> on a DS1010+

simkard

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Honestly i got tired of waiting so I decided to try myself.... I failed but not completely.

This was my experience (and likely how simkard also proceeded):

1) I tried first with the latest 6.2 build for 1511+ and in short after edits (which will be described below) when trying to update via manual update in DSM it said it failed and to try an earlier v6.0.1 build 7321 which I did and points below is what I did with this build. NOTE: I had to uninstall the current plex package as a warning told me to do so because it was  incompatible with the v6 build I was using.

2) depacked the .pat file as it's just a renamed tar

3) Modified the VERSION and GRUB_VER files; basically replaced any 1511 with 1010

4) using last step mentioned in https://xpenology.com/wiki/en/building_xpenology and using the synochecksum from https://github.com/andy928/synochecksum I updated the checksum.syno file with the new checksums (and totals on the bottom line if needed). NOTE: I did not do part 3 "synobios modification". 

5) packed in all back together into a tar and renamed to pat.

6) used manual install on the DSM 5.2 and gave it this modified pat file.... it ran all the way to 100% and then the 1010+ rebooted.

7) when it came back up it give me the flashing orange. connecting to it via browser it open web synology assistant, it showed me a migration  page like as if I was migrating the disks/volume from a 1511+ to a 1010+, incidentally it was also showing the device info as running DSM 6 (pc synology assistant also showed it running DSM 6 but with "migratable" as status)

8 ) tried to migrate with "keep settings" asked for a pat file again gave it the same modified one and it failed; tried without keep settings and still failed.

9) I then started to try roll back changes which is a nightmare if you go in blindly.

10) rollback step 1, you need to get telnet enabled, which I found could be done by pc synology assistant when you tell it to install and give it a unmodified pat file and which fails and then opens telnet port for diagnostics (there may be other ways to do this see next step). NOTE: usually the clock resets and the default root password is 101-0101 BUT if you take too long the clock may update along with password (see this for what to do: https://wiki.mbirth.de/know-how/hacking/synology-telnet-password.html but perhaps just easier to reboot and be faster next time)

11) rollback step 2, using steps in this https://www.reddit.com/r/synology/comments/64eu39/downgrading_synology_dsm_61_to_52_and_then_to_602/ and the DSM 5.2 for 1010+ pat

12) used web synology assistant and gave it the the unmodified 1010+ pat file; "downgrade" worked and when the 1010+ rebooted it was back to normal, volume was there, data was there ... it's as if nothing had happened (save that plex was uninstalled :) )

Perhaps this is where simkard got to before he tried to engage xpenology community. Perhaps the synobios modification is needed I don't know.

I don't know how long @simkard is going to keep us waiting and while I understand that yes in the past hackers have held back the exploit because of an imminent new release of xxxx, they don't keep it indefinitely (and usually when there is STRONG evidence that a new release is coming with DAYS/WEEKS not MONTHS see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5sLB1nCNQY&feature=youtu.be directly from Synology PLM they say end of this year!) and it would be more beneficial for the community of everyone at least gets 6.2 now than waiting for DSM 7. It's a cat and mouse game, leave the problem of getting DSM 7 for another day, if synology do indeed close the initial exploit. It maybe that DSM 7 on day 1 would not be vulnerable to the exploit regardless....

Edited by PTinTX

• 2 months later...

I still have and use my DS1010+ but I have marginalized it's use to a duplicate backup/restore server with some additional redundancy. But I simply resolved to not buy another Synology ever because they left a perfectly working piece of technology hanging out there to languish into neverland solely for reasons of making more money on newer models. Which I personally believe is self defeating because anyone who has been on the wrong end of this issue with Synology becomes jaded and usually refuses to be a repeat customer. It is totally sad because it is an otherwise phenominal product.

So I set out to choose a different brand... only to realize that also regardless of the company stands a realistic chance of having the same thing happen to it. So finally I woke up to the fact that I was kicking against personal progress and simply built one to my own specs. I am glad that this post was made NOT because it fixed my immediate problem but because it made me sit up and pay attention to what Xpenology is and what they are trying to do!

In interests of full disclosure I actually went with FreeBSD as my operating system for it but only for reaaaaally esoteric reasons that most ppl will niether need or run into. And truth be told, I am constantly rethinking that decision.

If this guy or someone else ever figures this out maybe I will get some additional use out of my DS1010+ but I would just like to say THANK YOU to XPENOLOGY for being here and for all the work you have done! It helps move many of us forward!

• 7 months later...
Le 26/10/2018 à 16:14, simkard a dit :

Just to inform you that I successfully installed latest DS 6.2.1 on my DS1010+ with everything running fine so far ... even automatic updates apply and run fine after reboot of NAS.

Hi,

I currently own a DS1010+, and trully urge to use snapshots rather than the regular tgz backup thing.

May it be possible for you to send me the kind of hack you did on your own?

Thanks, and best regards.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/15/2020 at 6:32 PM, asr4work said:

Hi,

I currently own a DS1010+, and trully urge to use snapshots rather than the regular tgz backup thing.

May it be possible for you to send me the kind of hack you did on your own?

Thanks, and best regards.

Is there a blog/manual available. I desperately want a new docker version on my 1010+ as well using DSM 6.2+

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

the cpu is a Intel D510 Atom, it's 64bit capable

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/43098/intel-atom-processor-d510-1m-cache-1-66-ghz.html

what might work is to backup the internal usb module with Win32DiskImager (as a way back if needed) and then install loader 1.03b 3615 to it (setting the vid/pid to the one synology uses in its usb module, afair f400:f400)

also the default ram of 1GB might not be enough, the original 3615 comes with 4GB, maybe it will work with 2GB or 3GB but 4GB would be safe

• 2 months later...
On 3/13/2019 at 9:31 AM, simkard said:

Soon ... website creation actually IN PROGRESS :) 

Happy New Year 2021!

DSM7.0 BETA release is available now from here:

https://prerelease.synology.com/en-global/download/dsm70_beta?

It does not have DSM7 for DS1511+ (the cousin of DS1010+)
but can you please check the beta and if good please release your method to upgrade old NAS to lastest DSM version.

Thanks!!!!

Bonne Année 2021!

La version DSM7.0 BETA est maintenant disponible à partir d'ici:

https://prerelease.synology.com/en-global/download/dsm70_beta?

Il n'a pas de DSM7 pour DS1511 + (le cousin de DS1010 +) mais pouvez-vous s'il vous plaît vérifier la version bêta et si elle est bonne, veuillez publier votre méthode pour mettre à niveau l'ancien NAS vers la dernière version de DSM.

Merci!!!!

• 1 month later...

Have been looking to try running DSM6 on a DS1010+ I've just acquired. If it's of any consequence, have looked at DSM_DS1511+7393, as yet been unable to successfully boot. In rd (rd.gz), which can be uncompressed using 7zip, says it's a lzma archive, I have found references to the DS1010+ in rd/usr/lib/modules/synobios.ko which look identical with those for DS1511+. No idea if and how this maybe relevant?

i guess you main problem might be that the original bios will only boot from a usb device with usb vid/pid f400/f400

so you might need to copy the content of the internal usb module (as backup) and then write the xpenology loader to it

i can't say for sure as i did not test it and last time someone wanted to do that his usb modules was not working anymore

• 1 month later...

Have successfully built and am running latest DSM6.2.4 on my 1010 set up as a 1511. Can confirm you need a usb stick with PID/VID both set to F400 else the DSM writing settings procedure will fail. Can reprogram the internal usb if you like too. Just need to create a custom made 1511 bootloader with your MAC addresses and 1010 serial number and write to external/internal usb. Have written a rather lengthy post, here...

Edited by Andrewcee
  • Like 2

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 3/9/2021 at 4:26 AM, Andrewcee said:

Have successfully built and am running latest DSM6.2.4 on my 1010 set up as a 1511. Can confirm you need a usb stick with PID/VID both set to F400 else the DSM writing settings procedure will fail. Can reprogram the internal usb if you like too. Just need to create a custom made 1511 bootloader with your MAC addresses and 1010 serial number and write to external/internal usb. Have written a rather lengthy post, here...

@Andrewcee Thank you so much for this. I haven't had any time to look at this yet, but this reply was prompted by receipt of an email from Synology a couple weeks ago (though I just saw it now due to a strict junk mail whitelist) stating EOL on May 31st, 2023 for updates/downloads of any installation files from DSM 6.2.3 and older. I hope that at some point I'm able to follow your instructions successfully for my DS1010+. If I need to do a recovery, will I need to keep a download of DSM 5.2-5967 Update 9 handy?